Good Ideas - Lost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Ideas - Lost?

1) At last count, there were 75 topics and 703 postings in the Clash forum. I know....I've been trying to read them all! One thing I've noticed is that there's LOTS of neat ideas out there, and it looks like many haven't made it into the Models. Now that could be through choice, but I'm willing to bet the real problem is simply that it's difficult to wade through that many posts.

2) The models are going to be "locked in" on 6/5. Mark has requested that everyone make comments ASAP so the Dukes have time to incorporate changes and/or debate their merits. Which means there's not a whole lot of time left to check out those early ideas.

Recommendation: Each team member should review all their "Clash" postings, and list each idea under one of the major topics (Military, Economic, Government, etc)
    This could then be posted to the appropriate "Model Thread" (for example, social ideas would be posted to manurein's "Social model proposition" thread). If we want to capture everything, perhaps some unlucky newbie gets tasked by Mark with collecting and sorting the comments posted by all the non-team members (after all, said newbie won't have many of his own to review, and it will serve him right for bringing this up!)

Here's one way to do this: Call up your Apolyton profile (find any of your postings and click the profile icon) and then "Search all postings by this user". They're listed by date and forum, which is nice. Next, review each "Clash" posting, and if you commented on, say, miltary stuff, copy just that part of the post to a text editor. You may want to date it, or even reference the thread it came from. Create several text files, one for each topic, and then slowly parse your posts and create the summary documents. When you're done, just post the contents of each to the appropriate model thread.

For what it's worth, I use a freeware text editor called "NoteTab". You can have many documents open simultaneously, and they're accessible from a tabbed interface (which is perfect for this task). If you're interested, grab a copy from Tucows.

Of course, this could be a lousy idea. You tell me.

To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Kull:

I didn't know about the all-posts feature, I'm sure that will come in useful at some point.

I tried to include answers to most of the issues posed in the forums in my summaries. Though when points get down into the minutia its hard to cover them all. I'd certainly say that if someone's favorite Idea(s) didn't make it in they could raise them again. I'm afraid that dumping all that old information onto the new threads will just make them impossible to read... YMMV

Are there specific cases that you think are important you can cite? Also keep in mind not all the model presentations are complete even at high-level yet.

Then again, I did completely forget about espionage, which I'd intended to include in the diplomacy writeup. And I had talked about using the culture as a holder for disease resistance... I guess you have a point after all . I still think that if everyone just looks over the proposals with a critical eye they will remember those few key things. Please point out any big omissions you note!

-Mark

[This message has been edited by Mark_Everson (edited June 01, 1999).]
    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Working...
    X