Ideas for Clash Web Page Layout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for Clash Web Page Layout?

Well, Dominique wanted me to provide a vision for the web site. I am basically artistically challenged, so my notion isn't particularly exciting. I thought I would put my ideas, as they are, up here, and then let the crowd come up with something better! Ain't I a snake .

We should start with a central overview page, kind of what's in the "FOR AN OVERVIEW OF THE CLASH PROJECT - READ THIS" thread but in well-thought out language. Of course the logo (good job Dominique) should figure prominently. Sprinkled in, there should be links to satelite pages covering the Major parts of the game (Military, Economic, Diplomatic, Government, Technology, Culture, and maybe more.) Two ideas for how the Major links should look...

A) This would be Tough to do... A rough (and low-res or it'd take too long to load) city scape (or maybe a time-line) with elements from different eras/areas, f.e.:
    A Samurai warrior (link to Mil)
    Venitian or Dutch Merchants trading(Econ)
    The UN building (Diplo)
    Roman or greek republican orator (Govt)
    Early RR (Tech)
    Don't know about a 'Culture' shot

B) Similar to A, but in medallions that are sprinkled throughout the summary.

Of course beyond these would be links to demos if available, bits about the AI, etc.

The satellite pages would have a somewhat similar theme and go into their area at greater depth. The 'dukes' in charge of each area would come up with the content.

Now, could you all help out the conceptually limited scientist dude and suggest some other things so we can get some Good suggestions?

Thanks, I knew you could ,

-Mark
    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comments (from a web designer, please tell me if I'm getting too "businesslike"):

- overview page at the beginning is VERY user-friendly

- I'd place "big logo" on a "splash page" and repeat the mini version only lateron.

- the city scape idea is excellent; I only suggest keeping the buildings in one general mood, i.e. style / epoch; I understand that you'd LOVE to show all the different aspects to be included in CLASH, but the mixture you propose might look a bit chaotic...

- the medaillons idea is good, too - maybe not looking as gorgeous, but better to navigate.

Again: Are there any sites you would like to have as models?
    Well, if we took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy, would they?

Comment

What's a 'splash page?'

City scape... I agree if it can be done at all, and look decent, there would need to be uniform buildings or something to tie it all together. Also I'm sure examples that could blend better can be come up with. Those were just a quick guess.

Web sites as models: Nope. Nothing really comes to mind. Your AoE group site is kewl, except for the moving stuff. (I'm easily distracted/bothered especially by things moving in my peripheral vision.) Sorry I can't be of more help.

-Mark
      Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
      A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
      Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

A "splash page" is a pre-page with typically a logo or a greeting on it, bearing no function in itself but to inform the visitor on what web site he's going into - kind of a door mat, if you like. Suitable mainly to set a certain atmosphere and to preject a corporate identity.

As for the animations on my AoE hobby site: Each user group demands it's own style, and while anims are "kewl" amongst players, on most sites they aren't

Comment

Mark...

when you start Windows, the page that displays while you are waiting -- the one with "Windows 95" and all the white clouds etc.--

THAT is the splash page. Does nothing but give you something interesting to look at at the start of the process, maybe some general info.

Comment

Two things,
            first, as I supposed to be in charge of two game aspects (government and tech) I´m pretty much responsible for what´ll be in the gov and tech pages. As my only experience with web-page making is with (ahemm) Microsoft Word :-), I´m afraid I´ll need some tutoring from you Dominique, any suggestions? I can get my hands on FrontPage, will that do any good? I really don´t won´t to unload it all on you, you´re overworked as it is plus the it incerases the chances of errors. So, what do I do... ?

Secondly, do we really want a Very graphical homepage? Personally I hate opening pages whihc take ages to open because of all the pictures, I like it simple.

Comment

No, no, Hrafknell, no sweat: None of you will have to do any HTMLing at all (i.e. if you don't want). All I need are plain ASCII text files and (if you have) illustrations. I'll do the rest, no prob.

Frankly, doing it in Frontpage would make things only worse (I HATE that tool!).

As for the graphics: I'd say, yes do some fancywork for the visitors while leaving a fast backdoor for us so we can take the shortcut to the info. Do not underestimate the effect of some decent images on the first-time visitor!

Comment

Can I suggest something? I nice site full of beautilfull pictures. Somewhere inside a url to read the information. We (of course after to read the whole site) can start from THIS url and we can read just the relevant information quickly.

Blade Runner
                Blade

Comment

Working...
                X