Alpha Centauri elements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpha Centauri elements

I have got a proposition to join features of the Civilsiation and Alpha Centauri. I have never foudn a game that would join both features.
    What I propose is to extend normal Civilisation by elements used in Alpha Centauri. Taht means new wonders, technologies, terraforming abilites, structures, units.
    It could be a continuation of nroaml game and option to start.
    If you are itnerested I could work mroe on it, that is choose fitting technologies, wonders, units and structures and also add new fitting that theme.

Clash of Civilization is not Civilization, let alone Alpha Centauri.

Clash of Civilizations is an attempt to produce a Civilization-like strategy game based, however, on realistic modelling of the the development of civilizations. The level of realism now is something like 20% (compared to Civilization with around 2%).

In particular, there are no Wonders, since there is no way at all that Civilization style Wonders have any relationship to any real world.

Another decision made a while ago is that Clash does not extend into the future. The game ends at the current date in the real world (or sooner, depending on the scenario).

A third factor is that the game is still early in development. The fact that we cannot save games suggests this. In this early stage of devlopment the game is restricted to the ancient era, loosely defined as before the discovery of gunpowder. Space ships are quite difficult to construct with that level of technology (though there was a rather wonderful science fiction novel, serialized in what was then called Astounding Science Fiction called "The High Crusade", however that depended on highjacking an alien spaceship).

Cheers

Comment

I am not saying to impement it now but in the game.
      Without that Clash will be jsut another Civilisation clone, mroe detailed, with better graphics, with better ideas.
      But wh ydon't make something more? Waht is wrong in exceding game into the future? You coudl always switch it off.
      Some people may be bored of taht ending in 2k. Let's give them more.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeldor
        I am not saying to impement it now but in the game.
        Without that Clash will be jsut another Civilisation clone, mroe detailed, with better graphics, with better ideas.
        That's like saying a modern computer tennis simulator is nothing but a Pong clone! That said, here's my comments on some of the statements Gary made:

In particular, there are no Wonders, since there is no way at all that Civilization style Wonders have any relationship to any real world.
        There actually is a crudely developed Wonders model already worked out. However its not in the coding plans yet because it is very low on our priorities. In keeping with Clash goals, the wonders don't do magical things. You may want to briefly check out the wonders model which I believe has its own page on the web page.

Another decision made a while ago is that Clash does not extend into the future. The game ends at the current date in the real world (or sooner, depending on the scenario).
        Our decision was to generally have the supported game end in some time not too far from now. The basic game would essentially end sometime crudely around 2000-2100. But the not too far from now part can also be crudely defined as including technologies that we can see potentially coming, and that is certainly fertile ground for whole-history scenarios that extend into the not-too-distant future that players that want them can participate in.

For now we don't plan to go farther. However given our serious support for scenario construction, anyone that desires to could probably extend the game on earth indefinitely. All that is required is a view on how technology will progress.
        Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
        A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
        Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

So maybe 2500? It wouldnt be much technologies.
          Maybe a sequel with future?
          Anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Zeldor
            So maybe 2500? It wouldnt be much technologies.
            Maybe a sequel with future?
            Anything?
            Hey Zeldor:

I think both of your suggestions could easily be done. The first as an alternative to the base game ending in the present, and the second as a stand-alone scenario. All that is needed is the dedication by someone (you?) to put in the work. If you want to be the one, you could even start learning about the specs for scenario building even at this stage. We already have extensive scenario-building capabilities and they will get even stronger in the next few demo releases!
            A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).

Comment

Ok,
              so I will think now on making it. I will start with the things that are enough documented.

Comment

OK, Zeldor. The first thing you need to do is make sure you can run the demo. Once you do that, let me know, and I'll set you up with the necessary info. There may be a bit of a delay, since we need to get the pre-D7.1 code a little more squared away before it will run properly.

But for now you could start with understanding what is in the D7 scenarios. Things in the xml files haven't changed much since then. If you open the D7 .jar file with winzip, and look in the \scenarios directory you will see the scenario xml files. Email me and I'll email back to you the file that explains the xml scenario file entries.

Looking forward to seeing what you can come up with!

Comment

Ok, I am playing now the demo and I will tell you when I finis hthescenarios.

Comment

Well I do want to extend it beyond 2100, but right now, i'm not working on that until we got most of the fundimental worked out...hell we don't even have ancient warefare completed!

I'd like to be able to have a scenerio for after (starting from beginning) to try and terraform Mars and setup colonies there and have political fracturing/whatnot like what happened starting in the later 18th century with european (and later US) colonies.
                    Which Love Hina Girl Are You?
                    Mitsumi Otohime
                    Oh dear! Are you even sure you answered the questions correctly?) Underneath your confused exterior, you hold fast to your certainties and seek to find the truth about the things you don't know. While you may not be brimming with confidence and energy, you are content with who you are and accepting of both your faults and the faults of others. But while those around you love you deep down, they may find your nonchalance somewhat infuriating. Try to put a bit more thought into what you are doing, and be more aware of your surroundings.

Comment

I see that my ideas arent welcomed. As you say it not a time to think about making soemthing beyond 2100.
                      So I will look at the project status soemtimes and if you'd like to have it, you can always count on me.

Comment

Hey Zeldor:

As you say the time isn't now to look in depth into post-2100 scenarios. But if this is really important to you, I suggest you keep up to date on the demos with an eye toward making sure all the facets are doable that you would like in a post-2100 game.

Comment

Yes, I am going to visit that website quite often as I see it will be a really good game.

BTW how to cancel movement orders?

Comment

Hi Zeldor:

To cancel a move order, you right-click on the TF in the Units box. One of the options allows you to cancel. That info is in the Dawn tutorial scenario, and if you haven't gone through that yet, you should.

Comment

Hehe, I skipped half of the tutorial
                              And mvoed to the rest of the scenarios.... yeah like most of players does.

Comment

Working...
                              X