This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Fiera:

Glad you are interested in helping out! And thanks for putting up the horde. He looks good, and rather familiar from when I checked out your website .

There is one thing I would like to capture in the horde image if you can, to refine it a bit... At least my feeling is that it should look Undisciplined. Something kind of like an ax in one hand, and a bottle of wine in the other . I Don't mean and seriously, but if you can figure a way with the few number of pixels at your disposal to make him look like he doesn't follow orders well, I think it would be an improvement. That's since it would tie the game effect of undisciplined troops to the image.

If you are interested in signing up for the long haul, as I saw in your post in the Civ 2 creation thread, then I heartily encourage that. I will try and post soon exactly what that entails. I need to put out a "current plans" post for unit graphics anyway.

-Mark
    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Welcome to the project, SoulAssassin!

Your unit looks like it would be good for a trooper halfway between horde and phalanx. It looks somewhat disciplined and appears to have decent armor, but it has no shield or helmet or insisgnia that a phalanx trooper would have. It is a good graphic, and we can easily make a place for it in the tech tree and military model.

Comment

Status report on Unit Graphics

Since I'm sure there will be people coming by that are interested in helping to push the project forward, but not wanting to read many pages of forum posts, I thought I would give a unified view of where we are. I have carefully reread pretty much everything on unit graphics, and am making the following pronouncements. These aren't carved in stone. There is still some time for experimentation. But we have already tried out a bunch of things, and we have to put closure on this at some point. I'm stating things now so people have a chance to discuss the pronouncements, do some quick experiments, etc. Here's how I see it:

On the main map:

1. Each Task Force (= army = collection of units) will be represented by a single unit image that best represents the majority of combat power of the task force. Since the single image representing the task force will not give the player can immediate grasp of the combat power of the task force (TF) we will use an indicator placed around the base of the image called a Power Circle.

2. Power Circles (or Rings) are a circle shown in perspective around the base of the TF icon. The power circle has the player's color, and has an area proportional to the total military power of the TF. The maximum power circle radius for any given age will be somewhat less than the size of a tile. There will also be a minimum size for the power circle so that it doesn't look silly . You can see a demonstration of power circles in demo 4, and a somewhat cruder example on the Demo Graphics #1 web page. (The example on the web page has the offsets screwed up, we will get those right!)

3. In addition to the power circles, ownership of the task force will be represented by an alpha channel piece of color that goes on a shield, side, or other appropriate place on a unit depending on whether it represents a man like figure or combat vehicle of some sort.

Other factors:

4. There will be some sort of graphical object that performs the functions that the "TF Box" does in demo 4. The specific purpose is to show all the units in a given TF, allow for several TFs that may happen to be in the same square to be shown, and allow for rearrangement of units between TFs. I think this should show a TF as arrayed for battle if possible for eye candy value, and also show TF and individual unit military power. The exact way that we show this is TBD. In demo 4 I used relatively unobtrusive lines under the TFs and individual units to show power. The line length scaled the same as the diameter of a power circle for consistency.

5. There will be something of order 100 unit icons over the span of history. However, as much as possible we would like to find-tune the looks of the units to culture groups, or even individual cultures. I think the best thing to do in this regard is to stay flexible. We can go an enormous way in playtesting the game with only a single set of icons that span history. Ideally the main set should be done by one or a few artists to maintain thematic consistency. Certainly one artist could do all the human figures, and another all the various combat vehicles without losing unity in presentation. As artists interested in doing units become available, we could broaden out the core unit set to first cover several cultural groupings, or even individual cultures.

6. As mentioned above, we will stick to the GIF89a format for now. Eventually we must switch over to something with alpha channel support. Given modern graphics programs, I don't think migrating the existing graphics from the GIF format to whatever we select will be very difficult. But I don't have much experience in this area, so I could be wrong.

OK, we have already discussed these things a lot previously, but we have some new blood in the group who may have opinions in these areas. If anyone has Really Big issues with what I've said, please mention them as soon as possible. If you agree with the plan, and think it's basically decent, please also let me know about that .
        A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Mark_Everson on 03-17-2001 05:32 PM
          Hi Fiera:

Glad you are interested in helping out! And thanks for putting up the horde. He looks good, and rather familiar from when I checked out your website .

You know, each artist has its own style... No, seriously, I based on some units made for non yet released Civ2 scenarios, but made it more "slender" to make it the same size the spearman you already have.

quote:

There is one thing I would like to capture in the horde image if you can, to refine it a bit... At least my feeling is that it should look Undisciplined. Something kind of like an ax in one hand, and a bottle of wine in the other . I Don't mean and seriously, but if you can figure a way with the few number of pixels at your disposal to make him look like he doesn't follow orders well, I think it would be an improvement. That's since it would tie the game effect of undisciplined troops to the image.

Yes, it makes sense. I'm already giving a try.
          "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
          - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

quote:

If you agree with the plan, and think it's basically decent, please also let me know about that .

Yep, that's my case.

I only don't quite understand how the TF Box will work. I haven't downloaded the demo 4 yet, I guess I'll see it clear when I do it, right?
            - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

My third post in a row, I'm sorry!

But I've been working on the Horde unit and I think I've already got something in the right direction.

Here's the link again: www.geocities.com/fiera_com/hordes.html

I hope this is closer to your expectations, but of course I can still modify it if you want.
              - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Three-in-a-row is no problem here! Any way that gets the work done is OK.

I think its closer! I think he now looks undisciplined but not that threatening... I am artistically challenged, but my idea is maybe give him (2nd one) a shield, and it'll make him look undisciplined and yet more menacing.

Comment

I think he looks less threatening now because of the axe, one doesn't really know if he's a warrior or a woodcutter...

So maybe a better choice would be featuring him with another weapon: maybe a big and amazing hammer, or a thick club...

I say this 'cause I'm not sure whether the shield would look good for ths unit, I may give it a try anyway if you don't like the idea of changing the weapon...
                  - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Hey Fiera, sounds reasonable. I don't mean to bother you endlessly about the one figure... your idea sounds good. Perhaps you can put together a post pointing to your buildings page on your web site, and we can get people's ideas about what kind of buildings / city graphics you might be able to put together? See ya' -Mark

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Mark_Everson on 03-19-2001 08:10 AM
                      Hey Fiera, sounds reasonable. I don't mean to bother you endlessly about the one figure...

Hey, no need to worry! The time I spend designing or modifying a unit graphic is always fun for me. As I already said, I really enjoy designing units, so it's alright if you want me to change a few things. That means more fun for me!

Now, I tried to make it more threatening giving him a hammer. If you don't yet like it, I'll try with the shield thing.

See it here: www.geocities.com/fiera_com/hordes.html

quote:

Perhaps you can put together a post pointing to your buildings page on your web site, and we can get people's ideas about what kind of buildings / city graphics you might be able to put together?

You mean here or shall I open a new thread?
                      - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Well, in that case, there's more fun in store for you! At least I personally like #2 best so far. I'd like to see it with the shield if you're still taking requests

You are right that the buildings should go in a different thread. The one on map graphics is about 10 threads down from the top since I just bumped it up. That's the right place for buildings.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Mark_Everson on 03-19-2001 09:00 PM
                          Well, in that case, there's more fun in store for you! At least I personally like #2 best so far. I'd like to see it with the shield if you're still taking requests

Aha, no problem, I'll do it. Anyways, how about the other team members? No one likes the hammer better?

quote:

You are right that the buildings should go in a different thread. The one on map graphics is about 10 threads down from the top since I just bumped it up. That's the right place for buildings.

OK, I'm checking it out, thanks!
                          - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Perhaps it would look undisciplined and fierce if it was brandishing the axe or hammer in a two-handed grip. I like the unit in the top left of the "Edad Antigua" block on the website.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Richard Bruns on 03-19-2001 11:06 PM
                              Perhaps it would look undisciplined and fierce if it was brandishing the axe or hammer in a two-handed grip.

OK, I may try it, however I think it will be a bit difficult.

quote:

I like the unit in the top left of the "Edad Antigua" block on the website.

Yes, that's one of my favourites too! If you like it for the Phalanx graphic, I may refine it a bit so it looks the same size as your current Spearmen.
                              - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Here I am again!

I mad the axe shorter now, and I've included a long, gaulic type shield. I don't know is this exactly what you had thought of... Perhaps it looks a little confusing...

See it here: www.geocities.com/fiera_com/hordes.html
                                [This message has been edited by Fiera (edited March 19, 2001).]
                                - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Working...
                                X