Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Hive, MY 2237

Governor Skye,

I found your last transmission very interesting and informative. I believe that my one time underling stated that we were set to build 5 planet busters, for only defensive measures. With that in mind I will accept 5 technologies in exchange for the Hive not to build the five planned planet busters. Before we make any final agreements I must make the following stipulation though. If you and I agree not to build planet busters than we must persuade the other leaders to follow suit or if they can not be persuaded then we must do so by force of arms until they do. This "persuasion" can take many forms such as espionage tactics to out right military intervention and the seizure of those bases trying to build them. I have been told by some of my space engineers that eventually they will be able to make orbital defensive satellites that will be able to intercept incoming missiles but for now we must rely on our ability to enforce ourselves. Once we have the orbital technology then this issue is mute since only an idiot would waste the energy, time and minerals in building them only to have them destroyed by something that costs only a fraction of the price to a build planet buster. If you will not agree to this stipulation then I can not agree to your terms and I will build planet busters as planned. What I fear, and I fear few things on planet, is that somehow a small power like Miriam or Corazon or even Nwabudike will acquire the technology and should they become mired in a conflict they can not resolve that they would resort to using these weapons as a means of last resort. Simply put if they are on the brink of losing all they have worked or they might become so desperate to believe that the short term benefit outweighs the long term impact. However, if I also have planet busters and they know that any use of them would result in immediate destruction then the short term benefit is deleted from the equation and in theory planet busters neutralize each other.

If you do agree to my terms then the five technologies I wish are as follows:

Nano-metallurgy
    Unified Field theory
    Neural Grafting
    Probability mechanics
    Advanced Eco. Engineering

I have little else to report this turn other than the Hive continues to expand and we will soon have a sea base located just south of your most western base that sits next to the undeveloped territory. I have one question to put to you and that is as follows: my planet engineers who visited your scientists have suggested that this small continent might be better used if we do not use it at all. By leaving some of planet undeveloped" it might "ease" the effects we have done to planet. I for one might agree, not for these reasons, but more for the fact that it is too far away for proper Hive supervision. However, some of the data I have been shown is interesting. I have made it a point to build a thermal borehole for almost every city/base the Hive has and this excess energy might start to melt the polar caps and flood planet. This concerns me greatly, should it actually happen, since many Hive cities are located below 1000 meters. What is your assessment of this suggestion.

Chairman Yang
    HIVE

*~*~*~*~*

Gaia’s Landing, MY 2238

Chairman,

I accept your proposal and have attached the requested technological specification to this transmission. In addition I have attached the specs for Self Aware Machines, which we were finally able to understand as a result of the insights gained from the Universal Translator. This means that we will be able to build Orbital Defense Pods, and that will make us both secure against the event that some rogue faction decides to build and use a planetbuster.

One thing you should know: your old friend Zak is building a Planetbuster. What is laughable is that he is building it in a size 3 base and that it will take him 42 years to complete. A lot can change in 40-odd years, so I don’t think you need fear him. Moreover, I expect that you will have layered orbital defense pod defenses up by then, rendering any threat he might present moot.

I can help clarify your concerns about global pollution and the rising sea levels it might cause. Exceeding your mineral output at a single base, and to a lesser extent base improvements, causes global pollution. If you have no or little pollution then there will be no buildup that might trigger a global warming cycle. At your suggestion I did a little survey and none of the other factions have bases that are causing any significant pollution. No Gaian bases have caused any pollution in a long time, although we did have a few fungal blooms a while ago during our first population boom caused mineral production to get out of control. I didn’t check your bases, but I would hope your base administrators have pollution under control. So, if there is no pollution there is no global sea rise. Even if there is there may be time to get a solar shade in place, although that can have unpredictable effects. It is best not to cause the pollution in the first place.

Take care, Chairman,

Dee

*~*~*~*

The Hive MY2238

Governor Skye,
    It seems that Pravin Lal has now resorted to the stealing of equipment. I shall have to teach him a lesson on manners it seems. The man is amazing to me in some respects, faced with the cold reality of his own failure as a leader, he still tries to grasp at some faint hope of glory to relieve his suffering mind. I am not sure if I pity him more for his failed grand vision of humanity or despise him for his lack of strength to make it reality.

We established our second plateau base and I do believe it will be vast source of energy for the Hive. For some strange reason it seems to be a focal point of energy for this planet and the few energy collectors we assumed control of are barely able to handle the energy flow.

I am now faced with a situation that I am rarely, well, to be frank, have never been in. It seems that with the technical information you transmitted part of it included plans on the self aware computer system. I see this technology as one of the most important discoveries ever presented to the Hive. I have ordered that ALL resources be made available to complete this project as quickly as possible ( and currently we are on track to complete it in less than 4 turns, using all available resources each turn ). Then to my dismay I was told by a administrative bio-prod that you also were working on this project . I am curious as to why the Gaians would even be interested in this technology since it has such devastating implications to the basic principals of freedom that you so loudly expound upon! So I set this problem to my social engineers to unravel and much to their dismay and their fear, it seems, could not find a reason as to why the Gaians would want such a technology. So as I stated earlier I am put into a situation I rarely if ever have been in, to ASK why? The implications this technology has for the Hive are all but incredible. I will now have the ability to have complete control over my bio-prods and increase the acceleration of my most valuable and awe inspiring dream, the new man. I have always lacked the ability to "grasp" the whole of my society and re-work it to my needs, my vision. This technology will allow me to do just that. I state this as simple fact since I hope that even your most dense empathic freaks have updated you and kept you abreast of how the Hive operates. So we come to the "crux" of this issue. I am willing to negotiate, well something, in exchange for the Hive's exclusive rights to this project. I suppose I might have just answered my own question as to why you wish this technology, as a bartering chip. I would find it hard to accept that you, the lady Deirdre Skye, would condone such a technology that allows the state such enormous powers of control and order when you prize freedom and openness more than anything. So, state your terms for this exchange and we can then begin to negotiate. You have in essence made a successful middle gambit move and forced me to come to terms, well done, I would not have thought you had such guile.

Lastly, I did try to talk with Zakhrov about his planet buster and I am not sure what effect it had. I almost think of all the leaders on this planet that he would be the most likely to use such a weapon. I am sure you might think that I might be the most likely culprit to do so, but, such an analysis would only be cursory at best and lack depth of thought.

Chairman Yang
    HIVE

*~*~*~*

Gaia’s Landing, MY 2239

Chairman,

You are correct in your observation of our society and we have stopped building the Self Aware Colony. The Council has authorized us to switch to the Nano Factory, which was completed this year.

In keeping with that thought our society has evolved into Eudiamonia, which will allow our citizens to fulfill their full potential to the benefit of themselves and our society. Already he have seen a tremendous boost in our energy production, industrial output, and growth. Our military has suffered, however, and I don’t think my generals are too keen on the fixation on individuality, regardless of the benefits it brings.

Also, all of our Talents have become Transcendi, which is the ultimate expression of empathic ability. These special beings are no longer confined to corporal bodies. Some live as disembodied consciousnesses within computer systems, and it is rumored that a few have even evolved into beings of almost pure energy. This seems to fit well with Eudiamonia, since it is the ultimate expression of a free society.

We transferred another base to Santiago this last year, and the last base to be transferred will occur next year. If peace is maintained in that sad portion of the Santiago’s continent we will be better for it. I formed a new base for Miriam on one of the small islands. More will be created, and these will be gifted to Miriam.

Lastly, I strongly encourage you to build a few orbital defense pods right away. It seems that planetbusters are popular right now, and that Morgan is building one now. It will take 18 years to complete, but that a weak insurance policy against disaster. The first few Gaian ODPs are or will be deployed in the next few years.

Dee

*~*~*~*~*

The Hive, MY 2239

Governor Skye,

I am pleased that we were able to work out an "agreement" on the self aware computer technology. I suspect, though you will surely not admit it, all part of your plan to force me into asking for your agreement on this technology. I will not underestimate you again in this regard.

I was contacted by Sister Miriam and it is seems my air patrols in her area are "un-nerving" her fellow brethren and she asked very forcible for me to stop. I agreed this time. It seems Miriam is positioning more of her troops to converge on the plateau area. The control of this area is becoming the key "high ground" in this area since it forces both Miriam and Corazon to go around rather than over.

I have little else to report other than we have developed attack helicopters and they should prove to be very powerful tools on this planet. I suspect that with your advanced economic and scientific prowess you too will discover this technology soon.

I have been wondering if it would be possible for us to explore a "pact" arrangement as well. I would be curious if you would like to investigate this option??

Chairman Yang
    HIVE

*~*~*~*

Gaia’s Landing, MY 2240

Chairman,

I hope you can resolve your territory disputes with Miriam peaceably. She seems much more amenable to reason since she was shorn of her offensive ability, and to be honest she isn’t the threat she once was.

In the last decade or so I have appreciated your willingness to listen to the Gaian point of view, even if you haven’t always agreed with it. We have always come to a reasonable understanding, and been able to find middle ground. So, I think it is appropriate that we Pact, if you are willing. Together we can help the other factions, who are so often busy squabbling that they fail to see the end goal, or how to achieve their own goals. Shall we lead together?

Dee

*~*~*~*

The Hive, MY 2240

Governor Skye,

It seems Sister Miriam believes that she has caught me off guard and has decided to launch a "sneak attack" and storm the high plateau region, the fool. I intend now to conquer her territory and end her sad and pathetic religion once and for all.

I have much planning to do so I will be brief. We have completed the self aware technology and it should be most useful when we capture those Believer bases.

Once I have more time next turn, I will write more.

Lastly, that fool Morgan wants to melt the polar caps. The IDIOT! His territory sits no higher than mine and he would soon find his precious Morgan bases becoming akin to the mythic city of Atlantis!

Chairman Yang
    HIVE

*~*~*~*

Gaia’s Landing, MY 2241

Chairman,

Why did you call for the solar shade to be launched? I wasn’t aware that a period of global warming had started, and launching a solar shade can have dire consequences, such as lowering of sea levels, desertification, and the disruption of rainfall patterns. By the time the vote got to me it was clear your proposal would fail since there was only one other supporter- Lal. Since I saw no need to enact such a serious measure so I voted against it.

By the way, I checked on Morgan and he has one base that is producing 6 pollution. While this is unfortunate, it seems unlikely that it would cause sufficient pollution to trigger a cycle of warming. As I mentioned, no Gaian bases are causing pollution. I checked a few of yours and they don’t seem to be causing pollution, either. I will look into the matter more in the coming year.

It seems Miriam will never learn. I called on her to ask that she call off her vendetta, but she was intransigent. Apparently Santiago declared war with you, so the hot war is on. I see no way Miriam can defend her remaining bases near yours so I have ordered our troops to pull back so there isn’t a misunderstanding, and a spate of unfortunate collateral damage. Miriam’s remaining bases in her original territory are under my protection. She has exactly two, plus a few bases I will have constructed for her safely on a remote island. Our former Believer bases will not be constructing a mag tube system, so you won’t have to worry about these two bases forming an army against you. Plus, I noted that your plateau base is well defended, so I doubt you have much to worry about anyway.

We completed the Xenoempathy Dome last year. I’ve wanted to complete it for a long while, but the Council always overrode me with arguments of re-allocation of resources or that, once we build it, we will not longer be able to recruit ferals to our cause. Finally I persuaded a few critical holdouts that we really don’t need the ferals anymore. We can construct any mindworm vectors we might need, and we have a significant army of mindworms and isles in the field already. Moreover, any offensive ability the mindworms may have had has been long eclipsed by technology, both for offense and defense. Gaia’s Landing has started the Space Elevator, which the Council believes will allow us to gain some parity with your advantage in space.

Lastly, now that we are Pacted I invite you to examine all of our cities to your heart’s content. I have had an unfair intelligence advantage for a long while since my empaths have been able to see where you could not, and once we constructed the Hunter Seeker Algorithm you couldn’t penetrate our security. We have nothing to hide, and if you have any questions I will be happy to answer them.

Dee

*~*~*~*

The Hive, MY 2241

Governor Skye,

It was not ME who initiated that planet council, but Morgan. I also believe the vote was to "melt the ice cap" not launch a solar shade. I think you and your council have been sitting too long on your patios drinking fungal wine.

I see that Lal is now building a prototype of a needle jet. I can not allow him to do so. I intend to launch a series of raids to suspend his operations in this field.

Once again I have little time this turn. Morgan contacted me when a cruiser of his encountered a shard foil on patrol in the sea between us. He made some demand to exchange high level technology for some feeble technology about Centauri Psi. I turned him down and he then ordered his cruiser to sink my foil. I fully intend to have that cruiser destroyed next turn. The war with Miriam should not last long and the addition of her bases in that area should only enhance my energy reserves.

I did order some of my economic engineers to investigate your city structures and we found them for the most part very ordinary when compared to Hive cities.

Chairman Yang
    HIVE

*~*~*~*

Gaia’s Landing, MY 2242

Chairman,

Well, when the proposal was put in front of me it clearly said that Chairman Yang proposed a Solar Shade. If you didn’t propose it then I am doubly glad that it wasn’t approved.

We completed the Space Elevator this last year, and we will start a full-scale satellite-building program. I don’t think it will take long to maximize the utilization of the resources in space! In this respect you have lead the way.

Many of our cities have started Habitation Domes, which will allow unprecedented growth. Indeed, with the addition of a significant number of sky hydroponics satellites growth of cities should be significant. Also, we have now started replacing forests with fungal beds. Production from the fungus now frequently exceeds that of forests, even with hybrid forest enhancements.

I also want to tell you that my scientists revealed something disturbing – we now have the ability to form and control a micro singularity. You can guess what some of the implications might be, both civilian and, unfortunately, military. I imagine that a stasis singularity AAA defender within a base and an aerospace facility will prove all but impossible to deal with since by aircraft it will have a defense factor of 144! The best fusion shard needle only has an attack factor of 26! This will also allow the construction of a singularity planetbuster, which is a scary thought.

Dee

Comment

The Hive, MY 2242

Governor Skye,

I still do not know what to make of this council vote. I assure you once again I did NOT initiate any vote on deploying a solar shade.

I have sent mind sentinels into the Peacekeeper UNHQ to disrupt production on their feeble needle jet. Their efforts were very complete and resulted in the project thrown back to the very beginning.

Little else occurred this turn. Our assault on the Believer bases has begun and I suspect that soon we will have many bases under our control. Miriam is even more deluded into believing than Lal that she has any hope of beating me in combat.

Chairman Yang
      HIVE

*~*~*~*

Gaia’s Landing, MY 2243

Chairman,

This is both a happy and frightening day. We have finally established, once and for all, that Planet is living entity. By this I don’t mean that it is simply an enormous ecosystem that has been apparent for 140 years. The revelation is that all the phenomena that we have all observed through the years are that of a planet-wide sentience: the strangely intelligent mindworm vectors and the reaction of ferals to intrusion as if they were blood cells against a pathogen. Moreover, it is so vastly complicated that we can only fathom the smallest part of it.

That is the exciting part, since all the basic instincts of we Gaians have been essentially (but not wholly) correct. The frightening part is that is that this intelligence is not necessarily friendly to humans, as you well know. Moreover, it has 100 million year cycles of upheaval and cataclysm that will equal one of Earth’s great extinctions and, unhappily, we are at the crux of just such an upheaval. Although I can’t prove it, I think we humans have accelerated this timeline significantly, to our detriment.

We will be able, when we see fit, to attempt to talk directly to Planet. This will take considerable resources, and the results are not at all known. Moreover I do not think we are ready yet, and we will continue to prepare the populous of Planet for this event.

Events pass quickly, Chairman, and time grows short. I can feel this now, and all the whisperings no seem to coalesce.

Dee

*~*~*~*

The Hive, MY 2243

Governor Skye,

For some strange reason that idiot Pravin Lal moved his lone alien relic from his second coastal base to his UNHQ base. Unfortunately for Pravin Lal my border Thought Guards intercepted the shipment and sent the relic back to a Hive base. Once again Pravin demonstrates how much of a fool he is. To send out a precious relic and not to guard it?! Well, I will take a gift any day from the man. We linked it to a node and unlocked some additional data about the planet and building nature preserves or something like that. The only good technology we unlocked is the knowledge to build isles of the deep. I will admit to anyone the value of these creatures. We can now send put teams of isles to recover some of those Unity pods without fear of being attacked by rogue isles.

Our war with Miriam is proceeding as planned. The one drawback it seems as we capture these cities the Believers are destroying their own cities! It is sad yet, if the population is so committed against Hive control I might be forced to nerve staple them to bring about obedience to Hive rule.

There is little else to report at this time. You seem very excited about this new information that planet is "alive". Frankly, I doubt it greatly. My planet engineers find no evidence to support your statements. So if you choose to waste your time and energy on this endeavor, so be it.

Chairman Yang
      HIVE

*~*~*~*

Gaia’s Landing, MY 2244

Chairman,

I’m glad you’re considering breeding isles of the deep, but I have a word of caution for you. We have been using these fine creatures as transports and to investigate Unity pods for almost 100 years, and they are excellent for both purposes. They are also good attack vessels, if you are pressed. However, rogue isle do not ignore isles in your service like they might for the land mindworm vector. In fact, they seem to seek them out and immediately attack if you are adjacent or a sector away from them. It is perhaps 50-50 whether they will attack if you are 2 sectors away from them, but they are unpredictable. I recommend building an inexpensive empath foil to escort your isle. This way the empath foil can deal with a rogue isle that might be lurking in the Unity pod, and the empath foil has a much better chance against the isle since there is no attack advantage in sea psi combat.

I saw that you had acquired Lal’s artifact. I’m sure what happened is that he was going to transfer it to another base an link it to a node. Evidently he forgot that you might acquire it along the way. At least you have put it to good use, since it had been sitting in UNHQ for a very long time.

Habitation domes are in place in most of our cities, and we have started a massive sattelite building program. In less than 5 years we should have 16 of the hydroponic, energy, and defsat in place. You may be interested in knowing that Morgan I only 7 years from completing his planetbuster. I pray he doesn’t consider using it, but you will need at least 4 defsats to reliably defend yourself. One or two might do, but I wouldn’t count on it.

Dee

*~*~*~*

The Hive, MY 2244

Governor Skye,

It was an eventful year after what has seemed to be a rather dull period. We stormed the Believer base just north of the plateau region and captured it very easily. My field commander took careful measures this time to make sure the base would not be put to the torch by fleeing Believer soldiers. After conquering the base I was contacted by Miriam asking to broker a peace and I did try to do so but Corazon would have none of it and I was forced to cancel my portion of it since I must support my stalwart ally, Colonel
      Santiago.

I contact Academician Zakhrov, the first in a very long time, and asked if we could not repair our alliance and to my surprise he do so. We have exchanged some technical files and I expect that our alliance will be stronger than ever. It also allowed the seven University espionage teams to use my nearly completed mag-tube system to shuttle them to "harass" my old friend Lal. I would not be too shocked if the University would not try to subvert one if not both the coastal bases Lal has left. I would much prefer the University as my neighbor than the Peacekeepers.

It seems that Lal was able to scrap together enough resources to build a lone needle jet that was promptly shot down by one of my city garrisons, what a waste. I see he has taken no effort to build further improvements to expand his holdings. He uses the few "scraps" his serfs are able to chisel from the earth and use them to build only weapons. Weapons that as far as I can see are transported via your mag-tube system to my border area.

You should have no fear for the Hive when it comes to these Morgan planet busters. I am preparing a nasty surprise for the good director as I write. The Morgan planet buster brings up an "interesting issue" should Director Morgan use the missile what will be the response of the Gaians? I would demand that you take immediate action against the Morganites and force them to comply with a planet directive of making planet busters illegal? If not then I will consider all agreements null and void between us and end our
      pact!

My engineers expect to make another breakthrough next year. I have warned them it had better be in a field of practical use for the Hive or else.

Chairman Yang
      HIVE

*~*~*~*

Gaia’s Landing, MY 2245

Chairman,

Due to your warning about Zak’s harassment of Pravin I have placed a few elite defensive probes. Zak has no reason to press his war against Pravin since he never did him any harm, so while I can understand your continuing frustration I have no sympathy with his. In needed I will have a few more probes placed in Pravin’s cities.

You are correct that Parvin is wasting his resources in his fruitless fight against you. His cities in my area are building gattling infantry, which Pravin does not seem to understand are not needed against me and are useless against you since they will take forever to reach you, likely decades, and when they do (if they do) they will arrive piecemeal.

Now, to Planetbusters. It is bad enough that Zak, Morgan and Santiago are building Planetbusters, or at least Santiago was the last time I checked. Morgan is likely to have the first ‘honor’ of completing his due to his superior economy and productive ability. If he tries to use it he, or any other faction, will earn the permanent enmity of the Gaians. We were able to come to a reasonable agreement with The Hive, under your guidance, but no such agreement is likely with the other factions, unfortunately. The Charter is still in place, and will be while I have any say about it, and if any faction violates the Charter then they have declared war against the Gaians, it is that simple. So, here is your answer: if the Morganite try to use a Planetbuster they will have declared war against us. I pray he isn’t so foolish.

Dee

*~*~*~*

The Hive, MY 2245

Governor Skye,

I must be brief since I am needed to respond to an emergency! Morgan air craft have attacked our mainland!!! I can not let this go unpunished. I intend to insure now and forever that Morgan will never be able to do such a thing again.

I am informing you that I find your continuing restrictions and hollow promises to much to bear anymore. I have lost more men and material due to the savage attacks by enemies but the most precious thing I lose is time. I am forced to rebuild and re-organize in order to face another threat. For decades I alone supported Santiago at a time when if I had not no one else would, especially you. And if I had not I am sure Corazon would not be here today.

I am ending my pact alliance with you as of the beginning of the next turn. I see no reason to continue to support your leadership while you obviously relish in the idea of having Morgan and Lal ***** away at the Hive, draining my resources and working to destroy my dream of a new humanity.

It is sad that this has come to pass, perhaps if you had taken a more "aggressive stance" in enforcing a peace then I perhaps could see the merit of your leadership. However, your last transmission verified my suspicions that you will not act until Morgan launches his missiles and then it will be to late.

Chairman Yang
      HIVE

*~*~*~*

Gaia’s Landing, MY 2246

Chairman,

I’m sorry you don’t see the value, and the trust, we have put into our short-lived Pact. I had thought we had come to understand one another, or at least to understand and accept each other’s differing point of views. The Council does not understand your argument about Morgan. After all, how much more of an assurance do you need than my commitment to declare war on Morgan if he attempts to use a planetbuster on you? If you have done your job with the construction of ODP than his attack will be wasted, and we did give you the technology to build Orbital Defense Satellites to ensure your defense. What is more, we asked for nothing in return. It was a gesture of goodwill. Your comment on Santiago is even more perplexing since, as you may recall, your actions preserved Santiago but Gaian efforts saved her. Look at the map. Who did the most damage to Believer territory, and destroyed most (or almost all) of her army and air force? Who spent the most resources, likely thousands of energy and mineral credits, on war material to save Santiago and bring relief to you? Even your efforts would have at best held your own against the weight of Believer troops. That in no way diminishes what you did in reinforcing Santiago in her moment of need, but you need to consider that it was almost impossible for the Gaians to do the same since we were not pacted and could not reinforce in the way you did, and as a result we needed to build an expensive expeditionary force. And, after we started making inroads, we expended considerable energy in upgrading defenders, bribing cities to reduce the loss of life, and building offensive units.

We’ve been good neighbors for a long time now, Chairman. We haven’t always agreed on issues but we’ve always found some common ground.

Dee

*~*~*~*

The Hive, MY 2246

Lady Deirdre Skye and the Gaian Council,

On behalf of his most wise and knowledgeable Chairman Yang I have been instructed to communicate to you that until the situation is resolved our most beloved Chairman Yang will no longer make himself available for direct communications.

Our most worthy ally Academician Zakhrov is pressing his claim of retribution for the suffering Pravin Lal has inflicted on the Hive and once again you "step in" to intervene on the oppressors side. You do nothing to either halt your pact mate attacks on the Hive or disconnect your mag-tube system so Pravin does not use it to shuttle troops into our backyard. Lastly, you fail to break off your relations with these parties even when they pursue hostile actions against us. So until a resolution can be brought to bear our most revered and cherished Chairman Yang will not communicate with you to until you can address these issues.

Also, the most magnificent Chairman Yang wishes to remind you that while you did arrive in the end to help stop the onslaught of Sister Miriam you were able to do so because you had the time to build the infra-structure and troops to do so, time that was purchased with Hive blood and resources. We on the other had were forced to "scrap" our expansion plans in order to focus military equipment on the problem at hand. We do not regret our actions but it is time we, the Hive, work towards leveling the playing
      field.

Lastly, It seems that some malicious rumors have been spread about Hive actions concerning the "new humans" that have been suddenly mutating in our cities. These empaths and thinkers have not been harmed but simply escorted into a special holding facility until we can study them and insure they are no threat to the Hive. Our engineers are more than up to the task to making sure the Hive expands and grows.

103Z-131IT-RE132-131313131
      First Circle of Advisors to the Hive

*~*~*~*

Gaia’s Landing, MY 2247

Alpha Numeric Stand-in for Chairman Yang,

Please relate my displeasure to the good Chairman on his one-sided view of events. Just as Pravin is sending probe teams against the Hive, the Hive has sent numerous probe teams against him. In fact, the Chairman was quite blunt in both his interest in obliterating Peacekeeper control of his two coastal bases and in his continual actions that insured riots and the destruction of Pravin’s infrastructure. Regardless of the motivations even the Chairman should see that Pravin might not take kindly to this. Moreover, Zak has been sending continual probe actions against Pravin, causing significant destruction and the mind control of one of his few bases. Zak has no cause for animosity toward Pravin except that he honored his Pact with you. While that is understandable, his continued actions long after they were appropriate are not. So, I ask the Chairman: stop Zak’s probe actions against Pravin. What? You say you have no way to control his actions? Well, isn’t that interesting. I can’t control Pravin’s actions either. Well, then I have a solution: destroy your road and mag tube system from University territory to Peacekeeper territory so Zak can’t inflict harm on Pravin. What? You say this is impractical and would cripple the transport of goods and services, and important defensive equipment, throughout your holdings? Why, isn’t that a coincidence – the Gaian’s can’t shut down their road system either for the same reason. Sarcasm aside, we are in the same situation. You can’t control the predations of Zak, and I can’t control the predations of Pravin. You can’t control Santiago, and I can’t control Morgan.

Now, to Miriam. You are correct that we were delayed in sending aid, and that his delay was on the order of a decade or so. This was how long it took to acquire the technology and resources to build an expeditionary force. While The Hive was able to send rovers overland we were not – we had to build a significant fleet of ships and expensive amphibious attack rovers and infantry. And the Gaians had to build them in numbers that would be able to survive Miriam’s counterattack on their own. You did not have to do this since you had Santiago’s help, and her bases. I am sure that if we sent over an inadequate force that merely harassed Miriam by destroying a military unit or two you would have been even more displeased. By delaying we were much more effective, and the result is that Miriam is not longer a significant force.

Don’t let relations between us cool too much, Chairman. Your societies each have their unique points of view, but don’t let these differences divide us to the point that we can no longer discuss these viewpoints.

Dee

Comment

The Hive, MY 2247

Lady Deirdre Skye and the August Gaian Council,

Our most cherished and beloved Chairman Yang is unable to communicate once again with you since he has secluded himself away while he consults with our honorable allies. The most wise and sacred Chairman Yang wishes for me to convey to you his disappointment at your perspective of revisionist history. By Hive records we have fought alongside our Spartan allies for more than 25 turns, not a mere decade, much longer than any Gaian. Also, though you did capture many cities these were cities that were behind the lines and who had small garrisons since they were all out fighting the Hive. So you did benefit greatly from the supreme military wisdom of Chairman Yang.

His most wonderful and splendid Chairman Yang is working with our allies to lessen the conflict, I assure you. The University has withdrawn many of its probe teams and has pulled back artillery units that were about to shell Pravin's UNHQ. This is the mastery in diplomacy that only our most esteemed and loved Chairman Yang can perform. While you as Planetary Governor have not been able to stop not even one of Pravin's attacks! The only regret our Chairman has at this time is temporary impasse he has reached in dealing with Colonel Santiago and her construction of a Planet Buster. The most honorable Chairman Yang still believes that in time he will be able to talk the Spartans out of this folly and move on to more productive uses of their resources. The Chairman Yang has even threatened to end our pact with Sparta if they do not at least reconsider. Have you done as much?? If you have please let us know because no record has reached us of your attempts.

Our most High and venerable Chairman Yang is most concerned of recent reports we have that large numbers of rogue native plant forms are attacking our facilities, facilities that produce no pollution. Our most terrible and splendid Chairman Yang wishes to know if your domesticated native life forms are not in some way "responsible" for this unexplained rash of attacks?

*~*~*~*~*

Gaia’s Landing, MY 2248

Chairman,

I seems no one is building a planetbuster anymore, and I am quite happy about it. Morgan must have finally seen the reason in my ‘suggestions’, just as Zak and Santiago must have seen the rationality in yours. The main threat wasn’t to either of our societies but to the other minor powers. Just imagine the damage that one planetbuster could do to Pravin, Morgan, Santiago or Zak? While the effects would be horrible, both of us could recover, the others would have a much harder time doing so.

Now, I must quibble with you. Zak didn’t withdraw his probe teams, he expended them trying to destroy the Gaian teams guarding the Peacekeeper bases. Indeed, two teams were destroyed and one damaged, not that that will cause you any serious concern. Zak has been at ‘peace’ with Lal for a while now, and his artillery weren’t a threat unless he decided to declare a hot war again. Still, it is good he pulled them back, which is a good thing.

As to Miriam, although a few of her cities were lightly defended, many had three or four defenders, and there were considerable offensive units for the first decade or so while we held a single Believer city. In fact, we absorbed the entire existing and productive force of 2/3 of the Believer territory since we cut off the most productive portion of her territory from reinforcing her war with Santiago, which was the whole idea of our initial strategy. To you it must have seemed quick and easy to you because by that time we had a significant technological and production advantage and were able to dispatch her forces with relative ease, especially after the second transport arrived. We had, in sort, an overwhelming advantage which made dealing with her relatively easy, if tedious. Those two transports held more offensive firepower than all of Miriam’s army at its height, and likely more defense, too.

The xenofungus spawns mindworm vectors in sympathy with intrusion, pollution, in sync with planet apogee, or sometimes just at random. We haven’t been able to time these events, although they are more likely when previously undisturbed fungus is investigated. All I can suggest is sensors, trance units, and a good mobile reaction force. Another strategy is to remove fungus from sensitive areas, which we did for a number of years. Now we are planting fungus across our territory, especially in marginal areas like the oceans where it produces 3-2-3, which is the equivalent to a hybrid forest. Another defense is a good planet rating, but to get that your society would have to give up its Planned base and go Green. Morgan would like that, since your Planned economy is the primary reason he is in opposition with you.

I have interceded more than you know to help the cause of peace. I brokered two truces between Miriam and Santiago, not that they did much good in the long run. And I did, as I recall, threaten to end the Pact with Miriam if she didn’t agree to a peace. As I recall Miriam broke one, and Santiago broke the other, dragging you into the war again – peace is fleeting among long time combatants it seems. I’ve asked Santiago to agree to peace with Lal, and she agreed. Likewise with Zak. They are still at odds with Morgan, which is unfortunate, although neither Morgan nor Santiago or Zak can do much to harm each other.

Dee

*~*~*~*

The Hive, MY 2248

Lady Deirdre Skye and the Supreme Gaian Council,

Our most cherished and esteemed Chairman Yang is once again unable to communicate with you due to the strain he is under while the Hive is at a state of emergency. Since this beginning of this turn the Hive has now been put on full alert with all production to be focused on defeating the Morganite and Peacekeeper attacks. His most revered Chairman Yang has taken it upon himself to travel to each base purging those disloyal supporters that have not taken up the challenge our greatest leader has set us to do. Woe unto those bio-prods that come up short in the eyes of the most loving and warm Chairman Yang.

We have no knowledge of any University probe actions in the area you claim. I am sure that the University teams were only defending themselves if there was. It is plain to see that your feeble attempts of revisionist history even extend to current events.

His most upright and gentle Chairman Yang has ordered that some "empaths" may be used under closer supervision by base administrators so long as they are guarded and have been tagged with appropriate identification markers. They do make very able physicians so there talents will now become part of the greater Hive.

*~*~*~*

Gaia’s Landing, MY 2249

Chairman,

I am glad that you can now see some value in empaths. They have never been a threat, and they can be most useful to your society if properly managed. You might want to consider them a superior drone, or bio-prod as you call them. One thing you should be aware of, though, is that eventually these empaths will progress to an even greater state of being called transcendii. These beings literally transcend the need for a physical body, although many choose to inhabit one to ease their interaction with other humans. I think that they are a step toward a new humanity, although it is a bit different from my understanding of your vision for humanity. A side benefit of the transcendii, or empaths for that matter, is that social stability is greatly enhanced, as is economic and scientific output.

Morgan has resumed his production of his planetbuster, which is 3 years from completion. I’m sad that he has chosen to resume his flawed quest for power and I pray he doesn’t use it. If he tries our alliance will fall to dust.

You might want to talk to the Gaian probe teams in Peacekeeper territory, who are just now recovering from their duels with the University. Luckily the University teams were not nearly as skilled as we are so they took the worse for the encounter, but they were still damaged. They would be amused to learn that their wounds were ‘revised’ in your eyes.

Dee

*~*~*~*

The Hive, MY 2249

Governor Skye,

I will be brief. It seems that Spartan infiltrators breached our security net and downloaded some technical blue prints on technology that we were "withholding" from the Spartans due to their poor security conditions and here we have allowed them to
        infiltrate ours. I issued a stern warning to Corazon that should this happen again I will sever my alliance with the Spartans and treat them no better than Pravin Lal.

It now seems clear that this entire planet is aligned against the Hive and no faction or leader can be trusted. With that in mind I intend now to go into retreat once again and contemplate my next move...

Chairman Yang
        HIVE

*~*~*~*

Gaia’s Landing, MY 2250

Chairman,

We’ve been on Planet 150 years now. Does it seem that long to you? It seems like only yesterday that I was an intern at Bionex in White Plaines, New York, when everything was new, exciting, and a little intimidating. I can still remember the stark terror when I heard about the 12 Minute War between India and Pakistan since I knew immediately what it meant – millions dead and dying. But, most of all, I remember the growing dread as everything started to fall apart on Old Earth, from the collapse of the last remnant of Brazil’s rainforest to the final submersion of dozens of island nations as the seas rose with pitiless steadfastness. And then there was Unity, the one shining example in a world of chaos and decay.

Do you remember the final hours of Unity? It was crushing to have all the hope and vision that Unity represented snatched away in those final moments. Regardless of the tireless efforts of Zak, and Captain Garland, we still failed in our primary mission. And that lead to our current situation – factions bickering, mainly over petty reasons, with veiled hopes of conquest or retribution. That is just like old Earth, Chairman, and that cycle of violence destroyed it.

I hope to transcend above that soon. We won’t have another chance – Planet is it.

Dee

*~*~*~*

The Hive, MY 2250

Governor Skye,

I intend to withdrawal from all alliances and place the Hive into self-isolation. I no longer trust any of the other leaders on this planet and have decided that the Hive must now seek independent means for security. You I must distrust of all, even above Godwinson and Morgan. Your "transcendi" are the single greatest threat to the Hive. I have issued orders that ALL transcendi are to be shot on sight, never send any of them
        into Hive territory. I can not risk contamination by these beings. They represent the single greatest threat to my master plan for humanity. How can I re-shape humanity if I can not have total control of the human. These transcendi "transcend" my ability to control the being and thus the whole. I can not allow any of them to survive in the Hive and have ordered that any transcendi that appear are be exterminated instantly!

Chairman Yang
        HIVE

*~*~*~*

Gaia’s Landing, MY 2251

Chairman,

It is too bad you have chosen to reject the transcendi as they appear. Your reaction shows that you don’t quite understand them since transcendi can’t really die unless they want to. They are largely above form, so when you ‘shoot’ them they simply leave. In fact, they have been arriving at sanctuaries in Gaians cities for a while now. They have a different life history, having matured in the Hive, but our society is open enough that they can flourish here. We have even had a few transcendi from other factions, but not Morgan. It seems he has made them most welcome, although there are few in his purview.

We completed a few Projects in the last few years. Last year we completed the Dream Twister, which our empaths were particularly interested in since it boost our empthy with Planet. We just completed the Singularity Inductor, and hope there won’t be severe ecological disruption as a result of the production increases. And we completed the Telepathic Matrix, which will weave our society into a greater whole, and reduce the little unrest we have. The Council thought this Project to be redundant since most of our cities have been in a Golden Age for decades, but I thought it would be useful as we draw together even as we enhance our individual talents.

Morgan finishes his planetbuster this next year. I hope he doesn’t do anything stupid. The Council is getting even more protective of Planet as time passes, and the fact that three of the Council members have recently become transcendi might have something to do with that. Use of a planetbuster would be a crime they would scarcely have any patience for, and I fear their reaction if such comes to pass.

Dee

*~*~*~*

The Hive, MY 2251

GOVERNOR SKYE,

I DEMAND IMMEDIATE ACTION!!!! WE HAVE JUST LEARNED THAT PRAVIN LAL AND HIS SO CALLED "PEACEKEEPERS" ARE BUILDING A PLANET BUSTER IN THE COASTAL CITY ADJACENT TO HIS UNHQ. I CAN NOT TOLERATE THIS IN ANY WAY, FORM OR SHAPE! I SERVE NOTICE TO YOU THAT SHOULD HE PERSIST ON BUILDING THIS DEVICE I WILL ATTACK. I WILL STAY MY HAND UNTIL THE LAST FIVE TURNS BUT AT THAT TIME I
        WILL LAUNCH AN ALL OUT ATTACK ON BOTH OF HIS BASES. LAL IS EVEN BUILDING CRUISE MISSILES TO WEAR OUT MY ORBITAL DEFENSE SYSTEM SO HIS PLANET BUSTER WILL HAVE FREE REIGN!

I HAVE ENDED ALL OF MY PACTS AND I HAVE SERVED NOTICE THAT THE HIVE IS NO LONGER A PART OF ANY ALLIANCE. THE HIVE SERVES ITS OWN MASTER, CHAIRMAN YANG. IF I HAVE TO TAKE ACTION TO ELIMINATE THE PLANET BUSTER THREAT THEN I SERVE NOTICE THAT ALL TREATIES WE HAVE FORGED ARE NULL AND VOID!!

I HAVE ORDERED ALL HIVE PRODUCTION FACILITIES TO BEGIN IMMEDIATELY ALL OUT PRODUCTION OF WAR MATERIAL. WE WILL NOT BE TRAMPLED UNDER FOOT!!!!!

I DEMAND YOU EITHER STEP DOWN AS GOVERNOR OR TAKE ACTION TO STOP THIS INSANITY FOR IF YOU DO NOT, I WILL AND DAMN THE CONSEQUENCES!!! I HAVE MADE PLANS FOR MYSELF AND THE GRAND VISION AND IF IT TAKES THE DESTRUCTION OF THE ENTIRE HIVE TO ACHIEVE MY GOAL THEN SO BE IT. MY PLANS WILL INSURE THAT THE
        PROJECT WILL MOVE ON AND CHAIRMAN YANG WILL BE THERE TO GUIDE IT.

Chairman Yang
        HIVE

*~*~*~*

Gaia’s Landing, MY 2252

Chairman,

Calm yourself. A wise person once said, “Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world.” That wise person was you, Chairman. Try to gain a little perspective: as usual, Lal is actually wasting his resources since this planetbuster can’t possibly hurt you with your defsats in place. Moreover, while he spends prestigious resources on this dubious project you can concentrate on other more valuable items. It will take him 20 years to complete this, and during this time he can build nothing else at his base. So, in a way you are fortunate. My fear is that you are using this ‘provocation’ to break your word and take what you desire. This is ‘old’ thinking, Chairman. Try to see beyond the immediate and look to the long term, and I think you will see this is not the threat you think it is.

We finished the Bulk Matter Transmitter this last year. As promised, we will not work on the Cloning Vats Projects, but now bigger projects seem to beckon.

Dee

P.S. – my empaths noticed a while ago that you have built nerve gas equipped shard rovers. I would strongly advise that you not use these since Planet is likely to have a strong negative reaction to the use of nerve gas. I don’t know why this is so – it just is. Moreover, the Council and I will have a highly (and almost allergic) negative reaction to nerve gas use, as will the other factions, I think. So, think carefully and calmly while you reach for societal perfection that you don’t stumble along the way.

P.S. - I don't appreciate your probe teams destroying the Gaian teams at UN Headquarters. These probe teams will be replaced.

Comment

The Hive, MY 2252

Governor Skye,

I see once again you fail to grasp the larger picture. If I allow him to even get close to completing the planet buster I send a signal to all the other planet leaders that Yang is soft and can be easily threatened. This I can not allow! With the alien artifact there it will allow him to build the planet buster all the quicker. I will not allow him to come even close to completing it! If they are your troops or his it makes not difference, I will see that project terminated one way or another!

As for my building rovers that are armed with nerve gas I think your empaths have given you incorrect information. Even if I had ordered them built, so what? A few year of economic sanctions is all I would get, is this supposed to scare me? I think not. We benefit very little from trade and by imposing a ban on the Hive is the least of my concerns.

Lastly, I shall not "calm down" your intentions like the other leaders are transparent to me, you either wish me dead or you wish to purge me from the Hive, neither of which will work.

Chairman Yang
          HIVE

*~*~*~*

Gaia’s Landing, MY 2253

Chairman,

I seems you will have something else to think about. We completed the Voice of Planet in a single year, which is our first step to truly understanding the vastness of Planet and its intricacies. The fact that Planet has a sort of sentience, or emergent sentience, has been known for a long time but we were unsure how to truly touch, and be touch by, this entity. We have been able to get the barest wisp of Planet through its mindworm denizens, and its interlocking fungal net. Now we will get its undivided attention by blasting its neural network with the sum total of human knowledge. It will be a wake up call that it can’t miss, and there may be repercussions such as fungal blooms and eruptions of mindworms. This would be a good time to switch to a Green economy, Chairman, and have your citizens prepare in case of the worse.

In preparation for this event we have allocated no energy to science, and our scientific breakthrough rate has decreased to a breakthrough every three years. Frankly I don’t think that matters, since all our focus will be on Planet itself. Some energy will be devoted to the happiness of our citizens, but the rest will be rendered into economic surplus that will amount to almost 8000 energy in a single year. Moreover, most of our bases will be producing supply crawlers of various types, and these will be used to convey the basic materials to our next big Project.

You see, Chairman, that if we survive the awakening with Planet I intend to have humans merge with it. It will be the next stage in our evolution, and we will finally be able to leave behind all the petty squabbling that destroyed old Earth and that are so endemic now here on Planet. I consider this a sort of transcendence, and all humans will be invited to come and to merge with Planet and achieve a sort of immortality.

This is a Project to save both humans from themselves, and to help Planet stop its tragic cycle of failed awakenings it has had over the last half billions years. Planet and humans hold the keys that each needs to become more than we are. This sounds like the New Humanity you have quested for since we landed on Planet; a better humanity that retains its essence, but leaves its weaknesses like a child leaves a toy when it grows up.

The end of our childhood is upon us, Chairman.

Dee

*~*~*~*

The Hive, MY 2253

Governor Skye,

Do you think I am a FOOL! You talk about peace and yet you place a whole army of soldiers into the Peacekeeper coastal bases , a convenient staging point for your invasion!!!

Do you expect me to fall for your new ploy! You claim that planet is "alive" that it talks and has a voice of the planet? Well, I know who voice it is, it's yours!! Do you think I am such an idiot to believe that rock, magma, water and oxygen have some how become organic or sentient? The only intelligence my planet engineers see behind the planet is yours! You have used your technology to control the organic life forms of this planet to a level that no one else can. If any massive attacks occur by "rogue" native life forms then I will consider them an attack by YOU! One or two minor attacks I can dismiss as random but an all out attack at a time when our orbital path does not take us close to the suns smacks of conspiracy, of WAR! Be warned that your provocative actions tell me more than you know and indicate your true intentions more than your words.

I do believe that you "think" you can take humanity to the next level but you are mistaken. You can try your feeble attempts to reach perfection but only Chairman Yang has the true vision. I will not allow your plans to interfere with mine! You may allow these transcendi to live among you but not in the Hive! They are freaks, a dead end evolutionary path to building the greater man, the true humanity. I will do everything in my power to stop your doomed experiment! BE WARNED!!! STOP NOW!!! Do not try to seek a false path to humanity when Chairman Yang already has your answer. Come to me Deirdre and learn about the true vision of humanity, my vision, my hope,
          my dream. Submit now to my noble and inspired rule and become one with the Hive! It is your only true choice to make.

Lastly, I do have the means to destroy transcendi. By modulating frequencies in many bandwidths I can disrupt the very molecules of energy that they are composed of. ALL mind sentinels at Hive cities posses these weapons. There is a reason that they flee from the Hive. They are freaks of nature that must be stamped out!

Remember, I will do all in my power to save you Deirdre and your people from the foolish mistake you are about to make...

Chairman Yang
          HIVE

Planetmind EarthDeirdre, MY 2254

<>

<<discontinuity>>

EarthYang,

We are now Planetmind, and Humanity is joined except for a few who choose not to understand. We find it odd that such a powerful singular mind such as yours chooses to believe in ideology rather than fact, but that is that the case with all of Humanity’s old religions, including yours. Even EarthMiriam now sees that, and she and her followers rejoice in finally being the Truth.

If you wish you may stay as a corporal being and pursue your dreams even though they cannot be achieved. Humanity has now Transcended, and we may use you corporals who select not to join us in the future. There are even Projects you could help us with, if you elect to.

Know that all may join with Planetmind, and already almost all of Humanity has done so.

We wait for you.

Planetmind EarthDeirdre

Comment

Working...
          X