Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternate Civilization Game for Macintosh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate Civilization Game for Macintosh?

Anyone know any Civ-type games out there for Mac. I don't care if they are primative or have bad graphics, I am just curious if anyone made any attempts to create a similar game. Any input would be appreciated (especially where I could download these types of games)!

- Narz
    Shop Amazon thru my Searchbox, thanks! Narz's Chess Page

As far as I know, there are none
    Attached Files
    No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Clash runs under OS-X. However, it does have a few problems. You can read more about some of the problems that have been encountered here and near the end of the Demo 7 thread.
      Andy Black

Comment

Well, I can't even suggest Stella Polaris as a future "alternative" Mac game as it looks like there's not going to be any Mac port for it.

SourceForge only recognises NetHack as TBS game project for MacOS that has released something. There's a Civ II clone project called eXodus, but it looks like they haven't managed to kick off or then they're lurking elsewhere.
        eXodus is an open source web-based Civilization 2 clone, based in the Star Wars universe. Engineered by the K-Development Group, eXodus is being programmed in PHP & Perl and is being aimed to be compatible with all the popular internet browsers.
        "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Originally posted by MacHatter
          Clash runs under OS-X. However, it does have a few problems. You can read more about some of the problems that have been encountered here and near the end of the Demo 7 thread.
          We're working on the mac-specific issues. Hopefully we'll have a solution reasonably soon. If there are any people 'round these parts that are fairly experienced java jocks on the mac, we'd like to get your help short-term in figuring out a fix!
          Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
          A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
          Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Kings and Knights might get a Mac version next year becourse the language in which it is being developed in will get 2 more compilers. These being for Linux and Mac. It could take a while though, at least 6 months or more but this can only mean the game will be more developed or even finished (not likely though).

I have no Mac so I would not be able to compile a mac version but I could find somebody that could compile it. I am sure when it is possible it will happen.

So, Mac and Linux users be ware

Comment

Hi All:

Just to clarify the Clash / Mac situation. . .

If you run OSX then the current Clash demo (Demo 7) will run just fine on your Mac. Just follow the d/l instructions, then see Running Clash on Macintosh for how to do it. Essentially the crucial info is in the third post which says "All mac users need to do is disregard the batch file and double click on the jar file."

For OS 9 and below there is no known way to run Clash. From the thread link above:

I have checked the possibility to compile and run clash on Mac under MacOS9.

It does not work for the obvious reason that clash uses Java 2 Standard Edition classes. Some classes such as HashMap exist only in this new version of java.

The latest MRJ for OS9 (Mac Runtime for Java) is MRJ2.5.5 and is based on JDK 1.1.8 (an older version of java).
              If a fix becomes available for OS9- I'll post here as soon as it becomes available. It is very unfortunate that there is no OS9 version of Java 2 available, and we didn't forsee that issue when migrating the project to Java 2.

The Clash of Civilizations project is dedicated to Mac support (OSX+).
              Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
              A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
              Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Freeciv is also available for Mac OSX

Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Working...
                X