Provinces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Provinces

Are provinces needed? What's the relation between them and govt administration? How expansion and provinces should be connected?

A little theory: In game terms you need to determine where several things happen. Things like where units are built, where infrastructure investment is made, where an independence attempt is made. In CIVX (Sid Meier's Civ1, Civ2, etc) we used the concept of cities for that, each one of them taking care of a group of mapsquares.

For Clash one possibiliy is to use directly mapsquares and do everything there, but that'd be a nightmare for players. There're just too many of them to take decisions at that level. Also, it'd be problematic to simulate things like religion spreading or other social effects, because you'd have to move information from one tile to the other surrounding tiles and that's expensive.

Using mapsquares grouped is a must to realisticly model social and economic effects.

What was proposed very early in the project, I assume by Mark, was to use Provinces, like CIVX grouping mapsquares, but beyond an individual city. That's good in terms of modeling and realism (given provinces along the game will adjust and in general grow) because historically, as tranportation and communications developed, the area where economic and social relations take place grows and cities, towns and the countryside experience interconnections of greater scope.

But here comes the problem: Governments (civs), as they progress, tend to make an administrative division of their land, creating provinces, districts, etc in order to get more efficient administration. But this division does not necessarily match the requirementes from a modeling point of view, as described in the previous paragraph.

What I've seen through my time in the team is the word "province" has been used with these two meanings/perspectives, producing confusion. Province, as a modeling tool, and Province, as a game feature for govt management, are not the same.

One of course tends to think administrative, social and economic stuff could be well handled all in the same territorial "unit" called "province" and that's why IMO all of us have carried on with the ambiguous interpretation of "provinces" never caring to clarify the concept.

But what if your empire isn't organized in (administrative) provinces? (early empires didn't have such divisions). Then you'd need a civ made of a single province. On the other side, one assumes players should be able to organize their (administrative) provinces freely. Is this possible?

The problem is the size/location/shape of administrative provinces does not match necessarily the size/location/shape of the provinces you need for accurate modeling of social and economic things. If you let players change province borders, then modeling gets damaged.

If we want to model an empire with no administrative divisions, then the result of having just one big province is social and economic modeling fails. The mongols under your one-big-province chinese empire would be influenced by the culture of the vietnamese when in reality the two peoples are just too distant from each other to have any sort of social interaction.

To model things correctly, there must be divisions. We need provinces (although the name isn't the best because of the administrative implications it has in common language) even if the empire is not "officialy" divided administratively.

Provinces, though, have their own problems:
    1) Militarily, I've seen many times comments about what happens when a (single) mapsquare changes hands. Contrary to CIVX, where you conquer cities (and therefore groups of mapsquares), in Clash there seems to be the intention of managing military conquests at the mapsquare level. Of course this is more realistic, but it produces problems with the structure of provinces. In simple terms, the nearest province owned by the conqueror should be enlarged to include the new tile, while loser's province must be shrinked to exclude the lost tile. This rises questions like how long a military unit must stay in a square to allow the game to adjust province borders (because that's something we don't want to do often).
    2) As Gary has said, for realism, you don't need to conquer a piece of land to call it your own. History shows a simple declaration of ownership is enough. Of course that may trigger unrest in those lands and maybe an international incident with other civ, but the bottom line is the game needs to do something with that declaration in terms of provincial organization and it isn't clear what. FE, Should provines of different civs be allowed to overlap if both civs have declared sovereignity over the same land?

As a summary:
    A) We need Modeling Provinces to simulate correctly economic and social stuff, but their size and shape will not match, in general, with the Administrative Provinces the govt manages.

B) Creating and updating administrative provinces can be a tough task if individual mapsquares can change hands due to military campaigns or sovereignity declarations.

Note provinces structure and adjustment has a lot to do with the process of civ expansion. No doubt why the problem of province interpretation rised in the "Expansion and Settlement" thread.

Here ends the presentation of what I see is the problem.

---------------------
    A Possible Solution

First of all, since a big part of the problem comes from using the same word for two different things, let me define Modeling Provinces as Regions, so I'll use the word "Provinces" only for the administrative division made by the govt.

Regions will be, then, a group of mapsquares where social and economic modeling is made.

At the beginning of the game there's population all over the place and the whole planet is divided in Regions. Social and economic models are applied each turn to each Region.

The player starts in one of these regions, controling it entirely. He makes with it everything we enviosioned so far, collecting taxes, investing, building troops, etc. All other Regions in the world are Independent Regions, uncontrolled by players, with no centralized govt. Each indep. region represents a multitude of small kingdoms and has a few military units for self-defense. In other words, I'm propsing here Indep. Regions = Minor Civs.

The player sees there're Indep. Regions surrounding his own and sees their borders. With a just built task force, decides to expand. Send it to one of those Indep. Regions and once inside it, press "d" to make his troops declare sovereignity over the region. These are just words, so nothing really happens for now(maybe a couple rebels appear). In general, though, it can have consequences in diplomacy with other civs who might not be willing to accept his sovereignity over certain territories.

But what the player really wants is to have control over the Indep. Region, so he fights "barbarian" units there. Once wiped out, the kingdoms acknowledge his sovereignity and now the region stops being independent and starts being part of his empire.

The riots model will simulate any future possible rebellions against his rule. In particular, if rebels are strong enough to kill all player's armies in the region, it goes back to independent again.

Doing this, the player forms his empire as a collection of regions. Regions are used by the player as normal "provinces" (in the sense the word has had until now), allowing him to build units, etc, but the performance of the region depends on the amount of institutional infra existing, management tech level, the number of administrators and the level of control the central govt has over the local govts, as described by the govt model and as the interconnections between that model and the econ model dictate (TBD).

(Note "local govts" here means local authorities, whatever they may be. They could be, FE, the kings who acknowledged the civ's sovereignity. It doesn't necessarily mean the civ has put a formal administration in the region)

As time passes and the player is able to invest in the region's administration and as he secures a high level of control over it, the region slowly becomes more of a province, in the administrative sense of the word. But we don't call it province yet.

A province is an organization of the territory that allows you to have better administration. If the civ has the management tech level high enough, then, as an application, you could have something like "territorial divisions". Having this application, you could implement, paying, a land organization of your regions, converting them into provinces. Only regions you have enough control on could receive this treatment. The effect should be a bonus in administration effectiveness.

In this way the division of territories (which is needed anyway) has one name when it isn't "officialy" part of a govt administration strategy and has another name when it is. And the process of organizing your territory, as a game experience, gives you an advantage in administration with respect to other civs.

On the other side, as investment in transp/comm grows, it'd be possible to join together regions/provinces. Every 100 yeras, for example, we check planet-wide if that can be made. As we enter modern times, the number of regions/provinces decreases and their size increases.

As for military campaigns, I think we shouldn't model things at the mapsquare level. If enemy units are inside one of your regions/provinces, then production should be penalized, but there shouldn't be any change of borders until a peace treaty is signed or until the whole region is conquered.

In the case of a peace treaty, when both sides have units inside a region, then a new frontier could be calculated and put in the diplomacy screen to let players know where the new borders are being negotiated. In that case individual mapsquares would be rearranged.

An obvious corollary of this approach is to discard map squares entirely and use polygons for the regions, and true map coordinates for the position of units. In turn this will allow microterrain to be implemented.

Nirvana.

Cheers

Comment

While i agree with Gary's point, i don't see it happening for a while (like build 50), but that's another issue.

What i think should be done is the player or AI cannot arbitraily consolidate 2 or more provinces without enough power for adminstrative purposes, FE a Fedual king can't say 'You two dukes, your now one province because it makes my administration easier' They'd never stand for it. On the other hand, during the European 'Age of Empires' they did just that, arbitraliy make divisions based on what they controlled, in total disreguard to the previous regions and provinces structure (which is one reason we all these mini-wars today).

For the creation and deletion/conversion (for lack of better term) of provinces, this should be let to the AI, but with restictions upon the rulers Political Power.
      Which Love Hina Girl Are You?
      Mitsumi Otohime
      Oh dear! Are you even sure you answered the questions correctly?) Underneath your confused exterior, you hold fast to your certainties and seek to find the truth about the things you don't know. While you may not be brimming with confidence and energy, you are content with who you are and accepting of both your faults and the faults of others. But while those around you love you deep down, they may find your nonchalance somewhat infuriating. Try to put a bit more thought into what you are doing, and be more aware of your surroundings.

Comment

Even if we use this system of regions, which I find pretty good, we can still use the system of changing ownership of individual maphexes during military conquest.

The difference with the old approach is that now the regions borders do not get modified by the ownership of indiviual map squares, and we introduce a rule that in order to get control of a province, you would have to own a certain percentage of that regions map hexes. Think about WW2, even though provinces and countries 'changed hands' (read: gets occupied), their borders stayed the same. The occupation power uses the already existing regional organization since this is what falls naturally to most people.

That does not mean a province borders cannot be changed during the game. It can and should, not by the actual military action of conquering a square, but the following peace negotiations and/or internal restructuring during peace times.

"Ok, I'll give back the region I conquered from you, but you will have to cede that mountain hex stuffed with gold which is next to my province x"

Jorgen

Comment

I still find that limiting if you must 'conquer a province or not'...which it sounds like your saying...ie if you don't control it all, you in effect can't do anything with it. It is true that conquests usually went for conquering the entire province, but not always...sometimes it is more strategic to take a few squares that might give you a 'route' or key location...the rest of the province might be totally useless to you.

And there were provines and countries that were split after WWII, plus as i said before, when the europeans conquered other lands, they had no reguard for the previously structured provinces/regions there.
          Mitsumi Otohime
          Oh dear! Are you even sure you answered the questions correctly?) Underneath your confused exterior, you hold fast to your certainties and seek to find the truth about the things you don't know. While you may not be brimming with confidence and energy, you are content with who you are and accepting of both your faults and the faults of others. But while those around you love you deep down, they may find your nonchalance somewhat infuriating. Try to put a bit more thought into what you are doing, and be more aware of your surroundings.

Comment

At present there is no functional administration, apart from the economics screens. It would be a small step to just make the administrative provinces coincide with the regions, which would bring us back to fixed provinces.

I am unclear how large the regions are expected to be. The Roman province of Sicilia would be two squares, Cisalpine Gaul about five, but is not really a specific area in the sense that a region is.

Is it intended that regions have similar geographic features? I assume not, but a system of determining the regions will be necessary.

In general the effect of the region system will be to make Clash an area based game. If we are going to do that, squares have no function, except as an extremely coarse grid for recording the location of such point features as units and cities.

Cheers

Comment

This will be a bit rambling, but I wanted to respond here with some information, and I am not coherent enough to put together my forthcoming proposal on the subject.

Thanks to Gary (in the Expansion thread) and Rodrigo, for getting the ball rolling on this topic.

My big announcement for tonight:

I think I have a way to entirely abstract all critical economic functions away from Modeling Provinces. (I'm not adopting the regions defininition since I don't think its necessary) I'll explain in about 12 hours, but basically the Modeling Provinces are just one of many levels over which you can issue economic orders. So AFAIK that pretty much just leaves the social/govt code requiring Modeling Provinces.

Gary, I am liking the polygons approach, but in the vein of LGJ, that's about a Demo 18 feature. Suggest we just Pretend squares can be different sizes in our discussions.

I am very strongly leaning toward provinces that fulfill both modeling and administrative function together, and that tend to maintain their existence (and shape) throughout the game. The main motivation is to build and maintain the player connection to them. If provinces change shape with every little conquest I feel significant player attachment to the game will be lost.

Also, I think that for most of the game Provinces Could remain static and fulfill the remaining modeling function of being an area over which social model data is held, and also the required administrative functions (of course if the player wants to rearrange its not a problem.) My reasoning is that for much of the game (say 1000BC to 1850AD) communications/transportation techs don't change by really large amounts. So the amount of land that can be Practically administered by a governor or what ever will tend to have a roughly constant maximum size through much of the game.

This May, as Gary says bring, Clash to being mostly in effect an area-based game. I need to think about that more to see if I really agree with it. The economy area scale would still be different from the region scale... Anyway, as I said above, I envision us keeping squares for a bit yet, and will describe things with that in mind.

The static-provinces idea would use colorrr's static-province notion above, Except that no peace treaty is required to settle the situation.

An "established" province Gaul being fought over militarily would become two provinces as soon as a square is captured. In this example a square that originally belonged to the Romans now belongs to the Huns. (This idea was originally proposed by Gary a bit ago, but I don't think he likes it now... Gary I'm presenting your current position as best I can remember it.) Both Roman Gaul (the previous full owner in this example) and Hunnish Gaul would remember the outlines of the original Gaul. As the Huns capture more territory in Gaul it is automatically added to Hunnish Gaul. Note there is never any ambiguity of who controls what, but if you add the two pieces together you get the original Gaul. If either by conquest or peace treaty the Huns take all of Gaul then Roman Gaul ceases to exist. Hunnish Gaul is now considered an "establilshed" province.

Now re-synthesizing some previously formulated rules, and adding some new ones:

1. a province gets to be "established" as such by either existing from the beginning of the game (say as an ethnic group homland like Gaul) OR something like Rodrigo's approach stated above where a civ's reorganization of solidly-held territory declares it to contain the squares it has.

2. If the Huns and Romans should enter a stalemate, say with each solidly holding half of Gaul, one or both sides could rearrange the province structure of their part to reflect the new realities. Hunnish Gaul could become part of an existing Hunnish province if only a moderate amount of it were held. But the AI would be under general orders not to do this unless a long time had passed. If the player wants to change things that's fine, but otherwise they will be able to recognize Gaul after 3 different waves of invaders have rampaged across it.

3. I don't think we want to make players need to reshuffle province boundaries as technology and infrastructure changes. IMO we should just allow higher-level governmental entities (we used to call them regions, but now there is a name problem) to be the one the player primarily deals with. But Gaul is still there, although it may have had its name changed to France. The player still gets the benefits of increasing technology and infrastructure, since the province will become cheaper to manage with better tech (at least for the same level of governmental activity).

4. Although provinces of any size will be Technically legal, there would be size penalties (imposed by the governments/ riots models at a guess) that would quickly make a big civ being a single province an unacceptable solution for all but the most masochistic players. And again I am thinking of provinces of like 20 squares. Closer to the larger ones seen in history rather than the smaller ones. Maybe 50 would be the border of an unacceptably large province because of penalties.

I hope this is reasonably understandable, and I'll have more to say in the tomorrow.
              Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
              A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
              Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Mark -
                After reading your proposal (and i do like it that potentially Gary's idea for non-squares coming much earlier...i've been pushing for this almost as much as he has), I agree with 90% of what you say. The one area i disagree upon is ability for the player to 'arbitraly' reshuffle province sizes...i still believe it should be based on the players Political Power.
                Mitsumi Otohime

Comment

Provinces (II) and Cities

Here is part two of my take on how provinces should work. I got a little further than I had originally thought in the previous one, so rather than trying make this self-contained I'll just talk about the issues I didn't touch on in my previous post.

LGJ, before I forget, I agree with you that political power and other factors could limit the player's ability to rearrange provinces in a variety of ways. I would prefer to just leave this as a TBD for now, since it's more at the level of the details, and we're working on agreement on the higher-level issues.

I will also ignore here the issue of what it takes to have "control" of a square. Gary and I have had several discussions on the fact that control should not be absolute, but range all the way from purely-nominal control, up to more-or-less total control. Again, I think that's beyond this scope of our discussion currently. But at least he and I seem to have agreed that control should belong to one civilization only for a square. I hope that makes sense to everyone else, I certainly think it's a good decision.

Separation of the economy and provincial structure:

The plan quite a ways back was to have the economy handled at a provincial level, with some things such as population and infrastructure at the square level. We recently thought we would return to that previous decision in the design and code, but it turned out that the benefits I originally perceived weren't really there. For now the economy is going to be handled at the square level. For the purposes of this discussion that provides the added benefit that there is now no longer much interaction between province size and shape and how the economy functions. As I said above, that means mostly that the province model need only satisfy what Rodrigo requires for social/government behavior. However, there are still a few details that need to be cleared up.

The first, and simpler, econ/province interaction is that military unit builds are aggregated across the entire province. That's because most squares will not have the economic capability to build a unit rapidly, but if the building of the unit is distributed over the entire province, the unit can be built fast. Which is undoubtedly usually what the player wants. I think the easiest way to handle this is to leave this feature associated with the province. Eventually we could allow the capability for the administration level at which this is done to change depending on scenario design, or other factors such as technology or infrastructure level.

The second econ/province interaction has to do with merchant behavior. Having merchants look at every square on an individual basis to try and formulate beneficial trade deals potentially with every other square in the world will just be too resource-intensive for what the player gets out of it. The plan a long time ago had been that each province would have at its administrative center (frequently a city) a market, where the merchants would look for trades. I would like to keep this general idea, but link the markets explicitly to cities and other semi-unique locations rather than a provincial structure. Here's how it would work...

I will get to city formation later in this post, but for now let's just assume that cities exist dotting the landscape. Some provinces will have more than one city, some will have one, and some will have no cities. All cities, by my definition, will have a market. In addition, a stand-alone market, called for now a trading post, can be built in any square provided sufficient resources are invested. Merchants or governments can build trading posts.

Merchants look to execute two types of trades. One is between markets, and the other is between a market and surrounding territory. These two different types of trading severely limit the number of searches merchants would have to undertake compared to the case where trades between every possible pair of squares would need to be considered. Transportation technologies and infrastructure levels will affect practically how far merchants can go, and which trades at what distances are worth looking at. I'll give more details in the Econ thread later. Anyway, by approaching merchant trades this way, we completely cut out the necessity of considering province size or shape effects upon merchants.

Cities and city formation

As I hope I made clear above, we no longer need to consider any direct association between cities and provinces. However, it might be that provinces in civilizations might be required to have an administrative center even if it's not a city. But the need of such a thing would be more a government concern, so I'll leave that discussion for others. The next issue I want to cover is how cities are created. First of all, although it's rare, the government can do it. It just requires allocation of massive resources and selection of a site. (For now that will be a square, but eventually cities could be sized more realistically.) Most cities in history (and we are talking about big cities for their time here) evolve into being without that much encouragement from the government. At my limited level of understanding, most cities start growing because they have a good location for trade or manufacture, or other economic activity such as administration. The proximity of large numbers of people engaged in various activities makes that location a good spot for starting new businesses and activities. So once a takeoff point is reached, growth of the city is self-reinforcing. Of course, there are also factors that hold cities size in check given different levels of technology and infrastructure. I'm still not sure exactly how many of these factors we want to try and include in Clash. My perspective at this point is to see how much spontaneous city growth happens given the existing economic model, and whatever migrations model we work out. I think it should be the case that a well-placed trading post would be fairly likely to evolve into a city. Additionally, I think it's fairly well known that administrative centers also tend to grow into cities, primarily because of the stimulative effect of government spending.

I also believe that we may need some sort of mechanism whereby an existing cities suppresses the growth of other nearby squares as an effect of distance. That is so we don't get cities popping up in huge blocks. (I may be worrying too much about this at this point. Maybe we should just see what happens with the existing models first.) I don't want to suggest that Renaissance Italy, with its many city-states shouldn't exist in Clash, but as a practical matter if most squares become cities as we define it in the game, cities will lose the interest they should hold for the player, and we will also lose the advantages of the market-based merchants system. I think on average over broad areas of the map we should have an official Clash city for every 30 squares or so on average. Again, I'm not saying Italy Can't happen, but that it should be the exception rather than the rule.

Here is my proposal for now for the Dawn scenario with respect to city formation. I think some of the stuff I am assuming below will be a bit beyond the scope of the first Dawn scenario, but perhaps by the time we get into the second or third iteration it will be practical.

The first settled square will be designated arbitrarily a city, thus automatically giving it a market. In addition the player can build trading posts, and if we decide we need them, designate administrative centers for each new province beyond the first. I think new cities should be designated using the following criteria (other ideas extremely welcome) :
                  1. Absolute population must be At Least 20k people (or some similar number)
                  2. Population must be large relative to what is around. Specifically, some metric like that the population must be at least some particular multiple of the median population in the vicinity. The vicinity would be defined using some ease-of-travel metric. So the prospective city's competition would grow larger in area as transportation technologies become more efficient.

There are probably other rules we will need in the future, but I think these two are enough to get us started for now. And I want to hear peoples general responses to my proposal first before going into great detail.

That's is it for now, what does everyone think?
                  A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).

Comment

Cites and Trade Posts:
                    I think your idea here is good one, but 2 things.
                    1 > Each province should have atleast 1 TP or City. If they do not have a city, they will have a 'Free TP'. This 'Free TP' will not affect the economic or population density in any way, but will allow trading with the outside world with minimal effeciency (see #2). This 'Free TP' is dismanted automatically when another TP is constructed or a city is created.
                    2. TP and cities should, as you say, gather resources from the surrounding squares. For simplicity, each square should be drawn upon by only 1 TP or city, the closest/first one. As you get further away, the resources gathered becausr of cost or ineffiency is reduced.

City creation:
                    Cities originally formed along rivers, mostly at mouths, along the coastline, mostly on islands or penesulas, in the deserts by large oasis or along/near major trade routes. Also in long-term mining/lumbering cases, cities would spawn.

During the renesaunce and after cities were also formed along the outsides of fortresses where they were no longer needed as the land became more peaceful.

During the railroad expansions, they spawned along the tracklines.

After the invention of Autobaun and Highways they formed at the cross-sections where they were.

Anyway many of these cities died out though once their main resource dried out (and many of the strip cities may die out along the highways for the same reason railways did if we find better alternative transportation).+
                    Mitsumi Otohime

Comment

I knew I designed the administration system for a reason. The following is hypothetical, but it seems to me to be feasible. It is based on a combination of Mark's and Rodrigo's posts. It has the advantage that it is largely coded already.

Suppose we have districts with essentially the same characteristics as Rodrigo's regions - they are the basic social unit, with all social model decisions being at this level. They are, however, reasonably small - smaller than provinces.

These districts are fixed during the course of the game, and can have an area in the range of one to, say, ten squares.

The provinces are player controlled aggregations of districts. A player may assign districts to a province at will (with some provision to make silly choices unviable - a province consisting of Michigan, Botswana and Chechen would not work well).

Economic decisions would be avaialble only at the province and civilization level.

The administration system is designed for just this situation.

The hierarchy becomes:

1. The civilization. Regime, ruler and overall government policy.
                      2. The province. Unit purchase, road building and such.
                      3. The district. Social aggregations, riots, revolutions.
                      4. The map square. Population, resources, economics.

This system would also give the possibility of making districts have a uniform terrain, which is then a very short step to representing districts by polygons, and moving the population, resources and economics to that level. In turn that could be done by calculating an area of the district, and interpreting the various square level values on a per area basis.

If civilizations are competing for a district, each will have its own district administration, with a partial list of the squares. This is essentially what Mark has said about provinces. And yes, Mark, it is what I have always preferred.

Cheers

Comment

Hi Gary:

I was wondering up until the end if you were going to Admit that your proposal was a thinly-veiled move in the direction of polygons You get points for intellectual honesty, but don't consider a career in sales. But seriously...

I have to admit I don't see any big advantages to doing the social stuff by districts rather than provinces. It seems like a wash to me, more accuracy, but more resource usage. I'm prepared to go along if Rodrigo is, since that is mainly his area. I'm assuming since you didn't squawk about anything that most of the rest of what I said is at least reasonably ok by you... Of course we haven't heard from anyone but you me and LGJ, but its a start. And as you say it'd be a good test for moving in the direction of polygons.

And being mostly coded already is a Big advantage, though that was largely true of mine too.

Hey LGJ:

1 > Each province should have atleast 1 TP or City. If they do not have a city, they will have a 'Free TP'. This 'Free TP' will not affect the economic or population density in any way, but will allow trading with the outside world with minimal effeciency (see #2). This 'Free TP' is dismanted automatically when another TP is constructed or a city is created.
                        Could work. Lets see what other think. My problem is that for primitive tech levels one trading post wouldn't necessarily cover the whole province anyway. And I Really don't want to sprinkle the map with 'em

2. TP and cities should, as you say, gather resources from the surrounding squares. For simplicity, each square should be drawn upon by only 1 TP or city, the closest/first one. As you get further away, the resources gathered becausr of cost or ineffiency is reduced.
                        First off your points about resource gathering make me think you believe this is automatic, and that resources get funneled to the city. Just to be sure, only a very limited amount of stuff will ever be traded, although it would get relatively large in modern times. Cost to move stuff is measured by the merchants and is based on transportation capabilities. As to whether we should make a square be able to deal with only one market, I'd certainly start it that way for simplicity.

Comment

Hey Gary:

One more thought on the social model in districts proposal. If districts hold social data then all those arguments you made against square-level social data seem to hold with the data usage being reduced from dividing by the average size of a district. Providing districts approach a size of 5-10 sq or so on average maybe there isn't a big problem. But if because of trying to keep the terrain of a district uniform it ends up more like 2 squares on average then the proposal has problems. I can't remember the numbers you quoted. Has your redesign of the population system greatly changed things?

Comment

That is a very valid point. We should think carefully about the sizes of the various divisions.

My problem with fixed size provinces is that one person's province is another person's country, and a third person's district.

A clear example is the Baltic States, three very small countries on the edge of what used to be a very large province - Russia. We do not want to design a game that does not allow this situation to happen.

Another example is the Iberian peninsula, a province in Roman times, four countries now, five if the Basques get their way.

While I am prepared to give away very small countries (such as Andorra or Gibraltar), I cannot accept lumping Portugal, whose world influence has been substantial, with Spain.

This is the real basis of my suggestion for fixed districts.

There are areas, such as the steppes or arctic areas, where the districts could be quite large, say 40 squares. In general, however, I would expect that we could aim for an average of 5 squares per district. This gives, by our previous calculations, 2000 districts. Since social classes are now global, we do not have to manage 2000 sets of different social classes, we just have to maintain the ethnic opinions for each. I would suspect that around 2Mb would cover it.

Effectively, districts allow a much simpler means of assembling provinces, without losing, I believe, any playability or game interest. It also solves some of the problems of ethnic groups splitting and recombining.

If we use provinces as the social level, we have, as Rodrigo pointed out, the possibility of social clumpings that have no relationship to reality. Also, the number of provinces could become quite large, if an area was intensively fought over, so, potentially, we could have a resource problem there. Districts at least enforce a lower limit to province size.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Thomas
                              My problem with fixed size provinces is that one person's province is another person's country, and a third person's district.

A clear example is the Baltic States, three very small countries on the edge of what used to be a very large province - Russia. We do not want to design a game that does not allow this situation to happen.

Another example is the Iberian peninsula, a province in Roman times, four countries now, five if the Basques get their way.

While I am prepared to give away very small countries (such as Andorra or Gibraltar), I cannot accept lumping Portugal, whose world influence has been substantial, with Spain.
                              I think you missed an important part of an earlier proposal of mine (the first recent big one:

2. If the Huns and Romans should enter a stalemate, say with each solidly holding half of Gaul, one or both sides could rearrange the province structure of their part to reflect the new realities. Hunnish Gaul could become part of an existing Hunnish province if only a moderate amount of it were held. But the AI would be under general orders not to do this unless a long time had passed. If the player wants to change things that's fine, but otherwise they will be able to recognize Gaul after 3 different waves of invaders have rampaged across it.
                              So none of your objections except the one about Russia hold. My system can do a one-square country just fine. Or one-polygon if we go there. FE as soon as the long-term division of Spain and Portugal becomes clear the province borders are changed to reflect reality.

I'm not sure Russia is a province by my definition of province. I don't know what they are, but Surely there are local divisions within Russia that are more on the size scale of Spain that would do as provinces. Russia could be a Region (using my old definition of region being above province in the admin hierarchy).

To my mind, a better proposal is to use districts to contain uniform terrain, pushing us in the direction of polygons, but still have provinces be the main social/govt actor. I believe 2MB for social/govt stuff is too big in terms of what the player gets out of it, although this is purely a subjective judgement on my part.

Effectively, districts allow a much simpler means of assembling provinces, without losing, I believe, any playability or game interest. It also solves some of the problems of ethnic groups splitting and recombining.
                              I agree on these points, but I don't thing the splitting/recombining issue is That big. And the assebling provinces point is there whether EGs are at the district or provincial level IMO.

If we use provinces as the social level, we have, as Rodrigo pointed out, the possibility of social clumpings that have no relationship to reality.
                              Actually he was pointing that out only if you let provinces become enormous. I believe we should make that impossible, or at least Extremely costly until modern technology comes in.

Also, the number of provinces could become quite large, if an area was intensively fought over, so, potentially, we could have a resource problem there.
                              True, but only if the lines become static for a long period of time does the provincial fracturing become permanent. And a conqueror can recombine those at will at a later date. I don't think this is a problem, YMMV. Besides the dynamic of history is toward larger geographic units since military power tends to go with size. I expect we would end up with something like 200-500 provinces in the entire world for most of the game using my approach. Bitty (1-2 square) provinces will tend to go away as time moves on. There will be a steady-state number of them that will not be that large, maybe 100 or so IMO.

Districts at least enforce a lower limit to province size.
                              That one I'm fine with when it becomes impossible to do otherwise (as in if we go to polygons). Until we get there though, I think players will become confused at the inability to create a province that has only part of a district. How do you intend to make it work before polygons?

Comment

Working...
                              X