'allo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'allo

My apologies if I'm posting a hello in the wrong place. But, hello! I'm a professional Java programmer who loves designing Swing interfaces who happened to stumble upon the Clash project. Clash encompasses a bunch of ideas I had actually been thinking on myself, so I thought I should try to lend a hand here.

Welcome to the project Tiefling!
    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

And if you really like doing interfaces, i've got an interface overhaul proposal (still haven't posted the whole thing yet) that you might be interested in implementing.

Comment

Hi and welcome. Be ready for alms' ideas, he'll be happy to have someone more receptive and skilled than I at doing user interface!
        Clash of Civilization team member
        (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
          Hi and welcome. Be ready for alms' ideas, he'll be happy to have someone more receptive and skilled than I at doing user interface!
          Well, only if he wants them, of course.

Comment

Sounds good to me! I was browsing the forum a bit, and not sure where to dive in.... is there a central "Items to be done" thread or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Tiefling
              Sounds good to me! I was browsing the forum a bit, and not sure where to dive in.... is there a central "Items to be done" thread or something?
              As far as I know, no, there isn't anything like that, though Mark may correct me. I'll start working on an interface overhaul document, but that could take several days, so my best suggestion would be to take a look at this thread and select a feature that you want to implement. Personally, I'd start with some small ones and do a few of those before committing to something large. That assumes Mark has sent you the latest code via email, if not, email him about it. I'm sure he's got other things to say about it as well.

Comment

You may also want to look at this thread: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=149454
                It's not big and there are quite a few poiners about things to do inside.
                Among the big things to do, there are the economic user interface, which must be discussed in some threads herein, and the general painting of the main window, which may be slow according to tests alms66 did on big maps. A good design for the encyclopedia/help could be useful too, as it's currently just an embryo of a civilopedia, but it requires some hyperlinking and an underneaath dictionary to do a nice jobe.
                There's also the option of replacing the borders wich are currently lines drawn in swing by an overlay image (I still have some tiles alms drew somewhere on my disk - I only changed the selection cursor). This one should be relatively easy but I've never found the strength to map the various tiles to each corner type.
                Clash of Civilization team member
                (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
                  Among the big things to do, there are the economic user interface, which must be discussed in some threads herein, and the general painting of the main window, which may be slow according to tests alms66 did on big maps. A good design for the encyclopedia/help could be useful too, as it's currently just an embryo of a civilopedia, but it requires some hyperlinking and an underneaath dictionary to do a nice jobe.
                  Well, the reason I didn't suggest that was the interface overhaul doc was going to cover much of the econ and main map issues. The Encyclopedia/Help interface would be a good "big item" to start on if you're willing to wait for the overhaul doc.

Comment

I've got nothing particular to add beyond what alms and Laurent said. There is a "big directions" thread back there a ways, but like alms said, best to do a few small things first to familiarize yourself with the code before jumping into something really big. Once you get to the "something big" stage, we'll be very happy to give you feedback on priorities, alternatives, etc. But the most important thing is to do something that you like and will get gratification from. That way you'll avoid burn-out.
                    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
                    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
                    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Working...
                    X