Web based game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web based game?

OK, I'm an artist, not a programmer, but I've been making games for 5 years so I'm not a complete idiot. I just recognize that I have alot to learn, always.

So: When we talk about a Java besed game, does this mean it's web based?

would it be possible to make Clash a webgame? I can see many advantages to this. Easy multiplayer, small download, simple upgrading, etc.

bear with my ignorance, since I stopped programming when RT1 died.

Hey Mog:

Short answer - Java-based can be either web based or not. Yes, it would be possible to make Clash a web game.

There's been quite a bit of discussion about this on the old BB. On the old AI/Coding BB at http://www.sitepowerup.com/mb/view.asp?BoardID=103693 look for the "Applet or Application" thread. There's some other background info there on similar issues too.
    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

The fact that all our development so far has been 'applets' means that it is currently web-based, so I hope it stays so!

I agree -- I don't see any benefit to not making this game in applet form. Single-players can just download the .class files and .html file, if they want to play it locally.

Comment

Hey, Everything You've Done so far has been Applets ;-)
        Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
        A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
        Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Ooops -- yeah, that's what I meant!

Comment

Some questions about this topic:
            If this game is in JAVA and needs an JDK or a browser to run in:
            - Is it interpreted code instead of compiled code? (performance!)
            - Has it access to graphics/sound subsystems on the local machine (DirectX f.e.)? Esp. Would it be possible to use 3D-acceleration?
            - Mark sent me the clash .class files a while ago but the JDK and JRE deny to function with them. Couldn't you make a HTML-file to give me (and others) a chance to see this working?

Peter

------------------
            3DTT - the 3D sequel to Transport Tycoon - demo 4.0 coming soon
            Path of Mankind. Turnbased Civ-like game - demo 15 coming soon
            3DTT - 3D Transport, Traffic and Economy simulation - Alpha 7.0 coming soon http://www.digitalprojects.com/way-x

Comment

Oh, and

* We have access to native methods via either JDirect (Microsoft windows specific) or JNI (pure Java).

* Java is compiled. The final interface will be a combination of HTML, JavaScript and compiled Java applet code.

* Either IE4 or Netscape 4 are necessary to run the applet. If/when we do an application version, it'll be in a windows .exe or a .bat file.

Comment

Peter:

Sound ability is limited, until we migrate to Java 1.2. Graphics are good already, and are greatly enhanced with 1.2.

Current development is in 'applet' form. The earliest working GUI pre-game interface is being developed at this site as a cooperative effort. The entire thing is 'open source', and collaborative. Please post any suggestions!

Next week, I'll migrate the old game code into the new GUI applet interface.

Comment

Working...
                X