Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to keep in mind while designing/coding

A few things to keep in mind I've thought of:

-Don't lock-in things to terrain types, including even such things as Citys. It's nothing that's going to be addressed anytime soon, but it'd be good to keep in mind the possibility of Sea/Ocean colonization alla CTP.

Wouldn't want to create troubles in the future needlessly

-Possibility of multiple layers of map. No support needed for it any time soon, but oh the things that could be done with it.

Just to name 4: Outer Space, Underground/Caverns, Other-world activity, "jump" map (such as jumping/teleporting from europe to america or america to middle east, for example, without having to draw out all the map that comes in between).

As the thread says, just something to keep in mind to avoid locking into something.

-"Ethos" to be added over/replace Ethnic Groups. Might already be possible by just recreating/altering the ethnic groups, but the idea is to allow representation of differing beliefs that aren't so much based upon race.

This might also be handled in the religion model, now that I think about it. But maybe not quite...

I was thinking along the line of things like Conservative/Liberal in america, Tory/Wig/Labour/Green in the UK, etc - but not neccessarily political in nature either. (Doubt I'm explaining this very well ) No idea what that'd be covered under.

That's all I was thinking of for now.

Feel free to add any miscelaneous thoughts here that don't really affect anything concretely or immediatly, but are good things to think about/keep in mind.
    Better to be wise for a second than stupid for an entire lifetime.

Creator of the LWC Mod for Civ3.

A new note:

-It won't be needed any time soon, but eventually every bit of text that is displayed to the user will need to be ripped from the .java files and put into text files.

The reason for this is two-fold:

1: Editing and proof-reading.

2: Translation. Any text hidden in the class files is very hard to translate, and people basically just won't do it.

But when everyone is right out there in the open it's just a matter of taking one language and rewording it in another language.
    Better to be wise for a second than stupid for an entire lifetime.

Creator of the LWC Mod for Civ3.

Comment

That has been in the plan for some time, except they will not be text files, they will be resource bundles. I already have a beady eye upon people to do the following translations:

French
      Spanish
      Norwegian
      Dutch
      Russian
      Japanese
      Maori

The serious lacks are German and Chinese. And possibly Arabic.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
      X