Clash Web Site Discussion/Requests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rest of the team:

There are a bunch of issues associated with a potential move, and me and Dom will be looking into them over the next week or so.
    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

It occurs to me that there is no need to have the UGO ads if the site is no longer being hosted by Apolyton.

Can you make "clash.apolyton.net" forward automatically to the new address?

Comment

What I meant by the site might have a new location is, the clash site (at Apolyton) would stay but would redirect the user to the nbci web site. Personally I really don't think that you, as the web viewer, would tell a difference. Even though we would be redirecting you to the NBCI web site, I'm going to keep the UGO adds on the site. For the reason of Apolyton hosting us, we should keep them.

Tell me what you think...
        (if you understand me )

[This message has been edited by Dominic (edited March 30, 2001).]

Comment

Hey Dom, got another request.

A bunch of the "current thread" urls are out of date. The govt page is the latest one I've noticed. Sometime when you have a bit of time, can you just check 'em? What I have in mind is just:
          1. follow the "current" thread link from a model page
          2. go to the last page of it
          3. go to the last post
          4. if there is no link leading to a new thread, follow it, and put that as the new current link (I think we're only one generation behind).

If the thread is locked, but there's no url forward address, let me know, and I'll find the right one for you and put the link in the thread to the next in the chain.

If this is too much work for you, just say so, and we'll see if someone else is willing to take it on.

Thanks,

Mark

Everyone: We hope to have the move/ no move decision on the web site shortly. Because of the recent server change its possible Dom's problems will be over, so we're checking that avenue out first.
          A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).

Comment

Hi!

I've just started a new Map Graphics thread. This is the new URL:
            http://www.apolyton.net/forums/Forum21/HTML/000357.html

Thanks!
            "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
            - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Dom: I sent you an email with updates I want you to make at the govt and social pages of the web site.

Comment

I have access problems to the site with netscape. IE also reports an error, but apparently manages to make do.
                Clash of Civilization team member
                (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Yeah its pretty bad with N4.7. The individual pages work ok, but the entry page and main frame page with all the links doesn't work.

Dom, can you take out the redirects to the mirror site until this is resolved? We can't afford to lose everyone that uses Netscape.

Comment

Hey,

Im new so be kind

I like the site, layout is cool and simple.

I myself program in PHP with the use of a mySQL database. What this allows me to do is create a "database driven web site" in other words I store all the information for the site in a database server and then use PHP to select and display it for the users. In the end it provides a streamlined and relativley fast method of web mastering.

Have you ever gone to a web site where they have scores apon scores of content and you will notice ?(question marks) in the address? That site is using PHP, this very forum uses it.

The upsides of PHP are ease of updating, for instance I made a Technology news site once where a news poster simply filled out a form (like this) and the database was updated and anytime someone went to the main page the site grabbed the posts off the server and displayed them on the main page. Another cool part is that its server side, so all the calcultions and work is done by the server computer (unlike javascript). When looking at the source of the page the PHP code is gone.

The downsides are you need a server with PHP and mySQL support (and free ones are hard to find)

Perhaps this could be a new direction for the site. Maybe for the game page (the one that the players would visit) but either way just some info to feast on.

If your looking for more info on PHP check out www.php.net

Comment

Just one note on potentially using PHP. Quite a while ago a guy interested in setting up a web site here wanted to use a dynamic web-page setup using CGI. At that point (more than a year ago) it was nixed as being too demanding on the server. So we would need to check with the admins here before seriously considering 'going PHP'.

Comment

Of course the GGS website uses PHP too http://www.ggs.f2s.com

heardie
                        "Couldn't help myslef . And come on I wanna play your demo "

Comment

PLEASE sort out the problem with netscape it is a pain in the a*** to load up Mr Gate's OS every time I want to visit the clash site!

Tony
                          A Linux User!
                          Tony

Comment

Hello everyone,
                            I apologize for the inconveniences. I have changed the links back to Apolyton. Hopefully, everything will work smoothly. If there are anymore problems, please inform me via email ( jdmaezjr@hotmail.com ).

PS~ Mark: In the past week allot has happened (family wise), and I'm now connecting to the net via "Dial-up". I still have some problems with FTP, but I can manage.

Thanks, Dom

Comment

Thanks Dom, hope everything's going ok...

When you get a chance the "join" link on the web page is busted.

Comment

Can you update the ecology model Dom?
                                Which Love Hina Girl Are You?
                                Mitsumi Otohime
                                Oh dear! Are you even sure you answered the questions correctly?) Underneath your confused exterior, you hold fast to your certainties and seek to find the truth about the things you don't know. While you may not be brimming with confidence and energy, you are content with who you are and accepting of both your faults and the faults of others. But while those around you love you deep down, they may find your nonchalance somewhat infuriating. Try to put a bit more thought into what you are doing, and be more aware of your surroundings.

Comment

Working...
                                X