Thread Jerkiness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread Jerkiness

If we're going to use threads for any heavy processing, I suggest that we look up as much data as possible on various VM performances - some older versions have terrible problems when it comes to synchronization etc....

I've attempted to get RTS-standard (around 20-25fps) animation using Java, with a program thread, a display thread, a background AI thread, a path-finding queue thread and node generator thread.

Using the range of thread priorities available with the standard JDK values, there was still noticable jerkiness (and I used as little synchronization as possible).

So, it seems are options are:

- try using native threads ???
    - become VM experts
    - avoid RTS
    - pray that JIT compilers will speed things up
    - spend 5 years in development, by which time 2000MHz computers will be around

Has anybody else tried running heavy-duty threads in the background?

Jim

OOOOps it looks like I pushed the wrong button - this is supposed to be under 'Threads in RT'

Jim

Comment

Hi, Jim:

Just saw this thread -- no pun intended.

The speed of java is increasing as we speak. By the end of the year, with 'HotSpot' and other things, it should surpass current code.

But even so, as long as we stick with 'slow' movement for units, I think we can handle it.

P.S. -- I asked this before, I'll ask it again: can't we use one thread for both unit movement and AI? I don't quite understand the architecture model ya'll are talking about for the AI. Why a seperate thread for something that only has to make choices once every cycle?

Comment

Working...
      X