Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cEvo..lution is, right now... way ahead!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cEvo..lution is, right now... way ahead!

Listen up...
    Looking for an extraordinary achievement?
    Civ3 has got your Ram spinning out of wack?
    Bored by the same Space race again and again?

Then get this jewel into making!
    Hurry, cause you might be missing on something so revolutionary...
    it is mind boggling.

I've played a lot of true "STRATEGY" games, believe me, >cEvo< will bring every single one of them to their knees begging for mercy.

AT >> c-evo.org <<

Wake-up... everyone!
    TBS is changing by the minute.

Hi zyxpsilon:

I check in on c-evo every once in a while. I will happily play it when the AI clearly exceeds the (abyssmal) level of the civ2 ai. My impression was that the milestone hasn't been achieved yet. Is it there yet?

I wish the project the best of luck!
    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Civ-evo is good and shows a lot of promise but is still a little too rough around the edges for me.

I would love to code some parts of it but I've looked at the code and it's Pascal (yuk) and horribly messy too

I tried looking at the C AI interface but couldn't make much sense of it at a glance. I may go back and persevere with it a bit more later on.

c-evo looks reasonably well polished but is kind of lacking in some concepts (e.g. Wonders/Diplomacy/Trade/Winning etc.). Seems to me as though Steffen kind of started working on it not sure of where he was going and has just ended up building an engine, and is looking for concepts to bolt onto it. Also, Steffen has his own ideas of where he wants the game to go (e.g. no PW, unit workshop) etc. which I personally do not like, but it is his baby, so he is entitled to do what he wants with it, of course.

Nonetheless, it is a very good acheivement and is certainly worth anyone's attention

I've followed it for some time now (12 months+), and the biggest downer is that I can't see that much real progress has been made on it in that time, which is a shame. Sure, there are more people posting on the site etc. but in terms of how the game itself has come alive, it's still quite a way off being a "finished" game IMHO. It's got guts... just not all of them, yet.

I'd certainly rate it over FreeCiv though and IMHO it probably qualifies as "the best" non-commerical Civ clone to date.

Keep up the good work Steffen & co!

And also Mark and anyone else working on civ-a-likes!

Comment

External-AI's

Originally posted by Mark_Everson
        AI... Is it there yet?
        That's the point altogether, AI's of this particular Civ2&3 clone are far too important in quality and in design to be left unnoticed. The approach has a definite advantage over "others" out there; coders get to create the challenge, thus improving by zillions of factors what we are using!!
        It is in the early stages of implementation, ("diplomacy" is absolutely amazing) and will further get way better... IF true strategy weirdoes come in and support the thing.
        And lately, there's been too much action around it to stay unaware of the tremendous opportunities.
        Highly participative, reinventing the genre, new rules, complying with "The LIST" and Open-Source status makes the edge. Units so diverse in both strengths & capacities that it boggles the mind just to think about how >expandable< the concept could progress.
        Oh... it IS there yet allright; so much in fact that CIV3 is >>behind<< in the race.

Rid102...

Steffen's has made a few key changes in it, lately that caught a lot of my attention. C++ or Delphi or Pascal (Looks all the same to me, what's important is the content, the juice and the "structure" itself).

Space race is scheduled for v0.8.0 (Preview is up for D/L), Diplomacy beats the hell out of symetry. Trade is under a complete overall with newly definded concepts, as we speak, by a few coders. All "they" need is support from a wider user-base.
        Nonetheless, & all factors considered... it is slowly (This game does NOT have a static inhouse/team like the big guns "Firaxis, Activision &alumnis") progressing like the famous lil'turtle against the rabbit of Jean deLafontaine.

Watch the train, or Jump in before it zooms by you.

Besides... IT will ( should i say, almost IS) crush -strategy- patterns in its path. Humans do AI's, the only solution worth a nickel to the penny ala'Civ2 uncompetitive burned-into-the-code sequential loop of instructions.

I've got nothing against other alternatives (Clash, etc.), everyone has its own weakenesses and power elements. What sets "cEvo" apart is mentionned on their site and in the above paragraph to Mark. Get it. Play it. Take it. Improve it. Grow it to its full potential and you'll have a diamond/of/a/game on your hard-drive.

Last edited by zyxpsilon; December 20, 2001, 20:34.

Comment

civ evo rulez!
          its dplomacy kicks a$$
          i needs civ3 like resorses and its beat civ3!
          hope it progresses well.
          Just my 2p.
          Which is more than a 2 cents, about one cent more.
          Which shows you learn something every day.
          formerlyanon@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by tishco
            needs civ3 like resorses

Here's someone^^^ who really understood what real "TBS" strategy means.

And the version hasn't reach 1.0; without all the 3D animations, the advisors, the great leaders, the 500 MBs, the Commerce & the resources of CIV-III without Sci-Fi.
            They won't plagiarize it, no... dare like everyone else defying copyright legal pursuits. Go ahead Firaxis, sue me, them & Microprose, Activision, Microsoft and whoever else that stands in the way to the freedom of consumers.
            Bring your fans to the highest courts of any country.
            I paid Brian Reynold's design upfront, stashing plenty of cash to own a CD and a printed manual. Then what's in is mine to do as i please.

"cEvo" has enough of a T-R-U-E managable units-workshop, an amazing concept about Nationals, >external< AI's and Research... that breaks apart madness paths from simulated history.
            They lead the pack.
            You'd be the judge.
            You don't play cEvo, cEvo plays you.
            Prove me wrong... even with their rare, special & extra resources.

Comment

cEvo is good, but AI is very weak and protocol for AI development commented so, that it's hardly understandable.
              money sqrt evil;
              My literacy level are appalling.

Comment

I looked at it long ago, but Rock-Scissors-Paper style combat is boring to me.
                (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

hmm i have yet to try c-evo, can you explain what you mean Straybow?

also, i noticed c-evo is still being updated after all this time; however, about once a month there is an small update which usually only contains a few bug fixes.

this thread is ages old and so is the game. it doesn't show any sign on significantly moving forward, so why are you guys being so active about it?

Comment

It's very nice game, the quality is in the same level with Civ3 except AIs.
                    money sqrt evil;
                    My literacy level are appalling.

Comment

Although I'm more a Freeciv fan I drop by from time at the Cevo site. Played it myself a few times. Currently the game is set more for being an AI testing ground than for normal human interaction. It does introduce some fresh gaming concepts and has a decent interface, which i like.

However, it isn't up to scratch if you compare it with Freeciv.
                      Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

"full determinism after the game has begun"

Neonext: can you explain what you mean Straybow?

C-Evo does not resolve combat probabilistically, but deterministically: Stronger unit wins. There may be some nuances to that (maybe winner takes damage and thus becomes weaker), but not much. Here's a quote from the site:
                        Comment: The game should not be deterministic. It's boring if I always know the result of an action before. Also, there should be random events like famine, plague etc.

Answer: Only determinism allows to think ahead, and this is the basic idea of a strategy game. Yes, the game is boring. But the reason for that is the missing challenge due to the poor artifical intelligence. If AI plays good enough, you will lose your game. If a game you lose is boring for you, you are probably not a strategist. To compensate missing challenge with amusing, unexpected happenings is the idea of a simulation (or of a film).

I think Mr. Gerlach is a bit screwy in the head. It isn't that "a game you lose" might be boring (having lost many games of civ over the years). "No plan of battle survives contact with the enemy" is one aspect of realism that I find necessary, otherwise I'd play chess.
                        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Steffen has stated that he wants to make a game and not a simulation; therefore, he is abstaining from including the unforeseeable. That's fine by me; in it's current state, the game is great and it allows me to play as the pacifistic isolationist that I want to play as.
                          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

It is a nice game indeed, though I find it too much civ2-like and the AI is pitiful. It is sad, as with a good AI this would be a very good game.
                            The lack of randomness in fights is not a catatrophe to me, but the lack of randomness in special patterns is. The game has very good UI in general but would need tweaking: allowing help messages when a new item is to be built, no queueing orders, disallowing settlement where your city will die immediately, stacked combat...
                            It has a one-more--turn syndrome though, so that is quite good.
                            I don't think the AI model used will work, because to develop a full DLL with all AI aspects in it is something very few people will do, and that will probably not give a worthy AI in the long run.
                            Clash of Civilization team member
                            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Actually, it has queueing of orders.

Macro Management > City Types

It also has queueing of techs.

Options > [ ] Integrated Research Goal

Have you tried 3rd party AI modules like SBAI?
                              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X