Yet another alternate civ game: Catapult

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another alternate civ game: Catapult

Just a note of intent... Not even an alpha yet, but a plan and tools are in place.

A synopsis is here.

It will be based on directX (7 but forwards compatible,) so graphic compatibility (and performance) with every windows platform.

Its essentially going to be a modders paradise and/or panacea.

Its not planned on being commercial as of yet, but if it looks commercial viable, that may be an option.

There is only a small team at this point, but as the framework develops, I'll look to bulk out the team.

I'm open to comments, and ideas as of now, however.

MrBaggins

Good luck with the project.

Comment

Good Luck! Its certainly an engaging idea.

It looks like the complexity in coding what you are looking for will be about 3-5x that of a straight civ clone. That needs to be considered when you think about whether you can really do this. How many programmers do you have?. . .

I'm hoping you'll reconsider and join forces with another project per my comments in Starting a New Project vs. Joining an Existing One. I think your idea might be compatible with several projects already existing.

If not, best 'o' luck!
      Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
      A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
      Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

When the graphic engine, the UI and the parser is done, then the "entry level" for coders is a bit lower, since they'll be working in a parsed 'semi-RAD' environment.

At the point when you have a usuable parser and UI, the development can be split into 2:

Shell programmers.
        Game Developers.

The game developers can set about developing a playable civ, and my concept of this is an amalgam of cherry picked "best of breed" ideas.

I've been coding a mod in CtP2, and actually realized that I was doing a rewrite of the engine, in SLIC2, and that it was probably a better idea to go with a less limiting, buggy and entirely more friendly environment.

Since the project *just* started yesterday, officially so only 2 team members as of yet.

I'm unconcerned about project pace: Activision isn't likely to develop a CtP3, and Firaxis isn't likely to build a completely customizable 'Civ' with a parsed language.

Its a labor of love to me, and anyone who wishes to step on board, can.

I'd like to start a forum on ideas on multi layer map handling... to get ideas on way that people would like it to work, and look.

MrBaggins

Comment

In terms of the joining an existing project vs. starting a new one.

My concept involves changes at the meta level of design... that basically toss out whatever coding has been done... to make it happen. I believe this would be a hinderance to any of the existing projects.

I'm using existing frameworks, so, much of the grunt work has already been done.

I don't expect a very rapid playable demo (except for maybe displaying the maps,) since the very nature of the project requires a pretty complete shell before game development can begin.

MrBaggins

Comment

Well then, welcome to our humble group of misfits!

I'll check it out when you've got something playable.
            Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
            A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
            Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

*Bump*

I wonder how this project is doing?

Comment

I was helping MrBaggins with the graphics for the game. Even did some screen drafts for the main screen, diplomatic screen and city screen (which was highly discussed).
                While he showed me some work he did with directX for the game.
                He stopped posting here in apolyton but we kept in touch through PM and a yahoo cigroup. He was being more and more absent claiming RL keeping busy until he finally disapeared without further noticing.
                "Kill a man and you are a murder.
                Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
                Kill all and you are a God!"
                -Jean Rostand

Comment

Working...
                X