Graphics - how to do it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics - how to do it

The issue has been around for a while now: Which graphics format to use? For those among you who deal with the graphics engine of CLASH, please have a good look at the newly published graphics tool for Civ:CtP (you can get it at http://apolyton.net/cgi-bin/ctp/files/download.pl?id=30 , 1.4 MB).

I didn't know CtP's specifications when I made my proposals concerning the CLASH gfx, but they are stunningly close (TIF images as source, 24 bit, 8 bit alpha channel, shadow...). Please study the enclosed doc and give a statement if THIS technique would be feasable.
    Well, if we took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy, would they?

Looks good to me. Just to be sure you're talking about single alpha-channeled images? Do you envision more for shadows or shield / skin color? (I guess that would be more alpha channels?)

All we need to do is make sure that the tiff-enabled java routines you found aren't Really slow and we're in business. I will have to talk someone into doing a check .

-Mark
    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Civ:CtP actually uses 3 images for one single unit:

- The unit image
      - the 8-bit alpha mask
      - a 1-bit alpha mask for the shadow

Actually, I don't know why they use the latter - the same, if not better, effect can be accomplished by including the shadow in the main image and the 8-bit mask.

About the TIF format: It's not really necessary to use real TIF images in the game - a utility to convert TIF images into a format CLASH can use would do, too... there are only 2 aspects which are important to me:

a) at least 16-bit gfx
      b) editable format.

So, some kind of gfx compiler to convert user-defined pictures would be pretty fine.

If our JAVA cracks really insist on GIF / JPG, then I propose making a tool that converts any TIF image to GIF, but keeping the 16-/24-bit resolution for the screen. That way GIF could be used as an easily processable format, but each image could have it's own palette, which wouldn't be too bad, since the images are small, after all.

[This message has been edited by Dominique (edited June 07, 1999).]

Comment

Dominique,

I was thinking about the shadow problem like you. I think they used it, because the 8 face use 5 picture. If they use the same graph with shadow but turn 180 degree, the shadow also go from one side to the other so in this way the feeling of the light direction crash.
        (But I really dont know why they use 5 but not 8 picture?)

Blade Runner
        Blade

Comment

Blade Runner,

sure, you're right! As long as the the shadow doesn't go in the 6 o'clock direction, it is necessary to provide an extra shadow mask for directions 6-8.

This, of course, re-occupies some of the memory they freed when omitting directions 6-8. Well, seems Activision is a *bit* chaotic...

[This message has been edited by Dominique (edited June 08, 1999).]

Comment

Working...
          X