Clash of Civilizations Demo 6 is Out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clash of Civilizations Demo 6 is Out!

Clash Demo 6 is now ready for your download and coments. I'd really like to get comments from as many of the regulars here as possible, so we can get a good idea of what is right and what may be wrong with our current models and implementation.

Here is a link to the Demo 6 Comments/Download thread at our forum.

Let us know what you think!

Demo 6 (which used to be called Demo 5.1) includes:

1. Roads Implemented. To build them player draws an outline on the map. Once enough economic resources are allocated, they are built.

2. Merchants (at least an alpha version)
    The specials I have in so far (to give merchants something to trade):
    Gold -> Services ; Tin -> Resources ; Cloth -> Manufactured Goods ; Salt -> Food

3. Army Support: Army build removes population and supplies come from your civ or the army will suffer the concequences. The Hun scenario uses exhaustion of stockpiled supplies as a ticking clock that the Attila player needs to beat or suffer destruction!

4. New info screen we call Events that shows the big things that happened in the turn with links to more detailed info if the player desires.

5. 800x600 res support

6. Fog of war and hidden terrain. (AI will still know whole map for now, since it would be too time-consuming at this stage IMO to have AI able to deal with uncertainty.)
    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

These demos are like British buses...you spend ages waiting for one and then they all come at once!

I'll try it out tonight...
    Visit http://www.civgaming.net/

Comment

Hi Chris:

Yeah, well its either feast or famine! Please do give it a look when you get a chance, because its been out 36 hours or so, and I havent gotten any comments yet .

Cya,

Mark
      A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_Everson
        Yeah, well its either feast or famine! Please do give it a look when you get a chance, because its been out 36 hours or so, and I havent gotten any comments yet .
        i have a similar feeling
        Project Leader of Civiliza, an Alternative Civilization game based on Civ 2.

Comment

I tried it but it didn't work - I can't remember exactly why, I'll post when I get home tonight...

Comment

same for me, no luck here. i'm pretty sure i set everything up right... and the dos window closes before i can see what it says

Comment

The batch file doesn't work for me - when I run the Java program I go through the menu, select my Civ and then it exits...

Comment

Many very bad words! Sorry for the problems. The Exact same procedure worked for D5, so I am mystified... But we'll figure it out.

Ok, step one. I'm going to copy over your comments to the main comments thread on the Clash forum. From now on can you put any bugs/issues there? That way the people who are more experienced than I with Java deployment will see it, and help with the fix.

First of all, thanks for trying! I will make some quick attempts here to help / diagnose. Please respond in the D6 comments thread.

From other thread (just in case):
                Just to be sure, did you download the java package in step 1? The one that worked for Demo 4 Will Not work with this release. Only if you ran D5 can you skip step 1.

I've done some followup testing on my wife's computer. The only java-related stuff on her machine is JRE v 1.3.1_01. When I place ClashD6.jar on the desktop it runs fine. So I'm hoping you just didn't do step 1. If you did, what OS do you use? If its an old one the JRE v 1.3.1_01 might not be supported completely. I think it might not work right on Win95 for example. Just let me know what the situation is...
                dexter4dxm:
                There must be a default setting on your machine to auto-close dos windows once the program is complete (in this case after it bombs ). I think you can change that setting by calling up a dos window, hitting the propreties button, then on the program tab uncheck "close on exit". It should save that setting. If that doesnt at least let you see the error message try this:

1. open a dos window by hand
                2. type c:
                3. type cd \ClashDemo
                (dir should now be c:\ClashDemo
                3. type: java -jar CLASHD6.jar

At least then the dos window will give you the error message and we can see what's going on.

Chris:
                "The batch file doesn't work for me"
                What does the output say when it doesnt work? If the dos window doesn't stick around, do what I asked Dexter.

"when I run the Java program I go through the menu, select my Civ and then it exits..."
                Now that is Really odd. If we left a file out of the Jar file it would explain that, but as I said in the quote above, I put it on my wife's comp, which has Nothing clash or java-related except the D5 download, in a separate jar file, and it worked fine.

Anybody have an idea on this???

Thanks guys, I hope you can stick with this for a few more short rounds of Q&A!

-Mark

Comment

well, i'm using windows xp. does dos mode even exist in xp? if it does i cant find it. and when i check the properties of the batch file it doesn't let me change any window settings.

Comment

Sorry, I don't know anything about XP...

Could you copy your post over into the tread linked to above? And from now on can you put any bugs/issues there? That way the people who are more experienced than I with Java deployment will see it, and help with the fix.

Thanks,

Mark

Comment

Working...
                    X