Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Clash on Macintosh

Hi guys,

I have just downloaded v7 and try to make it work on an Macintosh iBook under MacOS X (10.2). (800x600 screen, 128 Mb RAM, 500Mz).

This is amazingly simple and works well. At least I was able to begin a game and to start reading the embeded tutorial scenarios.

After download of the .zip archive uncompress it. Then I renamed the .bat file into rund7.sh and replaced the shell with the following command:

java -jar ClashD7.jar -classpath ./

then in a terminal window, go to the directory where is located the jar file and type:
    sh rund7.sh

=> it works fine!

I start further investigation.

Pierre.

Hey Pierre, Thanks for posting the how-to guide!

BTW my email is out at home, so if you replied to me recently by email, I haven't gotten it yet. Hopefully it will be fixed when the cable guy comes today.

Back to the purpose of this thread...

Once we get a few more details down on your approach I'll put it on the D7 download page. Two questions occur to me as I read:

1. Can you give details on the url at which they should download java? Is there a JRE for mac, or do mac users need to download the whole sdk?

2. I wasn't clear to me what "replaced the shell" means. Is that a command in the renamed .bat file, or something else? When we're ready to 'go live' with this, if you could just provide a file mac users can use, we can put it in the zip file, it'd be great.

Thanks again!

-Mark
    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

I'm another mac user and I think I can answer the questions.

The JRE is built into OS X. If clash uses Java 2 (likely), it probably won't run on OS 9.

I'm using 10.1, and the procedure is actually simpler than what was described. All mac users need to do is disregard the batch file and double click on the jar file.
      Andy Black

Comment

Mark,

Andy is right.

- On MacOS X, JRE comes 'natively' with the system hence a simple double click on the jar file is sufficient. However, on previous versions of the OS (8 and 9) I guess you have to download additional libs. Moreover the way to start the game might differ. I will check this out since I kept an old MacOS 9 on my iBook and hopefully the MRJ libraries (Mac Runtime for Java)necessary to run this.

However, all the details about the Mac Runtime For Java and the optional developpement kits (for programmers) can be found on:

- As for updating the RUN_D7.bat, it is more for the 'programmers'.
        I just went to a terminal window (unix shell).I renamed the RUN_D7.bat file into RUN_D7.sh and then edited the new file and replace the old text by

java -jar CLASHD7.JAR -classpath ./

================================================
        As a conclusion, in order to launch the game, we might just say:

For players:
        - On MacOSX: double click on the jar
        - On MacOS 8, MacOS 9: (to be checked)

For programmers:
        - Idem as for players
        - Use the RUN_D7.sh shell. (here you can specify options if you want, since I read that you have defined some options that can be passed to the game main() )

Pierre.

Comment

Thanks, Andy and Pierre, for all the good suggestions. It's great to have this information available for Mac users!

I'll put a link to this discussion in the Demo 7 Download and Comments thread right now, and will also mention it in the download page next time we redo it.

Please put any bugs/feature requests that relate to the Mac running of the demo in the demo 7 thread. You should probably specify that you are running on a Mac along with the bug report just in case.

Thanks again,

Mark
          A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).

Comment

MacOS 9 and Clash of Civilisations

Hi all,

I have checked the possibility to compile and run clash on Mac under MacOS9.

It does not work for the obvious reason that clash uses Java 2 Standard Edition classes. Some classes such as HashMap exist only in this new version of java.

The latest MRJ for OS9 (Mac Runtime for Java) is MRJ2.5.5 and is based on JDK 1.1.8 (an older version of java).

If anyone knows about a J2SE version of the MRJ for MacOS9 let me know.

Thank you.

Meanwhile I go back to the incredible MacOS X!

==================================
            For additional details you can have a look at:

http://java.sun.com/apis.html (java apis specifications)
            http://developer.apple.com/java/download.html (MRJ + MRJ SDK)
            java.sun.com/products/jfc/download.archive.html (swing 1.1.1)

Comment

Where exactally can I download Clash for Mac? And also, is it completely impossible for it to work under system 9?

Thanks
              - Narz
              Shop Amazon thru my Searchbox, thanks! Narz's Chess Page

Comment

Hi Narz. You just need to download the zip file per the windows instructions (see Demo 7 thread), and then unzip the .jar file from it. Then, as said above, you just double-click on the jar file icon... provided of course you're using OS X. For OS 9, I guess you'll have to wait and see if any of the java-mac people can come up with the right download of java for you. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Comment

Working...
                X