X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-evo, the end of ICS

I discovered this game at

c-evo.org

It provides a civ2-like experience with a few twists, and is pretty fun.
    PLUS, like the title says, it gets rid of ICS in the most obvious way, by making the city square no longer free. A seetler costs 2 pop, and starts a city with 2 pop - one of which works the city square!

That's right, you still have to feed your city square workers, you have to worry about keeping them happy, and they're not for free.

the rules about food production have been tweaked a bit to allow for growth, like food prod over 3 in a tile gets reduced by 1 under despotism, instead of over 2. other resources under desp get reduced over 2.

I hope this is the right forum, I don't know where else to put it....
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

It looks cool. I just couldn't find the way to update my units. I understand it's not automatic, but I couldn't build anything except militia and settlers.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

As per the manual, most units are not pre-designed. To build most units you must first research "Military Research" then you can go to a screen where you can design your units.

Comment

/me summons St.Leo.

He's the right person to talk about it.
        "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

I haven't played the recent version much, though I've received requests to update the tribes that I designed for the 0.6.x release series.

Of course, if I felt like playing a normal civ game, I'd be playing cEvo. The fact that standard cEvo is superior to standard Civ2 is very obvious.

I am perfectly willing to answer any questions that you might have.
          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

There's a game that's superior to Civ2???
            There's a Civ game that's superior to Civ2???

This I have to play. Someone give me a link - quick

-Jam
            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Here you go:

C-evo is a freeware empire building game for Windows

Have fun!

Comment

I just finished one of my first games, and I'm thinking of trying it again, and maybe formulating a "three city challenge. a standard OCC is impossible, since you need a city with each of the three rare resources. perhaps you can build your first city somewhere, and when you find sites with the resources, you can build cities where they exist and disband your first city if it's not on one.

I learned pretty quick that using caravans in the old fashion is difficult since it takes 2 shields to support a caravan. Hence the Statue of Liberty (no support for units unmoving in cities) is essential. The Eiffel Tower ( no expiration on wonders) is invaluable for wonder building civs also.

I did have one thing I don't understand. I am a bit put off by having to research units as if they were techs, so I do it not often. somewhere I made a unit for defense and later on discovered a message saying "this unit may only travel on roads and railroads". I don't remember putting that into the design, and that wasn't part of an earlier units restrictions. I don't know what happened.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...

Comment

somewhere I made a unit for defense and later on discovered a message saying "this unit may only travel on roads and railroads".

That's what "heavyweight" means in unit design.
                  Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                    somewhere I made a unit for defense and later on discovered a message saying "this unit may only travel on roads and railroads".

That's what "heavyweight" means in unit design.
                    I didn't think I had made it heavyweight when I designed it. I'll have to go back and check...

Comment

hmm, this looks VERY promising! And it even fits a single 1.44 disc!!

Comment

OK, I can't go back and check because I started that map over and erased the previous game.

I'm having trouble hunting down another bug. it seems like one of my mines up and disappeared on me, I'll have to go through turn by turn and see if I can see it happen.

but problems aside, this piece of Freeware may be the best version of civ yet made. I just had a game where I built lots of armies of slaves to improve the terrain (AOS's are kind of the workers of civ-evo. still take 2 pop and just as many shields to build, but can't found cities and doesn't take food to support). I had to build the pyramids to get them, and was worried when industialization was coming up, which would obsolete the pyramids and free all my slaves. I used a bunch of freight to rush build the eiffel tower (no obsolescence), and spent some money to finish building it the same turn I discovered industialization. Whew!

Freight are difficult to stockpile, as the require 2 shields support each, but I got around that by building the Statue of Liberty, which makes unmoved units in cities require no support. the I could stockpile them to my heart's content. money in the bank.

I wonder If somebody can make an effective 3 city strategy for this game. would be impressive.

Comment

C-evo is the best non-sid-civ civ game I tried.
                          The Chuck Norris military unit was not used in the game Civilization 4, because a single Chuck Norris could defeat the entire combined nations of the world in one turn.
                          - Chuck Norris Facts

Comment

I mean C-evo is the best non-commorcal civ game I tried, CtP1 is the best non-sid civ-game
                            Last edited by Pave; June 13, 2003, 06:09.
                            The Chuck Norris military unit was not used in the game Civilization 4, because a single Chuck Norris could defeat the entire combined nations of the world in one turn.
                            - Chuck Norris Facts

Comment

I'm not a big fan of the 'forum' on the C-Evo site. Anywhere else have a better forum?

Comment

Working...
                              X