Help needed to run demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed to run demo

I have downloaded both the Java thing (I gather thats some kind of programme that Clash runs on?) and version 4 of the demo in accordance with the instructions. I then clicked on the downloaded demo file and clicked to unzip it with the result that I now have a copy of the demo in my C drive as a "jar" file (whatever that is) {It seemed to unzip itself or am I mistaken? Usually takes all sorts of stuffing around to unzip things}. I have absolutely no idea how to get the demo to run. In other words, how do I open this jar file? I would appreciate advice from some kind soul.

------------------

hello peter:

Glad to have you checking it out.

Yes its a self-extracting exe. Unzips itself. Dominic, our web master knows how to do such things.

However...

What you do next is right there in the instructions for the download:

5. A file named CLASH_D4.jar will be installed on the Windows desktop. To start the game, double-click the file and give it about 20 seconds to load. If you have problems, let us know.

So its only a problem if you double-clicked on CLASH_D4.JAR and it didn't do anything. If that's the case let me know. I have a fallback position.

[This message has been edited by Mark_Everson (edited December 31, 1999).]
    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Has anybody got an idea what might cause demo 4 not to work I have redownloaded the JRE but when I doubble click the jar file nothing happens, this also happens with demo 3 now, However it used to run before demo 4 was released. Then when I downloaded demo 4 it started bringing up an error, so I re-downloaded the JRE.
      What does this box do I wonder?

Comment

I will send you a batch file to try and figure out what's wrong. Hope the email ad in your profile is current.

BTW what was the error?

The demo runs in Internet Explorer 5.0 . But you need to have the Java 1.2 plug-in. (It should have been installed with the JRE) Try it... just load it as a local file (need to select All Files *.* for file type for it to show up). It flunks a Netscape security test, so no luck with Netscape right now.

Mark

[This message has been edited by Mark_Everson (edited December 31, 1999).]
        Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
        A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
        Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Working...
        X