Name Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name Change

I know that this topic will probably seem like blasphemy at this point, but I never liked the name "Clash of Civilizations." It doesn't really capture the spirit of the project. I think it makes our project seem like a one-dimensional wargame, when in reality we are aiming for much more than that.

What do you think about Trials of Civilization? I think that it is more accurate and better sounding. I think that this game would still be fun if you were the only civilization on the planet. There would be so many (optional) internal details to deal with that I could have fun in a SimCity type game, without any competitors with which I need to Clash.

To raise a civilization from dust, to guide it throughout history, to help it survive internal and external crises, to meet and overcome every trial that Man or Nature can throw at me, that is the spirit of the game I want. The current name seems to imply a simple slugging match like AoE.

If you agree or disagree, could you use this thread to post your "grand vision" that keeps you working on the game? Here's mine:

On the planet of Apolyton a large public game has been running at the rate of one year per hour for the past twenty weeks. It started in 2000 BC and is now 1500 AD. There are now four dominant civilizations. Each one is being run cooperatively by a team of about half a dozen players in different time zones who split the responsibility of managing their vast empires 24/7. A competent AI manages their civ well in their absence, keeping to policies that the players have set.

In addition to this, there are about a dozen small single-player states who take advantage of the shifting alliances and conditions. Player control is more irregular and difficult here, but the rugged individualists manage to scrape by. Set against this geopolitical backdrop are many other players with different goals. Many players are running business cartels, wheeling and dealing in a world more detailed than any other business sim. Three religious leaders compete for official and popular support. A well-known communist poster has formed a secret organization and is doing his best to unite all of the workers of this world and overthrow the Imperialists. A large multi-player international crime organization is almost as well organized as the larger civs. Smaller pirate gangs pester the civs and work as privateers.

I look over the condition of this world and decide to join. One of the large civs has posted a request for a good general and another is asking for an administrator to help micromanage a troubled area of the civ. But that doesn't appeal to me. I notice that one of the large civilizations has been somewhat isolated and backwards, but is now modernizing. Several AI merchant agents are growing rapidly in this area, ready for possible human control. I e-mail the leaders of that civ, and they are supportive of a human cartel, under certain conditions. I agree that the official support is worth the rules, and jump in the fray. My business grows quickly, thanks to a bit of industrial espionage that gives me a higher tech level that gives me a higher tech level than my host country in some areas. Things seem to be going well.

But the communist was hoping to set off a revolution in this country, and I have come close to ruining this excellent opportunity. My new enemy conspires with a human leader of a widespread religion to foment rebellion against my modernization. Another civ supports this rebellion in order to weaken my host civ. Another civ declares open war on us and starts to take all the overseas colonies. I and my host civ put up a valiant fight, but in the end the religious-inspired communist rebels defeat us using modern weapons from the other civ.

But the worker's paradise is not forthcoming. Blood is in the water, and the experienced Mafia players will not miss an opportunity. They quickly infiltrate the new government until they are the effective rulers of the new country. The communist is abandoned by his former allies, since The Revolution is now a legitimate threat in their own countries. Over time the mafia eventually becomes a respected civilization.

I look for a new job, but am kindly informed that I am out of my league. After all, I only made the game and they are the masters of playing it. I go and work on my modpack, a project to faithfully recreate Master of Magic using the versatile game engine.

Hey Richard:

Death to the Heretic

You need to work on your thread titles, I opened this up expecting to find out that you were now going to go by the handle GinsuMaster or something .

Well, I'm not gonna say much for the moment, because I'm dead tired, but I certainly don't like your proposed name. Then again since I came up with Clash I'm sure I'm partial to it. BTW civilizations can clash in a lot of ways that aren't purely military, and I personally haven't ever assumed the clash meant just with troops.

Your concept seems worthy to me, but we gotta walk before we run! Just having most things work ok in single player will thrill me to death. But Ideally I think your view will be basically doable at some point. I certainly support the brainstorming effort!
    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Off the cuff, I rather like the sound of Surge of Civilization, People Power, or Ad Astra.

Alternatively we could have several entry point programs with different names, all leading into the same core program, but setting different configurations, so we could have, concurrently:

The Rage of Genghiz
      The Lotus Garden
      Gaudeamus
      The Wages of Fear
      Brute
      Brutus
      Cesare

and so forth.

Cheers

Comment

I just noticed that one of the team is LDiCesare. My Cesare name suggestion was unrelated, it referred to a historical figure whose first name was Cesare...

Cheers

Comment

We could make the name user definable on install. Of course what name to put on the initial file, How about "competitive civilisation building sim".

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Thomas on 04-04-2001 11:04 PM
            I just noticed that one of the team is LDiCesare. My Cesare name suggestion was unrelated, it referred to a historical figure whose first name was Cesare...

Cheers

I'm so disappointed...
            Clash of Civilization team member
            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

I still think the name "Clash of the Civilisations" is a bit on the crap side.

I wouldn't mind foisting the name "Cosmos" on is, because it's short, snappy, and encompasses everything (!) (and it was also the working title of that game i vainly aspired to design!)

Sensing a resistance in the force, I thought again, wading through other one-word names like "Man", "Ethnos", "NationState" (yawn) etc...

and arrived at a possibly less radical idea:

"Culture Clash"

but as I don't think i've contributed enough to deserve any say really, i'll shut up and get on with my gfx!
              Last edited by yellowdaddy; February 29, 2004, 12:56.
              click below for work in progress Clash graphics...
              clicaibh sios airson tairgnain neo-chriochnaichte dhe Clash...
              http://jackmcneill.tripod.com/

Comment

I've been here a while and Clash of Civilizations is a descent name...beleieve me there are much worse names...the only problem would be would TM of the "Cilivization" part of the name, but i don't think that is really a big problem.

If it is, and only if it is, i'd like The Reign of Man: From Dawn till Dusk
                Which Love Hina Girl Are You?
                Mitsumi Otohime
                Oh dear! Are you even sure you answered the questions correctly?) Underneath your confused exterior, you hold fast to your certainties and seek to find the truth about the things you don't know. While you may not be brimming with confidence and energy, you are content with who you are and accepting of both your faults and the faults of others. But while those around you love you deep down, they may find your nonchalance somewhat infuriating. Try to put a bit more thought into what you are doing, and be more aware of your surroundings.

Comment

what's with all these long names?!

why not just abbreviate it to "Man" or "Reign"?

Whatever it is it'll get abbreviated anyway!
                  click below for work in progress Clash graphics...
                  clicaibh sios airson tairgnain neo-chriochnaichte dhe Clash...
                  http://jackmcneill.tripod.com/

Comment

Why not "Evolution" ?
                    L'Arabe Dément
                    l'Arabe Fou

H.P. LOVECRAFT

Comment

I don't know if you have noticed, but everyone calls it "Clash".

Of course we could go all PC and call it "Co-operation of Civilizations"

or

"The Warm Fuzzies of Civilizations"

or

"See the Pigs Flying Past the Window"

Cheers

Comment

Yes my sir !
                        L'Arabe Dément
                        l'Arabe Fou

H.P. LOVECRAFT

Comment

Working...