New Web Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Web Site

Well, the ice is broken - the new site prototype is here - it's a layout study only, mind you!

The test version is currently at
    http://www.qed.de/work/clash/

So, yes, I'll make the font larger - but the text on the homepage is a dummy text only, anyway

Next step: When you click on the "Divisions" button in the left menu, you will find a list of areas of responsibilities - more or less following the areas of the "Dukes". There are some sub-topics, too (maybe we should make those in charge of these "Earls"? )

My general idea is the following: Each single page will have someone who's responsible for it and who regularly updates the content, so as to take away the routine work from Mark and me. I'm working on a module which will enable each Duke (or Earl) to edit his pages only much like you can edit messages on this forum (don't try it yet - the "edit" function appears, but doesn't run properly yet). So what's needed now is an assignment of each and every branch to... someone

You don't need to know HTML - whatever you will insert in the "edit" box will be embedded in the overall layout (i.e. the menus and all links etc. will be added automatically). What you can do, however, is to edit a text with, say, MS Word, "save as..." HTML and insert the resulting code (so your text keeps the formatting). The program will remove all unnecessary lines and just insert the page body then.

The "menu" to the roght hand side (where it says "testtext" right now) will be the news overview, so that one can easily see the newset changes (Apolyton does it similarly).

MarkG, I chose a pure CGI solution because I think the structure and content will change VERY often, and this is the only way to guarantee that any change is correctly integrated, since even a new section costs one line in the menu data file only (all menu links will be generated accodringly). If you are concerned that the server will be too busy with this, I could change it to a mode where the files are "compiled", but this would cost us a lot of flexibility. Btw., our own site runs this way for a year now, and no performance problems ever occurred.

[This message has been edited by Dominique (edited June 18, 1999).]
    Well, if we took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy, would they?

Dom,
    1) how about using ssi? we use it a lot in the whole site
    2) we're not alone on the server

------------------
    Markos, Apolyton Civilization Site

Comment

MarkG, you got me here - I know SSI in theory, but have never actually used it until now (CGI is SOOO much more potent)... hm... if I understand you correctly, you mean one could build a general menu file which will be included on each page? True, this could be done, but I use the CGI routines for several other things, too (although this isn't visible yet):

- automatically generating "zoom pages" for thumbnailed images
      - sitemap routine
      - news database
      etc.

As I said: We could do it so that the CGI is used only each time a page is changed / added... although I'd prefer it otherwise. Hm... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Comment

"you mean one could build a general menu file which will be included on each page?"
        exactly. in fact, in the ctp section for example, the whole layout(the structure of the page from the begining with the main logo and the menu in one menu and the footer in another) is in two files. so only the main content of the page stays in the file of the page...

now, for some of the other things you can only of course use cgi(like the news pages)

in anyway, I(and our admin ) would prefer it not to have "on-the-fly" created pages.

------------------

Comment

MarkG: Ok, I'll do it as you say - but be patient, please, because I have to "train" SSI first.

All others: Whoever wants to work on the web page, too, please say so - I'm glad to get as much help as possible.

Tasks to assign include the following:

- keeping the news page up to date (separate news page as well as righthand bar)
          - receiving updated pages from other Dukes and converting them to nice and clean HTML. Although I plan to build that "edit" function, I think the visually better result would be if all texts / updates go through the hands of some experienced "webber". Dukes would then mail the text / update to this person who can layout them and transfer them via ftp.
          - I plan to integrate a guestbook, as well, and would gladly accept any offer from someone to be the moderator there (filtering out unwanted stuff, distributing messages if necessary...)
          - One possible way to go would be to have one "Web Duke" for each major section in order to streamline the page.

Your opinions, please.

P.S.: Nearly forgot - I need the texts and graphics which are to be included in the site soon - so whoever feels in charge (Mark?) please send them...

[This message has been edited by Dominique (edited June 18, 1999).]

Comment

thanks Dom!
            see http://www.carleton.ca/~dmcfet/html/ssi.html for an ssi tutorial...

------------------

Comment

Working...
            X