Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternative Civs section open for business...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Civs section open for business...

Well they finally fixed my account and I can get back to work... I updated some of the pages in the Alternative Civs section, please let me know (post it here) of any 'bugs', 'wrong info', browser problems, kinda things...
    (I'm using Dreamweaver3, IE 5.5, and I'm working in 1600x1200x32 on a T1, so I guess i'm not exectly mainstream with that stuff...)
    thanks,
    cheers,
    onePaul.

------------------
    only human...sigh

Hi Paul,

Glad to hear your account is working again. Let me make my recommendations of change for the record. I'll take 'em one at a time, although mostly they'll be about the MD section, since I know more about that one than any of the others

Ancient Prophecy
    I've said this before, and I'll say it again. This section ought to be completely removed. Ancient Prophecy is dead, so take it out already! It has been dead for at least a year. During the last year, the site was a web site hosting service, with no mention at all about AP. Recently even that is gone (it is now a dead link). There is no point in keeping it anymore, unless you know something I don't.

Manifest Destiny
    Ah, my favorite section Thanks for updating the screen shot, BTW. I would make one request, and I would request this be a priority. You have a mirror download of our 0.3.6 version. Either update to the current version (0.3.7) or just provide a link to our download page. In any case, please remove the old version download ASAP. You are actually harming us rather than helping us by keeping the old version up, because if anyone downloads 0.3.6 from Apolyton, they will get a very outdated and incomplete version, and a very wrong idea of the game. I think it is not really necessary to mirror our download, a link to our download page would be sufficient, and would always be up to date. Up to you, though.

FreeCiv
    Well, I don't have anything to say about this section. It seems up to date to me, and well laid out

Slick 6
    What to say about this one? If you're going to keep it on the page, you should probably provide some kind of link at a minimum, although probably not much more than that is needed (it's at http://www.rjcyberware.com/.6/ ).

Just for the record, because this comes up every time I say anything about Slick-6, I am in no way associated with S-6, excepting that my company's site hosts their site, and I am friends with the lead programmer of the project. Other than that, I have no knowledge of the game, so please don't ask me about it Ask Jason.

Great Nations
    Seems up to date to me, although a bit more info might be nice to have. The link to the home page might be sufficient for that, though. Your call.

new candidates
    With the loss of AP, I suggest we look at new projects which could be added to the page. OpenCiv3 is certainly a candidate ( http://civ3.sourceforge.net/index.htm ). Another might be Path of Mankind ( http://www.digitalprojects.com/way-x/ ) although last I heard, this one is on hold for now (a sure sign that it is approaching vapor-ware), so you may want to contact the author before including it to make sure it is still a viable project. Finally, I might also suggest Clash of Civilizations. Since the latter is a hosted member of Apolyton-Civ, perhaps it would be redundant to also put it into the Alt-Civ section, so again, that's y'all's call.

Okay, those are my suggestions, take 'em as such (except for the removal of our old download version, which is most certainly not a suggestion, but a requirement). Hope it is of some help.

Ron
    Manifest Destiny - The Race For World Domination
    -Playable Alpha now available!
    http://www.rjcyberware.com

Comment

damn, I knew I forgot something... anywho, I just uploded the new version of your baby and updated the link on our page...

Ap is dead? Well I guess I'll take it down soon, I'll try finding out what is going on first...

Slick 6? Hey Ron, what is going on with Slick-6, huh ?

I've been following OpenCiv3 as well, they just started I guess, but If they wanna web site about their baby, they know where to find me and I'll be more than glad to make one...

------------------
      only human...sigh

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by onepaul on 09-17-2000 11:37 PM
        damn, I knew I forgot something... anywho, I just uploded the new version of your baby and updated the link on our page...

Wow, that was quick. Thanks, Paul, I feel better now.

quote:

Ap is dead? Well I guess I'll take it down soon, I'll try finding out what is going on first...

fair enough

quote:

Slick 6? Hey Ron, what is going on with Slick-6, huh ?

Groan.....
        [This message has been edited by RonHiler (edited September 18, 2000).]
        Manifest Destiny - The Race For World Domination
        -Playable Alpha now available!
        http://www.rjcyberware.com

Comment

[This message has been edited by onepaul (edited November 14, 2000).]

Comment

Double post...
            [This message has been edited by Jason Kozak (edited September 21, 2000).]
            Jason Kozak
            Slick-6 Project Lead

Comment

Yep, but nothing anyone wants to hear really

It's still in development, but being in my last year of high-school has made my grades more important than ever, so I can't afford to devote a lot of time to Slick-6. Not as much as I used to anyway.

Actually, even if I could I'd still be hopelessly behind my original expectations. I seem to have been suffering from a case programmis perfectionis for a while. Symptoms include a strong desire to improve the quality, features, and flexibility of the code, without bothering to make sure you're getting anywhere.

On the other hand, I think I'm just about over it now, and its left me with a better engine, and the extra time has improved the game design as well.

I hope to be in some kind of beta within a year. Most likely a closed beta, but still a beta.

In the meantime, feel free to ask any questions about the project, from the engine that better be worth the wait, to the game design, or anything else you can think of. I'd be happy to answer.

Jason Kozak
              Slick-6 Project Lead
              Jason Kozak
              Slick-6 Project Lead

Comment

Hi, I'm one of the web designers for OpenCiv3. As you may don't know, OpenCiv3's name is recently changed to Guns, Germs and Steel: Tools of Conquest. We all would be very happy if we could have our own message board.

We are certainly not dead. Currently we are working on muliple designs for the game, we already have some programmers, artists, etc. and 2 webdeasigners. Currently working on a new website too (see this at http://www.pekok.demon.nl/ggs/) and it's just 1 thing that shows we are not standing still.

ElmoTheElk

Comment

I agree with Elmo, it would be truly great to have our own message board. We are virtually the only ones present at this one anyway, so it wouldn't mean anything but to cange the name of this one to GGS and make a new message board called Alternative Civs.

I know that we have been rather unproductive the past few weeks (except for Elmo and Heardie, our webmasters). Personally I have been totally unable to post here for 3 weeks now. Glad that has changed.

I think everybody on the team has been quite buissy lately, which has caused the halt. But my schedule should be more open from now on, so I hope to get some more work done on the project.

------------------
                  "It is only when we have lost everything
                  that we are free to do anything."
                  - Fight Club
                  "It is not enough to be alive. Sunshine, freedom and a little flower you have got to have."
                  - Hans Christian Andersen

GGS Website

Comment

Hi onepaul:

What do I need to do to get an official page for Clash of Civilizations in the alt civs section? Our main site is at http://clash.apolyton.net/frame .

Thanks much,

Mark

------------------
                    Mark Everson
                    Project lead for The Clash of Civilizations ( clash.apolyton.net )
                    (That means I do the things nobody else wants to do ;-) )
                    This Radically different civ game needs your suggestions and/or criticism of our design.
                    Check our our Web Site & Forum right here at Apolyton...

[This message has been edited by Mark_Everson (edited September 24, 2000).]
                    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
                    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
                    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Mark,
                      done.
                      Clash page

let me know of any typos, etc... hope that was what u had in mind...
                      cheers.

------------------
                      only human...sigh

Comment

well, like I said, if ya girls need a 'site-about', let me know, I'll duke it out... I'm getting rid of 'ancient prophecy' site-about anyway...
                        cheers

------------------
                        only human...sigh

Comment

Thanks onepaul! I'll get back to you at a later date if we come up with a better intro paragraph, and art to put up.

-Mark
                          Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
                          A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
                          Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Working...
                          X