X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cultural model/alternate design (long) - feedback desired

Hi Keli.
    Thanx for your answer.

I've been thinking about a cultural model these days, and what I've come up with is
    something well beyond the scope of what I was first thinking about.... In fact, I've
    come back to smthg I was thinking about since quite a long time....
    I think this is feasible, but if u intend to have a working version soon, this could
    not fit in the time lane.
    Anyway, I give you my first thoughts, I will be looking forward for your feedback.
    (I will try to put my ideas in a coherent order...)

The general idea is based on the Multi-Agent Sytem theory (also called kenetics).
    The theme of kenetics (maybe u know this already, maybe better than me, anyway I will
    write a brief introduction, especially cause I can't give u english references on the
    subject. If u search references, don't serach for "agent" cause u would only find
    samrt web-based agents that have nothing to do with the subject. Rather search for
    kenetics - I'm not sure of the spelling). Well, the theme of kenetics is to simulate
    a high level behavior only with low level models. More precisely : you build agents,
    with a model of their behavior, and making them interact you can simulate the
    behavior of a whole group of agents. This is a very powerful technique, cause u can
    create very sophisticated behaviours at the high level with very simple agent models.

Examples of realisations with this is the simulation of the behaviour of a anthill
    with the agents being the ants. Resaerching a realistic high-level behaviour, the
    researchers have been able to fine tune the behaviour model of the ants (then
    verifying it matched the reality). In this particular case, they had a very realistic
    model at the high level, which helped them to understand how it worked at the
    agent-level. The method is to design agents, make them "live", observe the behaviour
    at the level u wish to simulate, then tune the agents to have a better-matching
    behaviour and iterate this process until u are happy of what u have. Other example of
    application is the simulation of bio-systems - in this case, the simulation would be
    quite impossible to build without this technique.
    Another intersting point in the Mutli-Agent Systems (MAS) is that they embrace the
    whole range of AI technologies. I mean that the agents can be "cognitiv", samrt if u
    want, and built with traditionnal AI. I also mean that a neural network is basically
    a MAS. In this particular case, u have a MAS built with "reactiv" agents - they are
    not smart, they only react to external signals/events.
    OK. Now a little bit theory.
    The basic and necessary pieces for a MAS are the agents and the communication sytem.
    As I mentioned, the behaviour of your model is the result of the interactions of the
    agnts composing your system. For interaction to occur, u must have the agents to
    communicate. I use this word in a very general sense : this means direct
    communication (a dialogue) as well as signal coming from the environment - what the
    agent "senses" (sees, hears ...). Thus, u have two types of communication :
    "intentional" communication and "propagated" communication. Propagated communication
    embraces every type of signal, be they natural or artificial. This covers everything
    an aget senses. Intentional communication originates from an agent who whishes to
    communicate. It can take several forms : direct (point to point), announce (everyone
    who can hear).
    Similarly, u have mainly two categories for the agents : the cognitiv agents and the
    reactiv agents. The complexity of the system and the complexity of its implementation
    mainly depends on the type of agents u have.
    Whatever they are, the agents behaviour primarly depends on one factor : its goal (or
    goals). Eventually, u also have contraint(s) (I mean internal constraints. Obviously,
    u always have external contraits, the primary being to have to live with other agents
    who have their own goal). In the case of the ants, each ant's goal is to secure the
    persistence of its anthill. Then, the interactions between the agents are described
    in terms of cooperation - their goals are compatible - or cooperation - their goals
    are incompatible.
    An agent is described in term of "state". The state is simply a set of values which
    describe, in a way, its "state of mind" - in object terminology, these are its
    attributes. Also, an agent has a set of behaviours, or actions (or methods in object
    terminology), which are directly influenced by its state. The signals/communications
    an agent receives generally have an effect on its state. Then, its net action will be
    influenced by every signal it received - which means interactions it had with its
    environment. Also, every action it takes is suceptible to alter its state.
    As I said, agents may be reactiv or cognitiv. In the first case, its behaviour is
    generally described as a mathematical model. In the second case, it can be a whole
    expert system, simple heuristics, even a complete MAS.
    That's all on theory for now. A brief summary on this : with a MAS, you create
    "emerging" high-level behaviours with low-level models.

Back to Clash. My thought is to implement a part or the whole civilization's society
    model as a MAS. The idea is to have the whole civ behaviour emerging from the
    interactions between different groups composing the civ. At first sight, I envision
    the groups as being a coherent agregate of people (or "heads", quoting Mark) sharing
    the same characteristics. More on these characteristics later. The agents would be
    defined as the groups. The agents should be IMO managed at the province level. I
    mean, inside a given province you would group the heads given their characteritics
    and form the agents. Actually, this would have to be done every time you have a new
    group of population appearing in the province (through birth ---> Mark I need input
    on your growth system, conquest, slavery...).
    Then the agents' states would be updated every turn through the communication system.
    I mean, every thing happeneing could come to the knowledge of an agent, which would
    "reat" accordingly (propagated communication type). Also, there could be as a result
    of an action by an agent direct communication (kind of diplomatic system).
    The normal behaviour of an agent is to do nothing (meaning having its normal
    activity). Each type of agent (more on this later) has a set of actions it can take.
    Since these actions are, in a way, exceptionnal actions, there would be a trigger for
    each action which would allow or prevent the action to be taken. These triggers are
    part of the state description (the attributes) of the agents. Also, these triggers
    move with time - this simulates the evolution of background culture. Other attributes
    will move fatser - to simulate the immediate mood of the agent. More on this later.
    In this way, actions taken by an agent, which are exceptionnal, result of the
    encounter between the slow-moving trigger and the fast-moving immediate state. If
    finely tuned, such a system could prove to be very supple and realistic.
    One point that is not very clear now, but could be very interesting and powerful in
    term of gameplay, is how to handle "classes" as u describe them. My thought is that
    we coumd achieve a kind of "floating" class system, which means that the classes
    shapes would be modeled by the way the agents group themselves (remember they have
    interactions in the form of cooperation or confrontation). Specifically, in the very
    beginning (I need input on this), there are basically two classes : the ruler/player
    and the rest of the people. Upper-classes for example are not buit-in as the civ
    arises, they are shaped by and evolve through the history of the civ. Then, the way
    the ruler distributes the privileges and the way the different groups of people react
    will define the aristocratic and the servant classes. I think there are means to
    constraint the agents into forming groups. Also, the fact that a group explodes would
    mean that the social stability is broken. For example, u could assume that under
    certain circumsatnces different culural groups leave together, with an apparent
    classic social shape - workers, bosses, religion... and that, when the situation
    changes, these groups explode a new groups appear, based on culture : nationalistic
    explosion...

OK, back on the agents. The agents are the profound base of the whole MAS. In a way,
    the mechanics of the whole simulation is inside the agents (along with the
    communication system).
    This a very first definition and it has to be refined a lot. I also need a lot
    feedback on this, as it will shape the whole behaviour of the civ. Also, as I
    mentioned before, this is not a short-term piece of work.
    Basically, the agents are reactiv agents (no cognitiv capacities). Since the agents
    would be managed at the province level, and since they would group several heads, I
    think the implementation would be quite smooth.
    The agents'behaviour would be governed by mathematical laws based on their state.
    An agent is an agregate of peaople sharing characteritics such as type of activity
    (farmer, worker, religious, soldier, administrative...), cultural attributes
    (original civilization, physical attributes, religion). These are some of the
    characteristics of the group, those that are taken into account to form the group.
    Then, when formed as an agent, the group has several other characteristics that shape
    its behaviour. Some general :
    - servility
    - education (or enlightment)
    - tradition/social mobility
    - insularity
    - life level
    - activity

Some specific to other groups :
    - a scale that defines a domined/dominant relation between two groups

Then, each agent has a set of actions at its disposal. Each action has a
    corresponding trigger. This trigger moves in response to signals/communications. Each
    turn, this trigger value is compared to the value of a formula based on the values of
    the characteristics of the agents. The result of the comparison will determine if the
    action is taken or not. The action set has two parts : one shared by evry agent (for
    example everything concerning religion and nationalism, since every agent is
    religion/culture-typed), another specific to the activity of the agent. More
    precisely, the activity of an agent is linked to a specific function it has in the
    civ. For example, merchants could be able to take actions such as boycotting, raising
    prices... The military could take actions such as dismissing the ruler/player; the
    worker could take actions such as strikes...
    Additionnaly, each agent could take a "communication action", which means entering in
    an intentional communication. Namely, they would wether negociate with other(s)
    agents, or communicate informations/needs to the ruler/player.
    Now on the class stuff. I said we have to tune the agents in a way such as they group
    themselves into "classes". I think there is an elegant way to achieve this. As I
    mentioned in the theory part, agents have goals and eventually constraints (which
    could also be described in terms of goals, in a sense. For the clarity of this
    discussion, I will however talk about constraints).

I. The agents have three primary goals :
    1. enhance their life level
    2. enhance their security of life
    3. climb in the dominant/domined scale.

II. Their main constraint, which is overridable, is :
    1. preserve the social cohesion.

A little disuscussion on these points :
    I.1. enhance their life level : this goal will be pondered by the life level of a
    given agent compared to the life levels he knows about. Ie : the mean life level in
    the province, and the differences between this group and the others; if communication
    tech is evolved enough, an agent could find its life level in a civ is so low he
    prefers to emigrate in another sim. Also, it will alow to simulate "class struggles"
    in the industrial age and stuffs like that. Through the comparison between the
    different life-levels, this goal is also linked to the tech level/age.
    I.2. Security of life may or may not be a characteristic of the agent (or be a result
    of signals of the environment of the agent). Anyway, this goal is useful to handle
    extreme sotuations, particularly reactions in front of wars (ie : typically, in a
    war, the life-level of the groups will move; moreover, people will be mobilized. If
    this war is directly linked to the security of the people, their angry will be
    tempered. Else they maybe will refuse the war or take actions that go vs. the
    ruler/player's will), and in the case of nationalist movements (a group is
    threatening another group to death).
    I.3. In my first thoughts, there is a scale between each group in the province. This
    must allow to handle particular situations between two groups (fe :
    workers/capitalists), as well as assess the relative strength of a group in the
    province.
    Each group wants to climb in the scale ge,nerally speaking, but in some particluar
    cases there may be a "private" struggle between two specific groups.

II.1. This constraint is used to privide facility for the classes. As the civ builds
    up, the shapes of the civ are arise through the way the agents group themselves. Then
    the civ evolves and through strong social movements (including revolutions), the
    shapes of the classes move. This constraint helps the agents group themselves, as it
    prevents them, unless very particluar, extreme conditions, it prevents them to take
    actions that will endanger the social cohesion, namely move the shape of the classes.
    Thus, when the behaviour of the agents are computed, each agent has to decide
    (compute) if it will override thsi constraint. If not, he will act as the majority of
    the class it belongs to, and the class would act in a way that it will not deeply
    modify the strenght ratios between each class. For example, u could have a workers
    class which is composed of several agents (based on religion or culture). As long as
    no particular events in the religious or natinalist field happens, the class will
    remain united. If an event (like a war fe) occurs, maybe one agent of the workers
    class will separate itself from the class and take actions on its own. Then further
    effects could lead in the formation of new classes in this particular province, this
    time based on nationality.

Now, about the interaction between agents, and between the agents and the world.
    There should be two systems : direct diplomacy, and events. First on the events.
    These represent everything that an agent can sense. They are implemented in the form
    of signals, which are propagated between agents and between province? The speed on
    propagation depends, among other things, on the communication tech level. Everything
    that happens in the game should have an associated event, carrying values that will
    modify the state of the agents. For example the tech evolution : each tech should
    have values related to the goals of an agent. For example, the printing press tech
    should mean for the dominated that there is a new mean to emancipate. Thus, the event
    associated with the discover of printing press should carry a value indicating that
    the domined are prompt to adopt it, where the dominant will try to prevent the
    domined to have acces to it, thus conforting their dominant position. In turn, the
    behaviour of each agent would be spotted by the other, adding to the tension between
    the twos... Similarly, a religious war would have throw an event carrying the two
    religions involved. These would modify values in the agents states, fe if the two
    religions are represented in a given province, the one in minority will feel
    threatened (ie its value for life security would decrease, possibily leading to an
    explosive situation in the province...)
    The diplomacy system would be implemented, as I stated before, as "communication
    actions" taken by an agent (or group of agent = class. Remember, as long as it does
    not decide to override its social cohesion constraint, the agents only behave like
    the majority of their class). I think, a part of the grouping process leading to the
    formation of classes would come from the negociations (compatible goals = tendancy
    to cooperate).

Every characteristic of the state of an agent would have an influence both on the
    level of the trigger, and as modifiers for the calcultion of behaviours. For example
    : the servility characteristic of a given group would lower its tendancy to override
    the social cohesion constraint. On the trigger point, the education (enlightment
    level) of a given agent would pull the trigger higher as it enhances (simulating the
    fact that educated people are generally less ready to make war), etc....

OK, this is the general framework. The work that has to be done consists of several
    steps :
    1. Strong specification for :
    - the different activities
    - the actions that can be taken by an agent, both shared actions and
    activity-specific actions
    - the events and the value they carry
    - the precise characteristics of the agents

2. First design of the agents

3. Design of a simplified environment for test and tuning purpose

4. Fine-tuning of the agents so that we get the behaviours we want for the civ in
    each given age, inside the test environment.

5. Then put all together and test the whole thing.

This system IMVHO is very interesting, cause it is very expandable. Fe, as I've
    described it, the way that techs spred into the society and are accepted and adopted
    is coded inside the behaviour of the agents. We could as well introduce in the agents
    the way they contribute to the innovation effort of the society. Another extension
    would be for example to refine the definition of the education/enlightement factor
    and split into several categories, which would have a differentiated effects. These
    modifications/refinement would be entirely transparent to the player, only the model
    would be finer.

A word on the interaction between the player and the simulated world, cause maybe
    it's not very clear. Such a system would not necessarly add micro-management or
    complexity for the player. The very intersteing effect is that he will have a
    "living" world to rule (I use the world "living" since, in a way, the agents will
    drive thei lifes themselves according to their goals/constraint). He will have to
    understand its civ's society, which does not mean micro-managing, but rather
    observing and analyzing. Then, he will have to "arbitrate" the classes/agents
    struggles, thus having a real inner politics (in the sense defined by Machiavel in
    its "Prince", even if I don't pretend at all to reach such a level...). The
    interactions between the player and its "citizens" wuill take the form of
    communications in the people-leader way, and every action the leader could take in
    the leader-people way. In deed, each action of the leader (be it legiferate, wage
    war, declare peace...) will throw signal that will influence the agents. In away,
    this looks like the things happen in reality.

Another advantage is that agents will carry on their history, as everything happening
    is suceptible to alter rheir states. The rate at which they are altered is a point
    that has to be tested and tuned. Anyway, it is a very supple system cause without
    adding a new attribute, just changing their values and their weight in calculations
    of decision (= action-taking) will change an agent's behaviour a lot. Also, u could
    add new characteristics as the game and the environment evolves.... Anyway, this
    means we could begin with quite a sipmle model and refine it step by step.

I still have troubles in clarifying certain points (I would appreciate input,
    feddback and ideas on this a lot). A very important point is how to handle the
    upper-class. I have one definition for this : it's the class that has enough
    institutional power to influence the ruling of the empire. The composition of this
    class changes with time. In the middle-age, the aristocrats were wether former Roman
    aristocrats or warriors that have gained the king's favours. In the modern era, the
    aristocrat is, in the USA, mainly the richest capitalists. In France, it is composed
    with the richest capitalists and what we call the high administartors (the idea to
    add the "administartion" activity comes mainly from here. In the modern France case,
    u would have a very huge administartive class, since about 1/4 or 1/3 of the french
    active pop works directly for the government. Also, if we want to simulate an empire
    comarible with the ancient China, we di have to have an administration
    activity-type.) Back to my problem : would upper-class be a different class-type,
    since the population they are composed of is in number unsignificant vs. the whole
    population? Also, I have the idea that the particular group/agent an aristocrat
    belongs to would change the position of this group/agent in the general hierarchy of
    the province. I have to think on this further.
    Another point is yhe articulation between province and agents. As I have defined it,
    there are interactions between the agents inside a province. But there should also be
    interactions between the province, and interactions betwwen classes across the whole
    empire. An idea is to not create a specific structure to handle this, keep on having
    two basic structures : the agents and the classes they belong to, and work solely
    with the events propagation system. For example, if a worker strike occurs in a
    province, a signal will be thrown, and maybe the workers in the neigbhouring
    provinces will take an action after receving this signal wich would be wether strike,
    or eventually enter in diplomatic relation with the group that first stroke etc...
    Thus you could simulate the propagation of events throiuhout the empire, and see
    groups created over the province borders. This would also simulate chain-reactions.
    These groups would not have any meaning in term of game mechanics (no specific
    structure to handle them), they will be stricly the result of the interactions of the
    agent composing the civ, but they will have strong impacts in term of gameplay.
    An other point is to decide if we will constrain more the class sytem, I mean decide
    and design every class that can exist and force each agent into one of them (in this
    case there must be constitency between the available classes and the general shape of
    the society and government, as well as the epoch) or if will leave the agents the
    freedom to group themselves as tey "feel". We could also have a mid-trm strategy,
    where we don't pre-design the classes, but we monitor that it doesnt create too much
    an irrealistic situation and in this case force a little bit things.
    Also, we have to find how gov type will be articulated with the agents behaviours.
    Here again, we have the chpice of pre-designing gov forms and the influence they have
    on the agents, or leave freedom to the player to organize its empire make the agents
    behave in response to this. Of course, in this case we lose the ability to name the
    each form of government (is this such a problem).... One example : we could let the
    player the ability to choose who governs a new province. If the player hires a mamber
    of its administration, then we a China-like centralized gov-type. If the player
    chooses to elect a noble, then we would rather have a feudal-like gov type. More
    finer, the choice of this province governor would be made between a local noble and a
    noble "imported" from the empire-s capital province. This would have strong effect.
    In the first case, the upper-class would shape itself as being a high-administrator
    upper-class. In the other case, it would a traditionnal aritocratic class, but which
    would be composed wether of nobles coming from different provinces (thus eventually
    belonging to different religions or cultures) or forming a hardcore of nobles sharing
    exactly the same characteristics. All this would modify the strength ratios in each
    province and the behaviour of the agents. The other alternative is the player to
    choose a government form and the game handle the rest itself (such as shaping the
    classes, nominating the governors etc...), and the only role of the agents would be
    to simulate how the new shape is accepted (I dont really like this. If we take the
    first alternative, gov changes will mostly be the resulkt of revolutions originating
    from the agents, without direct intervention to the player. Much more realistic,
    cause this means a rev occurs when the conditions are good for a rev to occur, and
    the gov form that erects then is consistent with the situation that led to the
    revolution...)

Notes :
    -we would also have a notion of distance between cultures that would influence the
    way they live together, along with the dominant/domined scale.
    - the hybrid problem would be handled quite naturally : they begin as a new agent,
    and try to fit in an existing class. Eventually they will stay a distinct agent, or
    they will be absorbed by an existing agent with time, according to several parameters
    such as the original relationship between their parents, the pop ratio etc... (see my
    post in the culture thread)
    - the life level factor is very important. It is manipulated through the tax system
    by the ruler/player, but also by the agents themselves. Thus, in a feudal type civ,
    the life level of the serfs (peasants) depends as much on the tax imposed by the
    nobles as on the tax imposed by the king. Same thing about workers vs. capitalists.
    - The religion would be handled as a seperate model. Indeed, religions are basically
    nationwide. So I suggest we have a model for the religions that show what kind of
    values this paticular religion carries (thus allowing to compute distances between
    religions). L*Maybe we could also try to simulate how they spreded in the world, how
    they splitted to form new ones... On the agent level, each agent has a particular
    religion, and a value showing how much he is influenced by the religion. The values
    of the religion combined with its influence for a given agent would show how it
    affects its behaviour. Fe, a religion which preaches servility to the master would
    maintain an agent's servility level high as long as this religion has a strong
    influence on him. But as soon as this influence is low enough for the agent to
    override itd social cohesion constraint, he will be upset cause the religion class
    forced him in a state that is against its goal (namely, climbing in the
    dominant/domined scale).

OK, I think that's all for now. I'd really like feedbak on this, guys.

One last point, referring to my first email to Mark. I told that I would like the
    tools given to the player to evolve with the civ and the techs. I've not thought more
    about that, but I have a related idea. Since it seems clear that, in the early game,
    the size of a manageable empire is very small compared to the empires of the late
    game, say an early empire could have roughly the size of a late game's province, the
    scale of the game could be changed at a given point. In the bginning, everything
    happens in the square-level, then it turns to province level. (I guess in the
    beginning there is only one province. Maybe taking control of this entire province is
    an earky goal for the player, so reducing the scope of the game would be intersting
    there. Once again, I need input on the beginning of the game).

OK, guys, Cya.

Manu.

PS : i wait for your feedback to post anything on the forum. Copies of this message
    to Hrafnkell an Mark.
    PS2 : I am really interested in developping this model, but if you need it we can try
    to work strictly on the cultural model. As you can see, this model would embrace the
    whole behaviour of the civ, including things related to the gov model. When I said it
    was expandable, it also means that a part of the economic model would be mechanized
    through the agents. Btw, MArk, have your considered unemployment in your model?

Mark Everson wrote:

> Manu:
    >
    > Wow, what a model. I haven't been able to read it in detail yet, but I have skimmed it,
    > and wanted to get back to you quickly. Firstly, I'm very familiar with MAS and am
    > planning on using agents for merchants and military supply in Clash already. I am sorry
    > to be negative on this, but my first response after having only skimmed your proposal, is
    > that it would probably be too detailed and consume too many clock cycles to be usable. I
    > think it would be Excellent if the whole game were oriented towards modeling the social
    > dynamics. But since there is So much more going on in Clash I think each turn would be 5
    > min if we did this level of approach. There is the additional problem that MASs of this
    > complexity tend to give highly nonlinear and surprising results in some regeimes, and
    > that ensuring non-chaotic behavior might be a problem. This is just my first thoughts on
    > the matter. Lets see what Hrafnkell thinks also. Additionally you're welcome to post it
    > on the fourm as an "alternate" model and see what other people think. I think we're all
    > a flexible group, and can change our opinions after enough discussion. I'm sorry to be a
    > "wet blanket" as we say in the States, but I thought you should hear this as soon as
    > possible.
    >
    > On unemployment, the model has severe under-employment in it, which i think is probably
    > good enough. I posted on it somewhere, but frankly can't tell you right now where...
    >
    > -Mark
    >

What a quick answer, Mark...

Well, I understand your reserves about clock cycles. My first estimations were based on the
    fact thet there should be few agents, and that they are strictly reactiv agents, meaning no
    inference engine or things like that, only mathematical calculus.
    Anyway, it obviously has to be tested...
    I have come to such a model because I could not figure out how to articulate the classes of
    the gov model with the cultures. Also, I thought that we need a lot of supplness to have
    smooth evolution of the civs. And overall, as u know MAS are wonderful systems cause they
    allow for very sophisticated behaviours with relatively simple models. On the chaotic
    behaviour, I've included in my mail first thoughts on haow to constraint the agents. But I'm
    still questionning on how to constraint them.
    Also, on the problem of clock cycles, one parameter is important : if Clash is strictly an MP
    game, each computer would run a limited number of civs (in many cases only one...)
    Anyway, I will do what has to be done. I'm right now considering switching on a strictly
    cultural model fitting in your current architecture (also I can't get a clear picture of this
    architecture, so if you can help me on this... I think the main infos I miss are thosed
    remaining on the former forum).

So if u have general guidelines for this cultural model beyond what I have seen in ur thread,
    pass them to me.
    Back on my system. I agree, as I mentionned in my mail, that it's maybe not feasible right
    now. But to be frank, building a game based on such a model has been in my mind for quite a
    long time, although I've never had the courage to begin this alone. U've helped me a lot in
    making my ideas clearer and I think u already have a structure such that we could go
    somewhere with such an idea...

I will wait for Hrafnkell feedback, then I guess I will post on the forum a mix of my mail
    and your reactions.

Cya. Manu.

Comment

manurein wrote:

What a quick answer, Mark...

Now I have read the model more carefully. I stand behind my previous comments .

> Well, I understand your reserves about clock cycles. My first estimations were based on the
      > fact thet there should be few agents, and that they are strictly reactiv agents, meaning no
      > inference engine or things like that, only mathematical calculus.
      > Anyway, it obviously has to be tested...

One problem is doing it on the province level. We were planning on doing something similar
      (although not as detailed) on a civ level already. A crude sketch is in the government post on
      the web page.

> I have come to such a model because I could not figure out how to articulate the classes of
      > the gov model with the cultures. Also, I thought that we need a lot of supplness to have
      > smooth evolution of the civs. And overall, as u know MAS are wonderful systems cause they
      > allow for very sophisticated behaviours with relatively simple models. On the chaotic
      > behaviour, I've included in my mail first thoughts on haow to constraint the agents. But I'm
      > still questionning on how to constraint them.

You may be right that there is no good way to "cartoon" the right behavior in. I would certainly
      be more supportive of your model if it turns out that there's no good way to get the Big effects
      right with a simpler model.

> Also, on the problem of clock cycles, one parameter is important : if Clash is strictly an MP
      > game, each computer would run a limited number of civs (in many cases only one...)

Clash should also be a single player game...

> Anyway, I will do what has to be done. I'm right now considering switching on a strictly
      > cultural model fitting in your current architecture (also I can't get a clear picture of this
      > architecture, so if you can help me on this... I think the main infos I miss are thosed
      > remaining on the former forum).

There is no really clear picture I have thought about things not very far beyond what is
      already written up. You might want to do a search on the new forum for "culture" and see what it
      comes up with. The old BB has no search capability, so you'll just have to look around. There
      are little references to culture all over the place. Hrafnkell has some ideas as culture relates
      to government that I don't think he's posted yet (possibly also for tech also). I would say
      flesh out what you think needs to be in there, and then post your ideas. Just remember we need
      to keep it as limited as possible and still get the Big things in there...

> So if u have general guidelines for this cultural model beyond what I have seen in ur thread,
      > pass them to me.
      > Back on my system. I agree, as I mentionned in my mail, that it's maybe not feasible right
      > now. But to be frank, building a game based on such a model has been in my mind for quite a
      > long time, although I've never had the courage to begin this alone. U've helped me a lot in
      > making my ideas clearer and I think u already have a structure such that we could go
      > somewhere with such an idea...

I think we should keep your model in mind. Unfortunately all we have now are words. If you want
      to do some back-of-the-envelope calculations about the overhead for your model, perhaps that
      would help. Some sample numbers are that the map has 64k squares. Probably 15-20k good usable
      land squares. Maybe 1000 provinces in the ancient world, 30 civs, and 100 cultures. A head is
      right now 1000 people. Make some guesses and plug in some numbers for clock cycles and memory to
      do it according to your model. I think the numbers will be very big... but we'll see!

IMO for computers 3-5 years from now it may be possible to implement such a model within the
      context of a civ-like game. Maybe even in Clash2!

> I will wait for Hrafnkell feedback, then I guess I will post on the forum a mix of my mail
      > and your reactions.

Again I am sorry to be negative. You have a fascinating idea. One of the bad parts about a
      project like this is that there are Many hard decisions to make, and with far less than complete
      information.

-Mark

Comment

A quick calculus : if I follow u, there are about 1000 provinces in the ancient world shared between
        30 civs (maybe it's 1000 provinces per civ with 30 thiv, then 30,000 civs). Let's assume at this time
        10 agents per province (since there has not been big mixes at this time, and there's a limited number
        of activities). Let's give 10,000 clock-cycles an agent to compute its state and its actions; let's
        give another 10,000 clock-cycles per agent for the MAS software architecture, ie massaging handling
        etc. Now let's assume the jave VM runs at the rate of 1/4 vs. the hardware host. This gives us for
        the handling of the agents for 1 turn : 1,000 (30,000) provinces * 10 agents * 20,000 clock-cycles *
        4 clock cycles = 800,000,000 (24,000,000,000,000) clock_cycles per turn, which gives 8 seconds on a
        100Mhz machine (240s = 3 minutes for 30,000 provinces). This is for the whole world (every civ, SP
        game) for one turn. I could be wrong but I think this would be sustainable. If really the whole
        behavior of the agents is under maths form, maybe 20,000 clock-cycles per agent is achievable.

Mark Everson wrote:

>
        > I think we should keep your model in mind. Unfortunately all we have now are words. If you want
        > to do some back-of-the-envelope calculations about the overhead for your model, perhaps that
        > would help. Some sample numbers are that the map has 64k squares. Probably 15-20k good usable
        > land squares. Maybe 1000 provinces in the ancient world, 30 civs, and 100 cultures. A head is
        > right now 1000 people. Make some guesses and plug in some numbers for clock cycles and memory to
        > do it according to your model. I think the numbers will be very big... but we'll see!
        >
        > IMO for computers 3-5 years from now it may be possible to implement such a model within the
        > context of a civ-like game. Maybe even in Clash2!
        >
        > > I will wait for Hrafnkell feedback, then I guess I will post on the forum a mix of my mail
        > > and your reactions.
        >
        > Again I am sorry to be negative. You have a fascinating idea. One of the bad parts about a
        > project like this is that there are Many hard decisions to make, and with far less than complete
        > information.
        >
        > -Mark

Comment

Manu:

Yes, its not quite as bad as I'd feared, but not so good either. The big leverage of course is in
          changing the 20k clock cycles number either up or down. As you thought, it is 1000 provinces total for
          the world. Well, I guess we should talk about both ways of doing it and see what others think. Some
          things will also be in common regardless of which way we pick to do it.

Bon Chance,

Mark

Comment

Hi Manu,

I´ve been digesting your proposals for awhile now, I must say I have mixed
            feelings about them. I like the general idea and perhaps in the end we´ll
            adopt it, or some parts of it, simply out of necessity. It may very well be
            that this system (or something similar) is the only way for us to make all
            the different elements in the game work together.
            However, in many cases I feel your system is maybe a bit too elaborate
            than is really needed, to say nothing about time-consuming. IMHO many of
            the things you mention could be implemented more easily (and simpler).
            This is especially true for the class system you propose, I don´t think
            that letting the people (agents) choose their class will work at all and
            the class relationship is a bit too complicated. Maybe it would work better
            to make the classes themselves agents? That way, instead of assigning each
            agent a place in the land, it´s religion and other features we would simply
            compute these things on the class as whole on a percentage scale. Then,
            when a triggering event occurs only the portion in question is affected,
            lets say f.e. that a class is 70% protestant and 30% catholic, if something
            happens which makes only the catholics unhappy the unrest level is
            increased by 30% of the total potential increase, then, if the catholics
            would revolt, 30% of the class would be immiedietly affected. Where the
            riot/revolt occurs would then simply be chosen randomly, with a few
            class-related modifiers (laborers=city, upper class=faraway province, etc.)
            I know this is much simpler than what you propose, but I have doubts that
            we need all the details in your proposals.
            Anyway, as I said, the general idea is good, but in my opinion we should
            make the classes the focal point. Now, whether to make them into agents
            the same way you propose or not is another question. But by all means, put
            this on the forum, I think we should talk about your ideas some more,
            constructive critizism should get us nearer the best solution :-). I´ll
            look more closely on your ideas and for all I know your proposals are what
            we could end up with, who knows :-). Also, I know my criticism above is
            not well thought out (it´s such a short time since I saw your proposals)
            and I don´t offer any solid ideas on my own at this stage, but I´m working
            on them.

Finally, here are a couple of unrelated things I want you to look over and
            critize.

Be hearing from ya,

Keli.

Types of Governments:

Governments generally come in two forms: one-person rule, and many-persons
            rule (sorry about the kiddie-talk, I´m just trying to keep things simple
            J). Of course this is nor black-and-white, many gov.forms can be of either
            type (although not at once), f.e. theoritically communism is supposed to be
            the control of the people, but in practice the Party always rules
            everything and very often (more often than not) a single person takes
            (almost) total control. Stalin, Castro and that N-Korea guy who died
            recently are noteable examples. The most common form of single-person rule
            is of course Monarchy, but there are many types of Monarchy, ranging from
            ancient Tribal Chieftainism where the best warrior was king, to the
            Absolutist Monarchies of 17th and 18th century Europe to modern day
            Constitutionalized Monarchies where the King/Queen rule in name only. Other
            factors can come in, such as imperialism, divine-right,
            dictatorship/tyranny, dynasties, etc. As for many-person rule the ultimate
            form is of course Democracy, but many other forms exist, such as
            Citizen-Republic (ancient Greek, early Rome), Oligarchy-Republic (Venice,
            Holland). Many factors can also influence this, such as fundamentalism,
            federalism, feudalism, socialism, representive systems, party politics, etc.
            The system I propose is a bit radical, but IMHO simple, efficient and fun.
            Players simply choose between a single-person government and multi-person
            government (we probably need to change the names tho J). The basic type of
            single/multi government depends on the era I haven´t yet made all the
            different types that gradually come into play, a rough scetch for
            single-person would be: tribal-chieftain; despot, monarch, dictator.
            Anyway, this is only top of the iceberg in any case, because in addition to
            the basic governmental form players can choose all sorts of 'add-ons' to
            further refine their government type. These add-ons (some of which I
            mention above as 'factors') all have specific advantages/disadvantages.
            Most will only become available through research and many can only be
            applied under certain conditions. Lets take Imperialism as an example, the
            requisite conditions for choosing it would probably be determined by the
            size of your domain. Now, the main advantage of Imp. is that cultural
            differences within the state are less potent, so this is very conveniant
            for multi-national/racial states. Imp. also would give a small bonus to
            diplomacy. The main disadvantage is more corruption and possibly some
            unrest penalties for bad diplomatic/military results (people expect you to
            win all the time, you´re the Kaiser for Christ sake J). So basically
            players are able to tailor their government in accordance to their needs,
            wishes and ability. This allows for numerous variations of government
            types, democracy isn´t just democracy, you can add socialism to it,
            federalism, commonwealth, whatever, and the same goes for the other
            gov.forms (monarchy,dictatorship, etc.). The beauty of the system is that
            it´s simple, although I haven´t completely thought this out I guess players
            would be able to simply choose the direction they´d want to go and the AI
            would take care of the rest.
            Anyway, this is my idea, its still in the rough-scetch stage, but if you
            like it I´ll flesh it out.

Class support:

The classes in Clash each support the ruler to some degree and act against
            him to some degree. Those (within a class) who support him are
            pro-government, those against him are anti-government, the rest is
            considered neutral. Those who are anti-government can affect various
            activities by the government (negatively of course), while those who are
            pro can affect it positively, although they don´t do as much good as the
            anti does bad. The proportion within each class that is anti or pro
            depends very much on how politically aware the class is. The Upper Class
            is always very politically aware, thus they´re are mainly anti and/or pro,
            there are few neutrals in that class. On the other hand the Labor Class is
            seldomly very politically aware (don´t let today´s situation blind you J),
            so they are most often majority neutral the advent of public education,
            newpaper, the Enlightenment, etc. As for the other classes, the Military
            is often very politically aware, for the Religious class, this depends on
            the Religion (some are more active/reclusive than others). Of course many
            things can affect these basic assumptions, such as cultural standings,
            social advancements, spread of political theories, extent of economical and
            individual freedom and so on.

The Unrest generated by each class (Social Tension, as you so elogantly
            coined it J) is mainly based on the pro/anti/neutral distribution. I
            haven´t decided upon the exact numbers for this, and I envision using the
            Unrest to balance things out in the end, so this is liable to numerous
            chances in playtest. The basic idea is, obviously, that the anti-group
            generates most, then the neutrals. The main question is whether neutral
            should have zero or a little negative effects and the pro-group zero or
            somewhat posetive effects. But that is irrelevant at the moment. Of
            course, if a class is more anti than pro there is a change it will revolt,
            which significantly increases if the anti-group is 50% or more of the
            class. My idea is that various events in the game can 'trigger' a revolt,
            i.e. when some event occurs every class (or some, depending on the event)
            are checked to see if the event causes them to revolt. If the class is
            more pro than anti there is almost no chance it will revolt, if it´s more
            anti the chances increase, but won´t get significantly high unless the
            anti-group is 50+%. Historically, few revolts just 'happened', first,
            there must be a gradual build-up of unhappiness, then there must occur some
            triggering event to set it all in motion.

The pro/anti/neutral distribution also affects the administration of the
            government. The anti-group in an associate class diminishes the efficiency
            of the administrative work the class does. As I said somewhere on the old
            BB the total political power of the assoc.classes (plus the Principal)
            determines whether the basic administrative system is large enough, i.e. if
            it´s over 75% it performs admirably, if between 50 and 75 its sufficient,
            if under 50 its insufficient and not enough, this will generate Unrest and,
            in time, decrease the Central control (and maybe Provincial) and increase
            Square/Village accordingly. The efficiency of the administration is then
            based on how much is spent and how large the anti-groups of the
            administrative classes are. The pro-element can on the other hand give
            positive modifiers to administration efficiency, although not as much. I
            was thinking perhaps 1.2 for pro, 0.5 for anti. This means that if a class
            is 100% pro (only in the fabled Utopia J), administration efficiency is
            120% (Dilbert and his colleagues would probably not buy this math J).
            Of course, there are other modifiers to administration efficiency, but the
            size of the anti-group within a class roughly determines the amount of
            corruption (the 'lethality' of this corruption is then based on the
            gov.form.

What effects a class's anti/pro distribution (I think we need a name for
            this, but I can´t think of any at the moment):

Pol. Affairs Econ. Affairs Mil. Affairs Cult. Affairs
            Upper Class High Medium Medium Medium
            Military Medium Low High Medium
            Religion Medium Medium Low High
            Labor Class Low High Medium Medium

Pol.Affairs > Changes in government, diplomatic treaties (not Peace
            treaties, that's Mil.Aff.), rise/decline of political power within the state.

Econ.Affairs > Taxes&tarrifs, restrictions on economical activity, prices,
            shortages of neccesities (famines), unfair/bungling governmental
            interferance in the economy.

Mil.Affairs > DoW (either way), mobilizing/demobilizing armies,
            winning/losing battles, winning/losing wars, war atrocities (only, other
            atrocities are in Cul.Affairs, (attempted) genocides (like the Holocaust)
            would probably be in Cul.Aff. too), army plundering, brigandry&pirates.

Cul.Affairs > Religious disputes, radical changes in class structure,
            rise/decline of education level, nationalism, minority groups, environment,
            erosion of traditions.

This list is incomplete and should only be taken at face value, how a
            class/state reacts to a given event depends largely on the gov.form,
            culture and such, so this is only a crude generalization.

Comment

Hi guys,

after further reflection upon Manus ideas I´ve decided to support them,
              although I still think the Class bit needs some refinement. I suggest we
              continue to dicuss that. I looked at the picture from Manus POV and as I
              see it this idea is probably the only way we can accurately track cultural
              changes. If we base the culture on the land (square/province/state)
              migrations will be a problem, with Manus system the culture moves with the
              people. If we can, we should try to trim the system down as much as we
              can, else turns will take much too much time as Mark pointed out. I have no
              ideas on this at the moment, simply because the system is still largely in
              the shades for me. I encourage you Manu to try to simplify the system as
              much as you can, if you can base it on Classes instead of a set body of
              people as I suggested (which I have no idea if can work or not) that would
              be very good. Mark, if you have any clever ideas on how to handle culture
              differently, speak up now or be forever silent :-). I myself will look
              into how this will tie up to the governmental system.

Keli.

Comment

Keli:

Sure, I'd certainly like to see it fleshed out. It seems to tie into the tech stuff
                better. I'm a little concerned that all the switches may require a byzantine set of
                rules. "If you're in feudalism you can't do imperialism except if on a tuesday..." A
                couple of examples of historical transitions done in the model would be illuminating
                too. I'm looking forward to seeing it!

-Mark

Comment

Gentlemen:

Hrafnkell Oskarsson wrote:

> Hi guys,
                  >
                  > after further reflection upon Manus ideas I´ve decided to support them,
                  > although I still think the Class bit needs some refinement. I suggest we
                  > continue to dicuss that. I looked at the picture from Manus POV and as I
                  > see it this idea is probably the only way we can accurately track cultural
                  > changes. If we base the culture on the land (square/province/state)
                  > migrations will be a problem, with Manus system the culture moves with the
                  > people.

If the people move you just put a tag on them saying what their culture and
                  class is. Perhaps I never mentioned it, but its been my thought from the
                  beginning.

> If we can, we should try to trim the system down as much as we
                  > can, else turns will take much too much time as Mark pointed out. I have no
                  > ideas on this at the moment, simply because the system is still largely in
                  > the shades for me. I encourage you Manu to try to simplify the system as
                  > much as you can, if you can base it on Classes instead of a set body of
                  > people as I suggested (which I have no idea if can work or not) that would
                  > be very good.

If the general system Manu proposes is to be computationally feasible it must
                  be reduced at least to the classes in a province, as Hrafnkell says. That is,
                  say, an agent for each class in each province. This is the scenario Manu and I
                  discussed earlier today. Any more and there is an 'explosion' in the number of
                  agents that would probably require minutes per turn just to handle this one
                  segment of the game.

> Mark, if you have any clever ideas on how to handle culture
                  > differently, speak up now or be forever silent :-).

I still don't see what's wrong with the general direction we were going in
                  prior to this. Can you point out to me explicitly what is wrong? I seem to
                  have missed what is Big that doesn't work. I understand that Manu's proposal
                  could be a better world model. However, it also might not be. These models
                  can be very sensitive to details of agent behavior. I am migrating into the
                  area of agent-based systems for economic and strategic issues at work, so I
                  know a Lot about them. In my professional judgement what I've seen so far is a
                  very serious research project, not part of a game. I'm certainly not against
                  agents in general, in fact everything we've done up to this point could be
                  handled from an agent perspective. But to expand too far beyond what we have
                  now will IMO give us serious time problems. One of my goals for Clash is to
                  allow someone who is not interested in micromanaging anything to play an entire
                  game in a long evening. To achieve that turns need to be at most 15sec long
                  when not much is happening that needs the player's attention. I am very
                  concerned that even a stripped-down version of this model would consume a large
                  fraction of that time.

> I myself will look
                  > into how this will tie up to the governmental system.
                  >
                  > Keli.

I guess my main point is I Already thought we were going somewhat too far with
                  the detail in the previous model for government and culture, such as they
                  were. Now it looks to be getting a further 10-100x more complicated. (not necc
                  more complicated for the player, but in terms of clock cycles and debugging /
                  model refininig time. Sorry if I'm being sharp, but I think this is a very
                  important decision.

Cya,
                  Mark

Comment

Mark,

sorry if this has upset you, I knew I was walking on thin ice by
                    participating in this discussion because I know so little about
                    programming. Of course if you say that Manus system is undoable then that´s
                    the end of that. My only thought was that Manus ideas (trimmed of course)
                    seemed a good way of handling a lot of different things in one go. But if
                    this means too much overhead (or whatever you guys call it), then lets just
                    forget about it and keep things like they where :-).

Keep in touch,

Keli.

Mark replies :

Keli:

I'm only stating my opinions. Don't worry, I'm much more difficult to seriously
                    upset than that. IMO Manu should do whatever he is convinced will work. We're
                    all doing this to see our own designs in action after all. He'd already said he
                    could work on both a "simple" (already vastly more complicated than any other game
                    I can think of system and the agent-based one. I could certainly be wrong
                    about which one will work out best. That's why when both ideas are sketched out
                    we should have the others look at them and see what they say. Then we can
                    evaluate the "return" each model gives us for the clock cycles "invested". I
                    guess the only thing my judgement tells me is not to spend too much time on the
                    agent one unless it has very large advantages over the other way.

I'd still like to hear what you think is so unworkable about the previous system
                    we had sketched out... I may have missed it in the 20+ emails a day I'm getting
                    on this both blessed and cursed (for my spare time project.

Take Care,

Mark

Comment

I just finished looking over your government model, and I like many of the ideas in it. However, I feel some more variety is necessary in terms of the social structure.

In the document, you made it sound as if keeping the upper class happy is much more important than keeping the lower class happy. I strongly disagree with this view. Keeping the lower class happy should also be important. While a greater unhappiness may be necessary for a working class revolt, it also should be more likely for the workers to get to such an unhappiness level. Also, factors such as education of the lower classes should play a role in whether the lower class revolts.

In a communist government, such a social structure does not exist at all. For a communist government, it should be set so that the workers have the most power and the upper classes and the church having none (as they will have disappeared). Some of us (including me) have hope that someday classes will not exist. The game should allow for this to happen at some point.

This is just my opinion. The game should not alienate people with certain political views. The concept of a class structure should not be a requirement throughout the civilization.

Comment

Brian:

I think that until fairly recently in history, say the industrial revolution, most revolts of substance originated in the upper and military segments of society. So, at least in my view, the proposed model is correct. Now, in more recent history, the working classes influence has certainly been much more important than before. But this will be in the system...

Your points about communism may be true for some sort of utopian communist state, but none of those have occurred in history. Communist states as they recently/currently exist surely do have upper classes, they are simply the higher echelons of the party IMO.

I think the system will be able to handle both communism as it has happened in the world, and utopian communist states too.

The way you'd handle a "classless" society (the design isn't quite up to it yet, but close) would be for the workers and minority/dependents classes have 100% of the power. There would still be a "principal" and "upper classes" but they would have no effect on the politics unless like a strong-man tried to have a revolt or coup to take over the government.

-Mark
                        Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
                        A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
                        Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Hi Hrafnkell.

Glad to hear your support!

I agree we should try to simplify the models as much as possible.
                          I try thinking of something different from an MAS, but I can't get good stuff. My idea
                          is that if we try to have only a global model for everything concerning the "social"
                          model (everything modelling the people, including the cultural model), it would very
                          complicated, very rigid and sensitive - or it would be too "stereotyped".... Maybe I'm
                          wrong, I'm still thinking about that.
                          The other way would then try to build an MAS simple and supple enough to fit our
                          needs, both in terms of realism, smooth evolution and performance.

I have a problem with agents based on classes only. It would be more difficult to
                          treat real cultural problems, such as religious or nationalist, cause this would mean
                          we would have to split the agents when such things occur. Moreover, I think managing
                          the different cultures only through ratios in a given class would mean loss of
                          suppleness and quite a sophisticated software mechanics to handle the ratios and
                          effects. In fact, I think the whole behviour of the people should be embedded
                          together, I mean not seperating the quite stricly political behaviour of a class
                          (revolting or not) from the social and cultural facts. Through this, we could simulate
                          revolts, strikes, religious/nationalist wars etc.. with some coherence - IMHO these
                          facts are rarely disjoint...

About your ideas :

I think you have a good idea with the one/many-rulers model with factors. I think u
                          have to precise some points :
                          - how far will the player have control on the government shape, on moreover on the
                          government changes : real government changes rarely occurded by the Will of the
                          ruler...
                          - how the control of the player will be implemented, I mean : will he namely choose
                          such factor in such gov form, or will his discrete actions in a given gov. form set,
                          unset or modify the attributes of the gov. (for exemple, in a Monarchy, he could
                          namely hire a governor for a province, choosing him between a Noble or one of its
                          administrators, such shaping wether a centralized or a feudal Monarchy type.)
                          - Back to the particular case of gov. change. First : will there be a "Revolution"
                          Button like in CivI/II or Ctp, or will the revolution be the result of the
                          inadequation between the gov form and the social mood/aspirations at a given point? In
                          this last case, will the ruler have direct choice for the succeding gov. form (this
                          should be, assuming that as soon as the revolution has occured - and succeeded, the
                          player takes the place of the winner and thus decides of the new gov. form). However,
                          will there other prerequisites than tech for a given gov. to be available after a
                          revolution, for exemple social prerequisites?

- Concerning the Class support point, if we finally turn out to use agents, all this
                          should be embedded in the agents. This way we could mix social/political/cultural
                          behaviours. Maybe we could use a separate slider for the political involvment case - a
                          good idea IMO - or just compute the stuff through other sliders. This way, fe, the
                          involvment of the religious class would be linked to the state/Church relationship,
                          not only on quite-random factors.

OK, that's all for now. Back on the cultural model...

PS : one historical point : if we only consider the "citizens", the Ancient Greece was
                          a Democracy, not a Republic. Moreover, with a very rigorous definition, this is the
                          only ever democracy. All contemporary gov forms we use to call democracys are not
                          democracies, only different forms of representative governments.

Manu.

Comment

manurein wrote:

> Hi Hrafnkell.
                            >
                            > Glad to hear your support!
                            >
                            > I agree we should try to simplify the models as much as possible.
                            > I try thinking of something different from an MAS, but I can't get good stuff. My idea
                            > is that if we try to have only a global model for everything concerning the "social"
                            > model (everything modelling the people, including the cultural model), it would very
                            > complicated, very rigid and sensitive - or it would be too "stereotyped".... Maybe I'm
                            > wrong, I'm still thinking about that.
                            > The other way would then try to build an MAS simple and supple enough to fit our
                            > needs, both in terms of realism, smooth evolution and performance.

Manu: I think it cannot be helped that it will be stereotyped and of an Extreme
                            cartoonish variety. Again, I think the model you are trying to do is appropriate if the
                            game were to handle the Internal culture/politics of A Single Empire/Nation. IMO it is
                            Far too complicated for a game with the expansive nature beyond even that of Civ2.
                            Perhaps our Next game could be the game you're thinking of... I am Serious, it would be a
                            fun project, but it is not the one we are attacking at the moment. Even including
                            cultural effects At All is a Breakthrough for a civ-like game, leave us some room for
                            improvement later .

While we are brainstorming on this idea, I have a suggestion for a change. How about the
                            concept of doing a MAS model, but aggregated at the civ level instead of the province. We
                            could arbitrarily limit the number of agents Per Civ to something like 100. So there
                            would be something like 1 or 2 upper class agents, maybe 5 army... At least this would
                            limit us to 3000 agents or so in the game. (Probably still too many, but maybe doable.
                            At least this is contained enough to be worth talking about extensively IMO) Since there
                            will be about 85 worker/peasant agents you could split them out by ethnic group,
                            religion, etc. As economic takeoff takes place the very small middle class within the
                            workers would grow larger.

The only big loss here is in local effects, like that that minority x or religion y are
                            all concentrated in the same province. I think this problem could be solved by also
                            keeping track of the cultural distribution by square/province and patching things
                            together. By that I mean if minority x is pissed off then the threshold for them doing
                            something bad would depend on their concentration. The x people will only have the power
                            to rebel or whatever with a decent chance in places where they are a sizeable fraction of
                            the population.

Am I missing anything Big?

> I have a problem with agents based on classes only. It would be more difficult to
                            > treat real cultural problems, such as religious or nationalist, cause this would mean
                            > we would have to split the agents when such things occur. Moreover, I think managing
                            > the different cultures only through ratios in a given class would mean loss of
                            > suppleness and quite a sophisticated software mechanics to handle the ratios and
                            > effects. In fact, I think the whole behviour of the people should be embedded
                            > together, I mean not seperating the quite stricly political behaviour of a class
                            > (revolting or not) from the social and cultural facts. Through this, we could simulate
                            > revolts, strikes, religious/nationalist wars etc.. with some coherence - IMHO these
                            > facts are rarely disjoint...

Well, it needs to be majorly simplified or it won't work at all. You, as the creator get
                            the first chance to trim it down to size. But if it can't be Seriously reduced in
                            computational complexity I am virtually certain we won't be able to use it. There are
                            many players we will have who won't care one way or the other about this whole complicated
                            issue! It may be 70% of the potential players for all I know. I am interested, and you
                            two certainly are, but I'm just not sure who else is. So we need to keep perspective on
                            how much in the way of computational time we invest in this part of the game vs the
                            others. One other issue is AI. If the model can't be cartooned in some way, writing good
                            AI for the cultural part will be almost impossible. The model must be either 1)
                            reasonably easy to extrapolate into the future based on one long calculation, or 2) quick
                            to run in detail so the AI in doing what-ifs can examine several scenarios. Without one
                            of these two the AI problem is unsolvable with the resources we can devote to it.

> About your ideas :
                            >
                            > I think you have a good idea with the one/many-rulers model with factors. I think u
                            > have to precise some points :
                            > - how far will the player have control on the government shape, on moreover on the
                            > government changes : real government changes rarely occurded by the Will of the
                            > ruler...
                            > - how the control of the player will be implemented, I mean : will he namely choose
                            > such factor in such gov form, or will his discrete actions in a given gov. form set,
                            > unset or modify the attributes of the gov. (for exemple, in a Monarchy, he could
                            > namely hire a governor for a province, choosing him between a Noble or one of its
                            > administrators, such shaping wether a centralized or a feudal Monarchy type.)
                            > - Back to the particular case of gov. change. First : will there be a "Revolution"
                            > Button like in CivI/II or Ctp, or will the revolution be the result of the
                            > inadequation between the gov form and the social mood/aspirations at a given point? In
                            > this last case, will the ruler have direct choice for the succeding gov. form (this
                            > should be, assuming that as soon as the revolution has occured - and succeeded, the
                            > player takes the place of the winner and thus decides of the new gov. form). However,
                            > will there other prerequisites than tech for a given gov. to be available after a
                            > revolution, for exemple social prerequisites?
                            >
                            > - Concerning the Class support point, if we finally turn out to use agents, all this
                            > should be embedded in the agents. This way we could mix social/political/cultural
                            > behaviours. Maybe we could use a separate slider for the political involvment case - a
                            > good idea IMO - or just compute the stuff through other sliders. This way, fe, the
                            > involvment of the religious class would be linked to the state/Church relationship,
                            > not only on quite-random factors.
                            >
                            > OK, that's all for now. Back on the cultural model...
                            >
                            > PS : one historical point : if we only consider the "citizens", the Ancient Greece was
                            > a Democracy, not a Republic. Moreover, with a very rigorous definition, this is the
                            > only ever democracy. All contemporary gov forms we use to call democracys are not
                            > democracies, only different forms of representative governments.

Agreed, But a modern republic probably approximates the will-of-the-people about as well.
                            For one thing deliberative bodies make it much more difficult to do something that
                            represents the peoples will At That Instant, but which they will regret very soon after.
                            All IMO...

-Mark

Comment

>Keli:
                              >
                              >I'm only stating my opinions.

Oh, Now you tell me :-).

>I'd still like to hear what you think is so unworkable about the previous
                              system
                              >we had sketched out... I may have missed it in the 20+ emails a day I'm
                              getting
                              >on this both blessed and cursed (for my spare time project.
                              >

I don´t think anything´s unworkable, it was just a lousy writeup :-). Sorry
                              for the misunderstanding. I´ve always felt that the system we were making
                              was working OK, otherwise I´d letten you know earlier. I just thought
                              Manus system would in some cases be better, although much more cumbersome
                              of course.

The decision on whether Manus system is doable or not I´ll leave totally to
                              you programmers. Surprisingly, I´m not all that comfortable talking about
                              something I know next to nothing about :-).

[This is from the post you sent me today]

>
                              >While we are brainstorming on this idea, I have a suggestion for a change.
                              How about the
                              >concept of doing a MAS model, but aggregated at the civ level instead of
                              the province. We
                              >could arbitrarily limit the number of agents Per Civ to something like
                              100. So there
                              >would be something like 1 or 2 upper class agents, maybe 5 army... At
                              least this would
                              >limit us to 3000 agents or so in the game. (Probably still too many, but
                              maybe doable.
                              >At least this is contained enough to be worth talking about extensively
                              IMO) Since there
                              >will be about 85 worker/peasant agents you could split them out by ethnic
                              group,
                              >religion, etc. As economic takeoff takes place the very small middle
                              class within the
                              >workers would grow larger.
                              >
                              >The only big loss here is in local effects, like that that minority x or
                              religion y are
                              >all concentrated in the same province. I think this problem could be
                              solved by also
                              >keeping track of the cultural distribution by square/province and patching
                              things
                              >together. By that I mean if minority x is pissed off then the threshold
                              for them doing
                              >something bad would depend on their concentration. The x people will only
                              have the power
                              >to rebel or whatever with a decent chance in places where they are a
                              sizeable fraction of
                              >the population.
                              >
                              >Am I missing anything Big?
                              >

I´ve got couple of questions:

1) Could we skip using a MAS model for the computer controlled states and
                              use something simpler for it? If so this would require fewer agents in
                              total...

2) Is is neccesary to have equal number of population in each agent? As
                              Mark says above this would mean at least 85% of the agents would be
                              peasants/workers and less than 5% upper class. IMHO this could make
                              difficulties to represent the distribution of wealth and political power in
                              society.

Keli.

Comment

Working...
                              X