Clear All

• Clash Modability

Hey guys.

Question:

How Modable will Clash be? For example can I:
    - Go into a file and make a map?
    - Go into a file and change unit stats?
    - Add techs/units/buildings/etc?
    - Change the graphics of units/techs/buildings/tile imps/terrain?
    - Add Great Library entries for all the above?

As a Modder of CTP2 I find this quite interesting, and something that really enhances the life of a TBS-Civ styled game.

Hi Dale,
    - Go into a file and make a map? YES
    - Go into a file and change unit stats? YES
    - Add techs/units/buildings/etc?
    You can probably add techs now, you can definitely add units . There are no buildings.
    - Change the graphics of units/techs/buildings/tile imps/terrain? YES
    - Add Great Library entries for all the above? You will be able to do the equivalent of that.

I put smilies where I am 100% sure it is already coded. The files are xml, so you can actually open them in IE and look at what they look like, expanding/collapsing sections. That's a bit verbose, but at least simply opening it in a browser tells you if it is badly formatted, instead of civ2 shouting at you it doesn't understand a rules.txt you spent hours tinkering into (of course, if you are not a fool, you made a few saves of the various steps... argh I forgot to do that)
    In D6 you can open the jar with any unzipper like it were a zip file (it is) and look at resources folder. What's in there is moddable. As of D6, I don't think the map is in yet but units are (military.xml). Look at it and tell me how much it is understandable. I can at the minimum add new comments lines to explain things that are murky.
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

EXCELLENT!

I'll check it out sometime this weekend (if I can, RL is really hitting hard at the moment) and let you know.

If Clash can become as moddable as CTP2 is (even to adding events and such) then Clash will be awesome.

Comment

One detail also, Richard made a program that allows editing the technology file more cleanly than hand-editing the xml file:

Note that the application part is probably obsolete, as it actually belongs to other files (military for instance).
        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Will the AI be moddable?

Big Dave
          Any flames in this message are solely in the mind of the reader.

Comment

Hi Big Dave:

We're still wrestling with that one, but we definitely would like to. The part of the AI where details of plans are made, called DetermineActions, is where this will go when we figure out how to do it. But I want to see how our cutting edge AI concept works with hard-coded guiding strategies first. See the second page of the AI thread if you're interested in our overall approach.
            Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
            A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
            Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

We currently have a military.xml and a technology.xml file, plus scenario and map files. I think we will have to precise in the scenario which military and technology files are to be used in order to allow mods to be installed without the "Save the original file somewhere, replace them and put it back in place when you have finished" stuff. Since the map is already precised by the scenario file, I think this should be pretty trivial to do, and we could still use the default files if unspecified.

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
                We currently have a military.xml and a technology.xml file, plus scenario and map files. I think we will have to precise in the scenario which military and technology files are to be used in order to allow mods to be installed without the "Save the original file somewhere, replace them and put it back in place when you have finished" stuff. Since the map is already precised by the scenario file, I think this should be pretty trivial to do, and we could still use the default files if unspecified.
                This is exactly what I was coming into this thread to talk about. After looking through the testbed, here's my suggestion:

In the scenario xml file (the one in class\scenarios\dawn1.xml etc) have a "gamefiles" section where you can specify other files to use. IE: I create a scenario called "Pharoh's Race" and within pharoh.xml I specify the following:

"gamefiles"
                "tech"PHA_technology.xml"/tech"
                "military"PHA_military.xml"/military"
                "/gamefiles"

Basically, this will load my technology and military files, but the default files for other areas.

This way, no overwrites need be done to the default files.

EDIT: changed < .. > to quotes as they didn't show up.

Comment

Working...
                X