This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice Christmas present

Unfortunately I'm very busy and it may be a while before I get around to playing it
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Thanks CapTVK and Locutus. Looking forward to hearing your comments!

Happy New Year!

-Mark
      Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
      A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
      Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

I have added Alms' requests from above to the Feature list. (and updated a few bugs too) Does anyone have comments on on Alms' suggestions or my rankings? If so, please speak up.
        A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).

Comment

Mark,
          A few comments on your comments:
          F196 is done for techs, not for specials, unless I’m mistaken.
          F197 Scenario Designers will want this, I’m certain. It would be an independent multiplier from tech. This way you don't have to mess with the tech model to increase population growth if you don't want to.
          F200 You can delete it.
          F202 You can delete it.
          F205 I’d delete it, except keep the next capitol button part, as that would be useful on large maps later.

Comment

dpownlaoded and played today, liked the concept a lot , however the game play is pretty loasy at moment. having to click on all those buttons to do things is rather a bit mundane. Cant we just right click on the unit on the main map to perform the actions then move it with the moouse. rather than using the separate units window.

Ease of play increases the fun and that is really missing at present IMHO.
            GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin
              Cant we just right click on the unit on the main map to perform the actions then move it with the moouse. rather than using the separate units window.

Ease of play increases the fun and that is really missing at present IMHO.
              That's what I keep saying!

Comment

Thanks for the comments Rasputin. Feedback like that from outside the group is valuable in helping us to determine what is most important to do next.

So Alms, be honest did you bring him in just to say that?

Cya,

Mark

Comment

I'll never tell.

1. perturn event
                  If we don't have one already (and I didn't see one), we could add a perturn event which forces some action to occur every turn, rather than on a single turn.

2. Raid Order
                  See:

3. Outposts/Vision Radius
                  See:

4. Settlers/Explorers
                  See:

5. Changing Terrain Images
                  See:

6. Next Field TF & Next Home TF
                  Add these two buttons:
                  Next Field TF: Selects next TF not on owned land
                  Next Home TF: Selects next TF on owned land
                  And let's bump these up in priority, eh?

*Watch this post for future edits.
                  Last edited by alms66; January 14, 2005, 19:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_Everson
                    Thanks for the comments Rasputin. Feedback like that from outside the group is valuable in helping us to determine what is most important to do next.

So Alms, be honest did you bring him in just to say that?

Cya,

Mark
                    I didnt even realise all the comments here were from within the group. I just followed the links from Marks name and thought mmmm this game sounds interesting.

I loaded it at work and myself and another work pal played a few turns but found it tedious to get into (yes i know it a demo) the many buttons across the top filled my screen and having to click END Turn repetively was time wasting as was the fact of having the UNIT Window to move the Unit.

Good job guys, hope you get some easier interface over time.

I will pop in from time to time to check.

Comment

I didnt even realise all the comments here were from within the group. I just followed the links from Marks name and thought mmmm this game sounds interesting.
                      Most of them are, some aren't. I think I've taken the lead in the highest number of comments.
                      I loaded it at work and myself and another work pal played a few turns but found it tedious to get into (yes i know it a demo) the many buttons across the top filled my screen and having to click END Turn repetively was time wasting as was the fact of having the UNIT Window to move the Unit.
                      Ah, playing games at work...you gotta love that.
                      Being able to use keyboard shortcuts would be a great thing to add. I also think bringing back the 2Turns, 5Turns, 10Turns, etc. button, but allowing the player to set an arbitrary number of turns would ease those long stretches where there's not much to do but hit End Turn. (It would be a great aid to testing for sure)
                      I also dislike that unit window and would like a seperate 'Army Manager' screen for splitting/merging TFs. Orders to units could then be given from the toolbar and/or from the right-click menu on the main map, which is my preferred choice. There's a comment of mine somewhere in the feature request list about getting rid of the Units window.
                      Last edited by alms66; January 2, 2005, 19:43.

Comment

said i like the sound of this game, but at present appears too many windows need to be kept open , which for a game in which you state you want limited micromanagment it has a lot of managment requirements. far more than any of the "civ" games.

Comment

F184 (Alms) Graphics Terrain Transitions.
                          [no clue as to importance, others?]
                          F187 I’d (Alms) like Larger Tile Support:
                          http://apolyton.net/forums/showthre...459#post3483459
                          I'd rate these of relatively high importance. The larger tile support is essential to drawing proper mountains, hills, trees and other 'elevated' tiles while the transitions would improve the look of the tiles by making them less blocky, and in general, make the game a little more sexy. Its also a generally accepted fact that sexier things get more attention.
                          Seriously though, the larger tile thing is a very easy fix and transitions, while the hardest of the three big graphics requests by me, is very important to making the map look as good as possible, though I think we can live with the blockiness for another demo or two.
                          F185 a. (Mark) Should have an indicator on the map that shows where provincial and civ capitals are. Maybe a star in the civ color, or a flag or something. Also put in a target flag in the AI so that provincial capitals can be targeted specifically. [medium, D8.1]
                          b. (Alms) And/or we could add a “Next Capitol” button to the interface, which centers the view on the next capitol in the list. [low D8.5]
                          Maybe we should add the capitol's name to the map as well? In a similar manner to Civ. We could also add population like in Civ.

Comment

have you guys considered using hexes instead of squares? usually makes for easier movement .

Comment

Originally posted by alms66
                              I'd rate these of relatively high importance.
                              (snip)
                              though I think we can live with the blockiness for another demo or two.
                              IMO it should wait maybe a few demos as you say. BTW I was looking for input from Others on the importance of those features. ;-)

Hey Rasputin. Hexes are harder to draw, and we account for the movement asymmetry between directions since movement costs 1.4x as much along diagonals. The long term plan is to go to a continuous coordinate system.

Comment

oh ok, glad you have thought about it .

Comment

Working...
                                X