Marketing Clash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marketing Clash

I think everyone should make some effort in making Clash known to the public. I'm sure most of the clash makers/users are active on other Gamerelated boards from time to time.

How about telling people about the game ?

Allso, how about one of us (perhaps Gary or Mark?) making an article about the making of a Civgame ? And hopefully Apolyton/Civfanatics and so on will post it in theire "newssection".

If this could be coordinated with the next release, we could increase the number of people trying the game.

Any other suggestions ?

-Stian-
    If you want to discuss topics on History, with an emphasis on the military aspect.
    Visit: http://www.historic-battles.com/

I feel that Mark has been really active in marketing Clash everywhere. He has been posting our progress in the neighbouring Alt.Civs section since it was recreated (For those of you who are new here, long ago there was a single Alt.Civs. section which was "occupied" by the Clash team and was shortly afterwards renamed into this. After the emergence of other Alt.Civs. teams on Apolyton, the Alt.Civs. section had to reopen.)

He has been also spamming the Civ3 section which is the reason some of you new people have come here.

He also made the brilliant move of posting in gamedev.net, a forum for game develloppers, which has brought to us valuable coders.

When the next demo is out, we WILL make a massive campaign towards known TBS forums and old inactive members of the team to get more feedback and more contributions in further developpment.

We don't have alot to discuss here. There is one saying that says: "You can't sell the bear's hide before you kill it."
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
    George Orwell

Comment

Hi sas, thanks for promoting this! It is a good idea, and I would certainly like to have to do less of it myself

As Axi says I think the time for a big publicity push is when Demo 7 comes out. Probably even somewhat after it is released so we can get the first set of bugs and small features done.

That said, some effort to get team members should go on all the time. I do have in mind to do an article on Clash soon. But until Apolyton articles start coming out again... there's no hurry. Also it would be best timed as being simultaneous with the D7 release. D6 clearly hasn't been enough to wow people yet, so D7 is the next chance. Hopefully some good ideas will come out of the recent discussions on making the demo more friendly to newcomers!

Cya,

Mark
      Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
      A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
      Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

As the man says, first kill the bear. I feel that I am wrestling with a ferocious and very much alive bear.

My hope is that once the xml reading code is in a good state (which is immanent), that I can start farming out more of the coding. I sort of fancy myself as coordinator and organizer of the code, rather than writing big chunks of it. Just as well dreams are free.

Cheers

Comment

Mark,

If you are really serious about marketing it, try to transplant some great scenarios to clash. Like, 2194 days of war. Make appropriate changes so that the scenario will work better in multiplayer than in civ2. Then you can start a tournament for the scenario and post game progress in SLeague forum.

And, sincerely, try some better graphs. Your graphs are fine for an average game, but not good enough to draw people's attention. I doubt that the graphs are 2D? If so, try some 3D ones.

Comment

Hi Xin Yu:

We're talking about marketing the Clash Project essentially. Its Way too early to market the game. Sorry you don't much like the graphics. Personally I would rather have the incremental time difference between 2D and 3D graphics go to the AI. But if you like sexy, stupid games, you're welcome to them . Seriously, we don't have in any way the resources needed to do 3D graphics at this point. Also since we want Clash to be great for scenarios, I would like the graphics to be relatively easy for modders to change. YMMV.

Cya,

Mark
            Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
            A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
            Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Xin Yu,

We're working on the graphics. It's still 2D, and will probably stay that way. But the next release should look much better than the current release (6.0).

As Mark pointed out, we dont have the recources for any fancy stuff at the moment. The important thing now is getting the game to work, the visual stuff can be implemented as the game evolves.

-Stian-
              If you want to discuss topics on History, with an emphasis on the military aspect.
              Visit: http://www.historic-battles.com/

Comment

Working...
              X