From Dawn to Dusk on Planet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Dawn to Dusk on Planet

Hi folks....I just got this bug in me to write down some things yesterday...this is basically a string of short tales about a typical day on Planet

DAWN-UN HQ

“Good morning, John, you wanted to chat with me?” Jeff Smith said as he entered his friends office.

John Killian looked up briefly from the data pad he was reading. He merely nodded and had the barest hint of a smile upon seeing his old friend. He had known Jeff and been his friend since the early days of planetfall, when they both served in the Peacekeeper Exploratory Force. Since then both men had made names for themselves, and now despite the regeneration treatments they both were showing gray hairs and receding hairlines. Still, Killian noted that his friend carried two cups of synth-coffee and that he placed one in front of him.

“Jeff,” John spoke, “What the hell is this!?” He tossed the data pad to Smith as the man sat down. Smith’s refelexes had not slowed with age. He caught the pad in mid flight without spilling a drop of his cup of synth coffee.

Smith didn’t really read the pad. He sat across from Killian and scanned it briefly. He already knew what it was. After al he had only sent it to Smith the night before. Killian was the Director of Intelligence and Recon Affairs at UN Headquarters, meaning he was the man in the long line of bureacracy that approved (or denied if need be) probe team missions. Killian was the Medical Liason Officer, meaning he normally had little to do. Killian was obviously annoyed, but intriugued by the contents of the data pad. Smith said nothing, and placed the pad on Killian’s desk and sipped his drink.

“Okay, Jeff....I’ll bite...” Killian began, “Why are you sending me a request for probe team operations on a University of Planet Base? A request that asks, I may add,that we steal information on Gene Splicing, even though we Gene splicing capabilities?”

Smith put his cup down on the desk and scooted his chair closer to it. “ John, the UoP has some techniques in this area that we haven’t mastered yet. Oh, we’ll master them in a few years, but we haven’t the time.”

“What are you talking about?” Killian queried.

Jeff Killian sat back in the chair and took a deep breath. “Basically, John, we need to breed some cats.”

There was an uncomfortablr silence. Killian stared at his friend, his pale blue eyes widening. He really felt that his old friend hads lost his most. “CATS?”

“Yes, Cats....like “meow,meow”...you know Cats.”

“We already have CATS!” Killian almost shouted. Like most buerucrats, he didn’t like to have his time wasted. The early colonists on planet carried with them the genetic material of many earth animals. Though it took time to get the infrastucture together the factions mostly had the abiltiy to grow these animals from the gene stock as needed. Cats were among them, but the common cat from earth didn’t deal well with life on planet. Citizens in bases below size designate five couldn’t own them, and even then there were few that could afford it. Cats, dogs, gerbils, etc were a luxury. It was expensive to grow them and expensive to feed them. The few common cats that existed on planet were fully the property of the rich and famous.

“I see you don’t understand” Smith sighed, “You didn’t read the details of my request, did you? We don’t need the run of the mill cat...we need genetically altered cats and we need them badly.” Smith picked up the pad and pressed a few control buttons, “Computer,” he spoke aloud, pausing only to hear the acknowledging chirp of Jeff’s office computer, “display image in file 012-1327.”

With this command the holographic emmitters in John’s office hummed to life and produced an image on the desk...a hideous image. It was nearly the size of a small dog and it had greasy spiky black hair. It had short but sharp teeth and stood on its hind legs. It had pink hands and feet and three soulless eyes on its head. John would have called it a rat, an animal he learned existed on old earth, but he knew that Earth rats had only two eyes.

“We call them the Vermin.” Jeff said. “They’re native to planet and from what we’ve learned they exist in small packs. At least they did. Since mankind has established bases here, they’ve moved in. These creatures aren’t as ferocious as they look, but they are mean...and they’re natural carriers for the planet virus called Chironian Blood Fever. They’re literaly coated with a type of flea that helps transmit it. “

“Its....vile looking!” Killian snarled at the image. The three milky blue eyes of the hologram seemed to be focused on him and it gave him chills. Without a word, he shut the hologram off. “I’ve never heard of this ‘Vermin’ and the newest cases of Chironian Blood Fever have been contained.”

Jeff shook his head sadly. “No they haven’t. UN Health Authority kept it queit and they did a good job of it, if you didn’t know. The Vermin live mostly in the below sections of our bases...where the drones live...the ‘ghetto’ for want of a better word....they’ve been breeding like wildfire and its causin a real health risk.”

John thumped his fist on the desk top, “Dammit, Jeff, what do you know? spill it!”

“The Vermin are breeding, John. UN Health Authority estimates thart within a year the virus they carry will infect the entire population. As you know, we don’t have a cure for Chironian Blood Fever. We can immunize people but the drugs needed are hard to create and we can’t immunize the entire population in time. No one cared before because it was the lower class dones that were falling sick...but if we don’t act, we’ll have a plague on our hands.”

Killian chewed his lip for a seond...”For this you need Cats?” he asled.

“Ever since the the UoP band the Human Hive began fighting”, Smith explained, “ The Uop has restricted access to all of thier research.. When the Hive stole their secret documents on Plasma Steel Zakharov has become obsessed with security. So most of the experts at the UoP won’t tell us anything, even though we know they have the same Vermin problem. Now, as you said, we can breed cats, but earth cats are fragile here on planet and a typical cat would be torn to shreds by one of the vermin. But if we could just fill the gap in our genetic engineeering knowledge we could breed a cat that could hunt these damn things down in the lower levels and save us all.”

John’s face became red. He was angry that this information wasn’t gviben to him before, but he knew that the bureucracy oif the Peacekeepers had made his job in this case that much more difficult. “Jeff,” he said calmly, trying not to be upset with his friend. ‘Why not just send troops to the lower levels and eradicate these beasts?”

“You think we didn’t try that?” Jeff answerd. “UN Health Authority has sent two dozen different missions to get these nasties. The Vermin are too good at hiding and evading human beings. The only way to kill them that way is to burn the base down. But a cat bred to hunt them and kill them...now, that would work. At least in our computer simulations it would...and thats our best chance.”

“Why?”

Killian punched a code on tha pad, turning the holgram on again...but this time the image was of a cat. Not a normal cat, mind you. Killian was startled to see it. The image hade saber teeth and long sharp claws. Its fur was an orange shambles on its body.

“The bubonic plague killed millions on ancient earth but might have been hampered if our ancestors didn’t kill the cats as witches familiars, Smith explained, “ Our genetically enhanced cats could be programmed to hunt down and kill these vermin. They could also be programmed to not harm humans, made sterile and have limited life spans so we don’t find ourselves neck deep in mutant cats. All we need is a little bit of information on Gene Splicing that we know the UoP has, but won’t share.”

Smith leaned forward and looked his friend in the eye. He was deadly serious. “We really need this information, John. If we don’t act now we’ll have a plague of Chironian Blood Fever that makes the Prometheus Virus look like a common earth cold.”

Killian met his friends stare. Then he sipped his coffee and rubbed his eyes. “You know that Commisioner Lal has to personally approve of all Probe Operations. I have my daily briefing with him in two hours. Do you know that this is going to send the man into a fit? After that fiasco with the Spartans last month, Lal’s been feeling the strain. He’s going to go thermal when he sees this request.”

“I don’t want to put you on the spot, old friend, but as the Medical and Health Liaison, I insist that you inform Lal of the situation.” Smith said.

“You realize that if he approves this, and if the UoP learns of our pilfering, they’ll most likely want to go to war over it. Zakharov’s been real jittery lately...who knows what kind of crazy weapons he’s dreaming up now.” Killian warned. “No....I am not going to ask this of Lal...you are.”

“Me?” Smith looked shocked. His duties normally kept out of any face to face meeting with Lal.

“Yes, you.” Killian insisted. “Look at it this way, old friend, either Lal gives this the go and we succeed, or he gives it the go and we fail...in which case we’ll both probably find ourselves re commisioned in the PK Army. Or Lal fires us both and we can retire and play chess all day. At least until we die of Chironian Blood fever.”

Smith chuckled. Killian smiled grimly.

“Two hours then.” Smith stood up, preparing to take his leave. “I’ll get my research materials together and meet you here.” Then he strode out of the office.

Killian watched him go and then gulped down the rest of the his synth coffee. “By Nessus!” He thought, “First thing in the morning and this...I need a vacation....”
    "I know nobody likes me...why do we have to have Valentines Day to emphasize it?"- Charlie Brown

MID MORNING- Data DeCentral

It was a majestic site, the huge terraforming machines being driven into the bay doors at Data DeCentral. As the huge doors closed and the atmosphere processor hissed into life, the Bay Master’s voice echoed into the chamber. “ Ten minutes until Breathable Air. Do not remove your Scrubbers until we give you the all clear.”

Sebastian Leer, Crew chief of the Terraforming Crew coming in stood for a minute to see the morning light through the doors before they closed. His crew pulled in proudly and manueverd the machines into their designated bays. Silhouetted by the incoming light, the crew made an impressive sight. Just as Leer was becoming lost in thought he felt a strong hand land on his shoulder. He turned around to see his supervisor, Nils Krieger.

“Great job, Sebastian...Great job!” Krieger grasped his friends hand and shoke it mightily. “You finished building that solar collector and farming zone six months ahead of time! I can hardly believe it!”

“Don’t credit me, Nils, credit my men,” Leer responded, “ We’ve been busting our tail ends for 8 months out there....my crew was ready to come in.”

Leer was as always, humble. But he was the best Terraforming Chief in the Datatech faction. The double job of preparing grid 040 for farming and building the much need solar collectors was estimated to take a year and half at best....allowing his crew only two weeks of leave within that time period. But Leer had convinced them all to work double...sometimes triple shifts, and got the job done in eight. Leer credited his dedicated workers, but Kreiger knew it was Leer’s skill as a leader and engineering genius that won through.

“As soon as my crew parks all of the formers, I’m going to release them for two weeks...the foreman and I will come back in a few days and do our after action checks. These guys need a break.” Leer said, brushing dirt, dust and flakes of dried fungus off of his jumpsuit. Terraforming crews in the field had little time to bathe and the water was tightly rationed. Leer was grimy.

“Ummmm....we need to talk about that, Sebastian.” Krieger said relunctantly. Leer knew instantly that he wasn’t going to like whatever Krieger had to say next. “Your formers are to be recharged and restocked. You’re to head for grid 060 in three days.”

“WHAT!?” Leer shouted. None of the workers milling around heard him due to the loudness of the terraforming machines churning by into their designated bays.

“Hey,...hey....” Krieger raised his hands for Leer looked like he was going to hit him for a minute, “Its not from me, this comes right from the top...a mindworm attack in 060 destroyed the farms out there. Half of the farm workers were killed! The worms completely decimated their camp.”

Leer stood his ground. Arms akimbo he said through gritted teeth, “My crew has been out there for 8 months with no leave. Those men and women have been eating field rations and drinking recycled water for 8 months...and the only reason we did it was because YOU promised us six months off and double pay. Now you want me to tell them that we have to go out to 060 in two weeks? Half of them will quit! Screw You, Krieger, I’LL QUIT!”

“Lets talk about this in my office...” Krieger began, but Leer cut him off.

“Lets talk about it now!” Leer thundered. He was a smaller man than Krieger, but he was tightly muscled, younger and more intense. “ My kid’s birthday is in ten days...I promised him I’d be home for it! Why not send Roberts crew out there? Or Shang’s?”

Krieger bowed his head, “ Roberts Crew is on the south ridge. They should have done with the mine building by now, but the fungus there was thicker than we estimated...it’ll take ‘em another three months just to clear it...and Shang...Shang and her crew were wiped out by a rogue spore launcher.”

Leer’s jaw dropped. He and Shang shared a friendly rivalry over who was the best Crew Chief. He really liked her, and invitted her to dinner with his family often. Krieger gripped Leers shoulder, his voice almost breaking, “ I know, I know...she was my friend too, Sebastian. I didn’t want to radio the news to you...I felt that you should hear it from me.”

“But we’re in dire straits, Sebastian....our estimates show that we’ll run out of food fast if that farming area isn’t rebuilt. The gigher ups give us a year tops, before famine sets in.”

Krieger was right in that. Through all of the factions it was standard that each base provide for itself. This was simply standard...any one base could fall by mindworm attack or another factions aggression. The bases had to be self sufficient from a survival standpoint. If Data Decentral ran out of food they could expect aid from other bases, but not enough to prevent famine and countless deaths.

“Listen, my friend,” Krieger said, “Food prices are already rising. We need to get that farm up and running again. Terraform Command told me I had to get another crew out there no matter what. You’re the best...your crew is the best! We need you. A green crew would take 15 months probably to fix things...we need it in six.”

Leer looked at Krieger with an angry glint in his eyes. it had been 8 long hard months out in the wilderness of planet, and his crew worked relentlessly to clear the native plant life and prepare the soil for farming. He hadn’t had a real bath in three weeks when their water began to run low.... and his crew were being stretched to point of breaking. But this current dilemma wasn’t Krieger’s fault, Leer realized that. He was just the bearer of bad tidings.

“I’ll get my crew to fix your farm.” Leer answered. “But I want at least one rover battalion at my disposal for protection against the worms. I’m not asking my crew to risk their lives without protection.”

“Done!” Kreiger said smiling. “Terraform command has given me authority to give you what you need.”

“Good.” Leer purred, “Because I also want two weeks off for me and my crew right now. They need to unwind. I want our standard pay and a hazardous duty bonus coupled with an emergency act bonus at the end of this job. I also want a year off with pay afterwards...and Krieger...I want it in writing and cosigned by the base governor. Do this and I’ll have your farms growing Planet Melons in six months.”

Krieger mulled this over in his mind. As he thought the Bay Master’s voice boomed over the PA system, “Atmosphere restored. You may now remove your scrubbers safely.” Leer pulled the scrubber tube from his nostrils. Krieger, still thinking left his in.

“Ah, fresh air.” Leer sighed.

“Its a deal, Sebastian.” Krieger agreed. “I’ll get you the signed contracts by nightfall.”

“Great. I’ll see you later then.” Leer said as he unstrapped his scrubber filter from his belt and walked off.

“Where are you going?” Krieger called after him. “Aren’t you going to inform your men?”

“You do that.” Leer shouted back. “I’ve gotta get a birthday present for my son.” A big one, he thought....and some flowers. His wife wasn’t going to like this news.
    "I know nobody likes me...why do we have to have Valentines Day to emphasize it?"- Charlie Brown

Comment

LATE MORNING- Sparta Command

Corazon Santiago couldn’t decide on what she wanted for an early lunch. Sitting in her office, she was reading a computer readout on the specifications for the Particle Impactor rifle MK2. It was a basic, but important improvement over the original rifle, developed by the Spartan R&D section. The MK2 had a greater effective range, a longer battery life and the inner chamber was more resitant to overheating. Santiago was pleased.

But what to have for a meal? Santiago really wanted a juicy steak...even a synth steak...but she knew she’d be better off having some fruit. Still, she decided on the steak. today was a great day. Today was the day Provost Zakharov would regret crrossing her! The other faction leaders might lack the will or the means to do something about the University of Planet, but the Spartan military feared nothing. Planet would be a safer place with the UoP’s research under Spartan control.

Santiago was just about to contact her aide and tell him what she wanted for lunch...a sirlion steak, rare, with a light salad and a baked Gevi...a native plant that resembled a potato, but with a spicy flavor...when her communication sceen popped to life. The holographic face of General Loomis appeared. His weathered features were distressed.

“What is it, General?” Santiago asked. She could see something was wrong, and she always cut to the chase.

“Colonel,” the General began...officially Santiago’s title was Commander in Chief, but the ‘colonel’ moniker had stuck, and everyone referred to her that way. “Its about Operation Bum-Rush! There’s been a disaster! The Strike Force has been destroyed!”

Santiago, to her credit, revealed no emotion. But she was concerned. two transport ships and three battle cruisers were committed to the invasion of Climactic Research and Mendelev College. Both bases were on the fringes of University territory and lightly guarded. Theres no way the UoP could have stopped her troops from taking them! Then she remembered...the invasion force couldn’t have made landfall by now. They weren’t due to hit the beach for seven more hours.

“How?” Santiago stood up from her desk and used her wrist comp to adjust the holgram to full size. The image of Loomis face flickered out and in its place a full size hologram of the general appeared on the opposite side of the desk.

“Our information is sketchy, but the strike force wasa attacked by two Isles of the Deep and what appears to be the largest Sealurk on record.”

Damn! Santiago thought. There was a large area of sea fungus just off of the UoP coast. The strike force was to pass through it for cover, and mindworm attack was a possible danger. But a flotilla of skimships had searched the area a few hours before to look for the rogue native lifeforms. The chances that so many of them would appear at once were slim. Santiago couldn’t believe her luck was that bad.

“Computer...Map!” She barked. the hologram projector produced a tactical map of the known areas of planet next to General Loomis. The area of Sea Fungus was circled in red. It was larger than it was previously. Santiago had a creeping suspicion of what had occured.

“General Loomis,” Santiago began in a clipped tone, “ The Strike Force was to remain in radio silence until the attack began. Did you or they break that order?”

She turned on her heel and faced the holgraphic General. Even though he was in a different room entirely, Loomis couldn’t meet her eyes. He licked his lips slightly and stammered, “Admiral Rondo sent a coded request...the ships found several unity pods afloat in the fungus. He wanted permission to investigate them and I granted it.”

Ah, the other shoe! Santiago thought to herself. That fool Rondo opened the pods and triggered a xenofungal bloom. The appearance of the Isles of the Deep probably attracted the Sealurk. Deep in the middle of the Sea fungus the ships couldn’t manauver fast enough to escape the rampaging alien beasts. Santiago could see on her tactical display that only two of the battleships survived and that they were badly damaged. Several battalions of Sparta’s best soldiers died, not in battle, but helpless aboard an unarmed transport.

Santiago could barely contain herself, but she spoke with the voice of calm and her face remained emotionless. A true leader didn’t have to shout or yell to get a point across. But she was livid inwardly. Months of planning had gone into this mission and the soldiers assigned to it had died in the worst way to die on Planet. All because...and she knew this...Loomis wanted the extra glory of finding a cache of energy credits in the pods. She always knew he was a bit arrogant, but he was a master tactician and she never thought he was stupid before now.

“General, have the remaining ships make port in Hawk of Chiron immediately. Convene the Council of War in two hours and bring a transcript of the mission orders. It will be of great interest to read the part again where I specified that there would be no radio contact and under no circumstances respond to any pod beacons! You remember that part, don’t you, General?”

“Yes, Colonel.” The General stood at attention.

“And General....” Santiago continued, “ On your way to the Council Chamber, it would be wise to clean out your desk. Santiago out.”

The holograms faded. Santiago paced her office for a few minutes like a caged tiger, trying to get her temper under control. Finally she could contain herself no more and slammed her fist doen so hard on her desk the synthglass panel on her desktop comp screen cracked.

She wasn’t hungry anymore.

Comment

MIDDAY- Planetary News Network

The familiar face of Bradley Young graced the midday Vid broadcasts and citizens all over Planet tuned in. Young was an attactive middle aged man, with slightlty graying brown hair that gave him an air of authority. His voice was both deep but pleasant.

YOUNG: Good day to all. I’m Bradley Young and this is the Midday news capsule on PNN, the Planetary News Network, sponsored by Fung-Away, your best friend in cleaning out the toughest of fungus stains.

In the News this morning, an unexpected mindworm attack near Mendelev College today has left hundreds dead or injured. An Isle of the Deep floated to the coast and disgorged the aliens monsters, catching the base by suprise. The midworms were contained and destroyed by the University’s Trance Impact Garrison there, but heavy losses were incurred. An unnamed University spokesman told PNN that Provost Zakharov was deeply concerned and issued orders for a series of new sensor arrays to be built along the coast at once. The Provost also promised the citizens of Mendelev College that a sea former squadron would be dispatched to clear out the sea fungus beds near the base to help stamp out this kind of attack.

The Human Hive is celebrating today. Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang has signed a Traty of Friendship with the Spartan Federation, thus averting what might have been a bloody and brutal war. Both sides have stood down their armies and Chairman Yang was quoted as saying “I look forward to many years of trade and friendship with the Spartans. They are honorable warriors and much can be learned from them. Perhaps they will learn from us as well.” UN Peacekeeper Commisioner Pravin Lal and his staff, which helped mediate the treaty were a bit apprehensive about the sudden agreement. Lal was said to have his concerns about the police state governments both factions share.

And now, a special report. PNN has just recieved word that the protracted war between the Believers and Morgan Industries has come to an end. As you are aware, the dispute began when the Believer Sea Colony Pod was destroyed by a Morganite laser skimship flotilla. The believers were setting up a base in the Geothermal Shallows only a few miles off of the coast of Morgan Metallurgy. A deal was brokered early this morning. The Believers will share tehnical data on High Energy Chemistry with the Morganites in exchange for the right to establish a base there. We have CEO Morgan on the Morgan 3D vid link for a comment.

(The screen splits in half showing Morgan sitting in his office)

YOUNG: Mr. Morgan, can you hear me?
        MORGAN: (smiling broadly)Yes, Bradley....how are you today. Congratulaions o the addition to your family. I hear you have a new daughter.
        YOUNG: Thank you, sir. Yes, her name is Christine. She’s doing fine. Thank you for the wonderful doll you sent her and the card to my family. Mr. Morgan I know your time is limited so I’ll get right to the point. Many people feel that you gave in to the Believers request because you feared they would invade your territory and your military isn’t ready.
        MORGAN: (Chuckling) No, no. The Morganite Defense Forces are ready to meet any challenge. But war is the last resort in business. We simply felt that the Believers had a legitimate claim to the area. The Geothermal Shallows contains a huge source of energy that will help their lagging economy. By allowing them to set a base there, we help ourselves. The better their economy, the more trade we can expect from them. Plus it frees up Morganite resources to establish a much needed sea base in the kelp beds on our east coast.
        YOUNG: Sister Miriam was unavailable for comment, but let me ask you this, sir...in the past you and the Sister have been at odds. The Believers have declared vendettas on almost every faction in existance at one time or another. Do you think a sea base so close to your territory may constitute a threat in the future?
        MORGAN: Bradley, Bradley,...no. You’ve asked this before. I know that Miriam has her disagreements with Morganite practices, but I believe her to be a reasonable person. Our Treaty allows us to share a common business goal, one which the Believer’s economy needs immensely. They wouldn’t risk losing such a valuable source of income just because we don’t share their beliefs.
        YOUNG: So you don’t think that the Hedonistic Morganite lifestyle and the Believer’s strict fundamentalism will cause problems down the road?
        MORGAN: As with all relationships there will be growing pains, but I believe we can work past them. Since the Treaty has been signed Miriam has requested that I allow missionaries from her faction into Morganite Bases to preach and administer. I have no problem with that, since I thank the Almighty every day when I look at the Merchant Exchange results.
        YOUNG: (Laughs) One more question, Mr. Morgan....who are you rooting for in the Planetball competition this evening? Word has it that you’ve laid a heavy bet on UN Olive Branches against the Gaian Cornacopias.
        MORGAN: (Laughs heartily) I wouldn’t have done so if the Morgan Simoleons had made the championship. But you’re right, Bradley. The Olive Brances will take the game. Would you like to wager on it?
        YOUNG: No sir, we all know that you never lose a bet. Thats about all of our time. Thank you, CEO Morgan for granting us this interview. Take care.
        MORGAN: Thank you for having me, Bradley. Good day, and remember, by Morgan Brau...the only real beer on planet!

(Split screen ends leaving only Bradley Young)

YOUNG: Thats it for PNN’s Midday report. Stay tuned to this vid channel for the season premiere of Recon Rover Rick, brought to you by none other than Morgan Toys. I’m Bradley Young, and to all a Good Day.

Comment

EARLY AFTERNOON- Working Man’s Hold

Dr. Armand Gee faced the two men sitting across the table from him. The room was empty except for the chairs and table, sterile and bright. The only other person in the room was a security guard that stood by the door, rifle in hand.

“What is your name?” Dr. Gee asked the man to the right.

“I am Chief Warrant Officer Enrico Sanchez of the FD 2nd Rover Squadron.” The man answered.

“What is your name?” Gee asked the other man.

“I am Chief Warrant Officer Enrico Sanchez of the FD 2nd Rover squadron.”

Dr. Gee sighed and sat back in his chair. He scribbled something on his datapad and began asking a series of questions. Both me answered identically. He knew they would. The looked the same. They acted the same. Even when seperated they answered the same. Every member of the Free Drone 2nd Rover Squadron and their doppleganger acted in this manner.

In an adjacent room Foreman Domai and Underforeman Victor M’ Busa watched on a secret monitor. With them was Major Gregory Franklin, security chief of this base, Working Man’s Hold.

“So every single member of that squadron came back with a duplicate?” Domai asked.

“Yes, its the damndest thing.” M’Busa whispered his answer. He was a man of few words, slight of build, shaved head and dark skin. “They were on a routine patrol when they recieved a ping on the scanner. A pod beacon or so they thought. Our sensors tracked them until they got to its location and then there was an energy surge. The sensors overloaded and by the time the backups came on line they were heading back to base...only instead of one rover squadron there were two!”

“What could have caused this?” The Foreman asked both men.

“Listen...Dr. Gee is asking him what happened now.” M’Busa said turning the volume up just a notch.

“Gentlemen, tell me what happened to you yesterday night.” Dr. Gee queried the two identical men.

Both men, dressed in identical uniforms leaned forward and began to speak, interrupting each other. The Sanchez on the left nodded to the one on the right and said “You tell him...again.”

Sanchez began, “We were investigating a pod beacon. The squadron drove into the area the signal was coming from but we didn’t see it....we figured it might have been a false beacon...that happens when an alien monolith is near, but we didn’t see that either. Suddenly the air started to shimmer in front of us...it was all of a sudden like looking into a mirror....it looked like another rover squadron was driving toward us, but it was just our reflection off of...something.”

The other Sanchez added excitedly, “Then there was a blue flash! Our sensors were fried. But the reflections just popped out of thin air....then there two of us! I mean of the squadron.”

Dr. Gee scribbled some more notes. “So which one of you is the real Sanchez and which is the duplicate?”

“ME!” Both men shouted in unison. Clearly they were frustrated.

Back in the adjacent room Major Franklin spoke to Domai. “We’ve got them all, both squadrons confined to the barracks. Every single one of them claims to be the “real” person. Medical tests confirm their identities down to thew cellular level. Personally I think its a new weapon...a trick by the Hive to get us!”

“Thats ridiculous, Franklin!” M’Busa said, “ Why would the Hive increase or forces?” M’Busa turned to Domai, who was nearly a foot taller than he. “Domai, I’ve spoken with Prof. Larchwood at University Base. The UoP is being stingy with data right now, but he’s an old friend so he took my call. This has happened before to one of their scout patrols a few years back.

“The eggheads call it a dimensional rift. Something on the Planet causes random rips in the time space continuum. What these me saw was a dimensional hole...a parallel reality where everything is a mirror image of our reality. the extra rover battalion...whichever it is.....drove through the rip. Thats how they got here. Our own scientists agree with that.”

“You mean one of those men is an alternate version of Warrant Officer Sanchez?” Domai pointed at the monitor. “Shouldn’t he be evil or something, then? Like the episode of Recon Rover Rick where he fell into the dimensinal gap and found all of his friends were evil on the other side and the mindworms were good?”

Franklin rolled his eyes. Domai wasn’t as stupid as people made him out to be, but he could say some dopey things at times. M’Busa sighed too. Sometimes Domai would act brainless just for the hell of it and sometimes he really didn’t have a clue. The problem was no one knew when he was acting or when he was serious.

“No, Foreman, no....” M’Busa continued, “Its a mirror image dimension. Maybe one tiny thing in the entire universe is different, like in their universe you had eggs for breakfast instead of just coffee. But the men and their duplicates all answered every question the same, everything. Personal questions, the political atmosphere right now, the date, the places...everything. And the transcript Larchwood sent me from the UoP has the same results. None of these men are lying because they are who they say they are!”

“Then this is wonderful!” Domai boomed, throwing his massive arm around M’busa. “We can doubleour troop strength instantly! How do we replicate this dimensional rift?”

“We can’t.” M’Busa said, freeing himself from Domai’s unwanted friendly gesture. “No one can. Its a completely random event.”

Domai looked disappointed for two seconds. “Well, at least now we have more than we started with. Major Franklin, its wrong to keep those men confined. They haven’t done anything wrong, and I can’t think of anything more boring than being locked in te barracks playing checkers with myself. Let them go free and resume thier duties.”

“Um...Foreman...theres a problem with that.” the Major answeredpointing at the screen.

In the other room Dr. Gee continued with his questions. “If I were to let you both go free now, what would you do?”

“Go home to my wife, Marie!” said Sanchez on the left.
          “She’s my wife, you stay away from her!” sanchez on the right protested angrily.
          “Look, I married her....I’m the one that bought her a new hover car Planetfall Day!” Left Sanchez screamed.
          “You?” Right Sanchez shouted, “I bought it! You were in another dimension, fungus brain!”
          “No I wasn’t you were!”
          “Not me, You!”

“By Chiron, they all do this when I ask that.” Dr. Gee sighed and put his head on the desk.

Domai looked at Major Franklin. “Belay that order. Better call the Psych Chaplian. And tell her to bring all of her assistants.”

Comment

MIDAFTERNOON- Gaia’s Landing

Lady Diedre Skye was in a pretty bad mood, but she still managed to be pleasant towards people and maintain her remarkable beauty. wearing a loose fitting green dress, with her long dark hair in a ponytail, she strode into the conference room for her meeting with Karl Trokovsky, the Minister of Agriculture, and Sula Jackson, the Minister of Environmental Affairs.

Diedre was in poor mood because she really wanted to take the day off and relax in the garden. Her schedule had been full for nearly three weeks and she had only managed a few scant hours in that time to rest. However, she couldn’t ignore her ministers. They had scheduled this meeting a week in advance.

Diedre nodded to the ministers as she took her seat at the large oak table. Karl picked up a tea kettle and poured her a cup. Diedre nodded her thanks as he handed it to her.

“Do you want the good news or the bad news first?” Karl asked. His thin face was clean shaven and he looked funny with his large glasses. Karl was one of the few people that refused to have corrective surgey on his eyesight, preferring his glasses instead.

“Good news,” Diedre said, “Suprise me.”

“Excellent.” Karl took his seat and pressed a button in front of him, on a console built into the table. The large screen on the far wall came to life. It was one of the few things about the room that looked unnatural. Almost everything else was made of wood or created in the image of wood. On the screen was a computer image of the Gaian base Virgin Soil.

“Virgin Soil has produced bumper crops this year.” Karl said smiling. We estimate that the base has made enough food this year alone to feed the citizens for the next ten planet years.”

“Uh, oh.” Sula muttered. “You know what that means?”

Karl nodded to her, “Yes. The population of the base is going to explode because of this. Right now Virgin Soil doesn’t have the infrastructure to care for many more people....but our computer estimates show that the base will add at least another fifteen hundred people to the population in the next 14 months.”

“Not a problem,” Deidre said sipping her tea. “ The Council has set aside funds for emergencies like that. Contact the Base Governor and have him spend whatever it takes to finish the Network Node facilities....then have him spend the rest to hurry construction of the hab complex. He should be able to finish it before overcrowding becomes a problem.”

“Bravo, Milady. It will be done.” Karl answered.

“Now, Sula...I take it you have dire news, by the look on your face.” Deidre smiled at Sula as if to say “its alright, just tell me.”

Sula was a good minister...she was young, energetic and proud of her work. She pressed a button on her console and the screen changed to a view of Free Drone Central.

“This is recon footage taken by our infiltrator at Free Drone Central. If you’ll focus your attention to the the Terraforming Crew behind the mining works.” Sula focused the image more clearly.

Karl gasped aloud. Diedre stood halfway from her chair, a look of shock on her face. “They’re digging ANOTHER BOREHOLE!”

“By Chiron,” Karl whispered, “Thats the fourth one!”

“Correct.” Sula continued, “The Drones are creating a ‘borehole park’ on the outskirts of the base perimeter. They’re using robot crawlers to ferry the minerals and they’ve assigned a roving patrol to protect the area from mindworm attacks. We estimate that this borehole, coupled with the three that Yang has created this year, and the massive amounts of pollution that the Drone bases are spilling out, global warming will become a significant problem within the next forty planet years.”

“Forgive me, milady, but didn’t you already speak with Foreman Domai about his industrial practices?” Karl asked Diedre.

“Aye.” Diedre answered him. Karl knew she was now angry because her accent became more pronounced. It always did when she became angry. “He replied in a personal letter to me ‘Thank you for your concern over our industrial techniques, Lady Skye, but we need no assistance at this time.’....which was a polite way of saying ‘Stick it up your arse, you nosy tree hugging *****’.”

“It gets worse, Dee.” Sula added, “The Hive has sent a few terraforming crew east of the Huddling of the People and our intel shows they plan on creating two more boreholes! Its obvious that both sides are gearing production for war. The blood truce between the Hive and the Drones expires shortly and they’ll probably resume fighting the instant its over. And we know that Chairman Yang isn’t going to listen to reason. The only reason he signed a Treaty with us was too keep us out of the way while he went after Domai.”

Diedre sat down and rubbed her chin. The Drones were worse polluters than Morgan. But if the Gaians attacked them the Hive would certainly join in and try to destroy them. No one deserved to be be swallowed up by Yang’s brutal police state, Deidre thought. The Gaian military couldn’t fight both the Hive and the Drones at the same time either. But Diedre had an idea.

“Recently we came into possession of an alien artifact.” Diedre said, “Our experts learned some alien technology from it that they call Adaptive Economics. The new but small faction, the Cybernetic Consciousness is always in the market for new technology and they share a border with the hive. So far Yang has left them alone because they guard the border carefully and they are excellent fighters. I think we should offer them this technology if they’ll agree to attack Yang.”

“Milady!” Karl protested. “That would put us at war with the Hive too!”

“Yes....but Yang can’t reach us at this point. The Cyborgs would sink any ships heading past their coast if they were at war with Yang. Plus, we all know Domai will be quick to jump on the Hive if Yang’s forces are diverted.”

“It would be suicide for the Drones.” Sula interrupted. “ They don’t have the military strength to defeat Yang. They might take a chunk out him though.”

“Exactly.” Deidre acknowledged, “ All three sides will pummell each other. We can then use our mindworm corps to destroy Yang’s boreholes. He’ll most likely sue for peace or at least a truce when he’s under attack from three directions. But by then we’ll have accomplished our goal. Then while Domai is licking his wounds we can use the mindworms to destroy his ‘borehole park’. Domai is terrified of the mindworms. When he sees what our demon boils and spore launchers can do he’ll give in. He’ll be in no shape to resist after fighting Yang...and he will take the bait. Domai is as sharp as a planet ball.”

“Its risky.” Karl said, wiping his glasses.

“Aye, it is that.” Diedre consented, “But we have to do this in order to preserve Planet. If we wait both the Drones and the Hive will be too powerful to stop and the global damage will have begun. Are we in agreement?”

“Aye!” Sula and Karl both said.

“Good.” Diedre rose and her ministers rose, “At 1800 we’ll meet here with the Full Staff and the Military Command Leaders. I want you both her with your notes. Karl, we’ll need to make sure that our outer bases can sustain themselves in case Yang does manage to land near them. Sula, we’ll need all the information on the mining locations for the Hive and the Drones. Contact me if you have any questions or problems. Walk with the planet.”

“Walk with the Planet.” The Ministers said in unison, and left Deidre alone in the room. Deidre watched the footage of the borehole being dug again, and bitterly regretted what she was about to do. She swore an oath in gaelic and then turned the monitor off.

Comment

EARLY EVENING- Planetary Network News

UN Data Acquisition was chosen this year to host the Planetball championship. As many viewers tuned in to watch the match, the familiar face of Bradley Young appeared.

YOUNG: We interrupt the Planetball Championship for a special announcement. New Jerusalem is in mourning. Sister Miriam has confirmed that Beck, the Artisan has died today, at home with his family of complications caused by the rare sickness of Chironian Blood Fever. Many of you out there, no doubt don’t know who Beck the Artisan was, but you see his work everyday.

Antonio Beck was a mission engineer aboard the Unity. His skills and techniques in Habitat Engineering were lauded by rival factions for decades. It was Beck that designed most of the cathedrals and buildings in the Believer Faction. His method of adding art and design with technology helped create some of the most beautiful, functional and sturdy bases on Planet and were copied and imitated by every other faction. Beck is survived by his wife, Anna and three children, Marcus, Joshua and Brian.

We now go to a live announcement from the Grand Cathedral in New Jerusalem, by Sister Miriam Godwinson, in progress....

(Screen cuts to Miriam in the pulpit of the Grand Cathedral, mid-speech)

...Beck was not the kind of a man to let adversity stand in the way ofg his work. Many times I spoke with him about the intricate designs of his architecture, and how he was putting himself in danger by taking the extra time to make the city beautiful when a mindworm attack may occur and destroy him and his crew, while they went with colony pods to found new bases. Beck always said “Miriam, If God wants to bring me home it doesn’t matter where I am or what I’m doing.”

(Tears roll down Miriams face)

Beck was my dear friend. I send out my condolences to his family and I urge all of you to pray for them tonight. Tomorrow will be a factional day of mourning. Funeral Services will be carried out here in the Grand Cathedral. We will Cherish the memory of Beck and thank God to have sent us such a remarkable man.

(Screen cuts back to Young)

YOUNG: Again, Beck the Artisan, has died at the age of 82. Well, estimated 82. We’ve learned that Beck underwent one regen treatment in his life. We now resume our broadcast of the Planetball Championship...The Olive Branches vs the Cornucopias.

PRIVATE MESSAGES TO NEW JERUSALEM C/O Sister Miriam Godwinson

Message one: Prokhor Zakharov, Provost, University of Planet

Miriam

I know we haven’t seen eye to eye on many issues, but please accept my sorrow at the loss of your friend, Beck the Artisan. I met him once at a UN symposium on Environmental Systems and Base Construction. A most intelligent and enlightened man. We all owe him a great debt. If there is anything I can do, contact me.

Sincerely,

Prokhor Zakharov.

Message two: Pravin Lal, Commisioner of the UN Peacekeeping Forces.

Sister Miriam

Allow me to send my condolences on the death of Artisan Beck. I have spoken with him at length about his work and considered him a friend also. My aides are working on a cure for Chironian Blood Fever that I will be glad to share with you when it is complete. The Medical staff at UN Health Authority is at your disposal should you ask for our help. May God keep you safe.

Lal

Message Three: Aki-Zeta Five, Prime Function The Cybernetic Consciousness

Sister Miriam

Though we do not comprehend this emotional response the loss of Beck the Artisan has been felt by us. Beck’s designson atmosphere reprocessors were decades ahead of their time. His death leaves a gap in the endeavor for technical perfection. For this we will miss him.

Aki-Zeta 5

Message Four: Nwabudike Morgan, CEO Morgan Industries

My dear Miriam

The death of Beck is indeed a sorrowful occassion. Allow me to pay me respects by sharing the cost of the funeral arrangements. It was Beck that provided the design schematics for the Morgan Arms Hotels. We all owe him a debt for showing that technology and luxurious comfort can be combined to create art. Beck will be sorely missed.

PS: I’m also sending via special courier, floral arrangements of Synth roses to his family.

Your friend,

N. Morgan

Message Five: Lady Diedre Skye, The Stepdaughters of Gaia

Miriam

My sorrow over Beck’s untimely death. I realize you don’t want to speak with me right now, but I share your grief. I knew Beck from the days before we left earth. He was a wonderful man and skilled engineer. Please except this and the Dozens of real roses grown hear in Gaia’s Landing for the funeral. If you need to talk, please call me. It is time we put aside our differences and made the kind of world Beck envisioned, one of beauty.

Walk with the Planet.

Deidre.

Message Six: Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, The Human Hive

Sister Miriam

I too, feel the loss of Beck. He was kind enough to advise my own artisans on pressure resistant structures while constructing The Leader’s Horde. A most remarkable mind.

In his honor I have ordered a full rest cycle for all drones during the funeral proceedings tomorrow. I regret that the broadcast will not be shown here due to security reasons, the Hive will not forget Beck and his many contibutions to our society.

Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang

Message Seven: Corazon Santiago, Colonel and Commander in Chief, Spartan Federation

Miriam

Beck was the best at what he did and his designs are invaluable. His technigques have been required learning at the Spartan Corps of Engineers Academy since planetfall. Accept my condolences at his loss.

Santiago.

No Further messages.

Comment

EVENING- Noah’s Rainbow

The outer docking ring of Noah’s Rainbow was a dreary place, really. Even for the Believers, who usually kept their bases sparkling and shining, the outer docks were dirty and grimy. Or perhaps it was the cloud cover and the light rain that made Fergus MacDougal think that way. As a morganite he was used to a certain standard.

It was against Believer Doctrine to drink alchoholic beverages except in certain areas. But the outer docks were full of seedy bars where it was perfectly legal. Most Believing citizens frowned on drinking, but the outer docks were mostly populated by drones or fishermen....the sort that had no problem having a few morgan bruas or fungal rum before midnight mass.

It was easy to get into the base now that the Morganites and the Believers had a treaty. Fergus even came in on his own small yacht. He had gotten lucky a year earlier at a casino in Morgan Entertainment and made enough energy credits to purchase a small yacht/foil. His friends said he was crazy. Most people wouldn’t want a small ship like that for luxury. Where are you going to sail it? The open sea where sealurks and Iod’s roam? Civilian vessels were unarmed. But Fergus had a little racket going on, one made easier by the treaty.

He made a good living as a software technician, but he made an even better living as dealer in black market software. In the last gfew months he had amassed a small private fortune by dealing with Abraham, a Believing citizen that sold the illegal software to a growing number of believing citizens. Fergus arrived in Noah’s ainbow telling the perimeter patrols he was just visiting a friend and when he heard the news on his vid link, that he was going to attend the prayer mass for Beck the artisan. His ship was scanned of course, as he passed the perimeter gate, but the believers were still using old DS.1 scanners, easy to fool with Fergus’ knowledge of technology. No one had any idea what was in the case he carried with him. Fergus docked his ship and waited until dark. Then he put on his scrubber (The outer docking ring was open air) not his nice comfortable Morgan brand Oxy Master 4000, but a cheaper breathdealer 1000, manufactured by the Drones. He didn’t want to look out of place.

Walking along the grey and dreary dock he entered a small pub called simply The Pit Stop. As he was told it was empty except for two men. Abraham, a middle aged grizzled looking man and a younger fellow Fergus came to know as Ted. They were sitting at a corner table, Abraham nursing a glass of rum and Ted reading “Zen and the Art of Rover Maintenance” on a data pad.

“You’re late.” Abraham said when he saw Fergus enter. “We almost had to leave. The owner of this fine establishment has to be ready for business in an hour. He’s only letting us conduct business here as long as he gets a cut and as long as we make it fast.”

“Sorry.” Fergus said sitting at the table. He put the briefcase on the table. Ted looked up at him.

“This is the merchandise?” Abraham asked.

“Its some merchandise,” Fergus told him, “Not the merchandise. I couldn’t get the holovids of Naked Chiron Women in the Moonsoon Jungle. But I got something better.”

Abraham opened the case. Inside, arranged neatly were dozens of holovid disks. X rated holovid disks, by Believer law. There was a demand for it, but owning it carried a stiff penalty for Believers. Abraham picked one up and read the tiny label.

“Whoa,” he said in his gruff voice, “The Horny Cyborg Series! Yeah, you’re right Fergus. People have been pestering me for months for this! It’ll go for twice my usual price!”

“Theres more.” Fergus said removing the scrubber tube from his nostrils. Damn thing was uncomfortable and unneeded inside of the pub. “I got the virtual reality game you’ve all been wanting. I arranged for a shipment to...uh, lets say the inventory shows it was lost in a fire.”

Abraham looked in the rear of the case. Sure enough there were stacks of virtual reality games disks, each the same size of the holovids, about a half inch in diameter. He picked up one and his eyes widened. “Sweet Jesus! You got copies of “Diedre, Love Slave of Planet!” ! This game is banned almost everywhere except Morganite territory and Free Drone territory!”

“Yeah....” Fergus grinned, “ The Gaians went thermal when they heard of it. It gets better. You pop this disk into a VR player and you can have Diedre, or you can switch it to mud wrestling with Colonel Santiago. Also, and onlty if you’re into that sort of thing, you can put Diedre and Santiago in the Lagoon scenario and watch them...uh, go at it. Theres also a sim of Svengaard for the ladies.”

“Here,” Abraham handed Ted the disk, “Check it out.”

Ted reached into his coat and produced a Disk Reader, a small device used to check authenticity of software. He popped the disk in and tapped a few parameters on the control. A few seconds later the machiine chirped. “Its good, Abe. Its just what he says it is.”

“Goddamn skippy, Teddy. Now, Abe wheres my money?” Fergus said.

Abe handed him a credit chip. “Its all there. Plus a little more. We’ve done good business, Fergus, but this is our last deal for a few months. Believing Security is getting close to my operation. I’ve got word they’ve put The Confessors on the case. Gotta lay low for awhile after this. Let things cool off.”

“What the hell is a Confessor? Some kinda church thing?” Fergus asked sliding his payment into his inner jacket pocket. Ted and Abraham noted that he had a shredder pistol in a shoulder holster when he did this. But then they were all armed underneath their jackets.

“We’re believers, laddy...” Abraham replied. “Everything here is ‘church thing’. But to answer your question, the Confessors are a branch of the Believer Enforcement Police. They only call on them when the regulars aren’t getting anywhere. They’re dangerous, too. Empowered by doctrine to grant absolution and execute criminals like us.”

“Hmmm....” Fergus murmered. “Well, then I’ll be going. I’ve got to book a hotel room the night...it’ll look suspicious if I leave the base right away. I’ll contact you when the heat dies down.”

Abraham grunted his assent and closed the case.

“Don’t worry Fergus, your room is already prepared.” Ted said. Abraham and Fergus turned to look at him; Ted was already standing and holding his shredder pistol on them. “You were wrong, Abe....the BEP didn’t just recently assign a Confessor to your case, I’ve been with you from the start. Don’t bother running gentlemen, the building is surrounded outside.”

“You son of a...” Abraham started.

“Be quiet, Abraham....on top of your dealing in illegal and immoral software, you’ve already got 720 counts of blaspheming against the Lord...yes, I’ve been counting since we first met. Will you confess your sins?”

“I’ll feed your scrawny neck to the worms!” Abraham shouted and leapt out of his seat reaching for his shredder. But it was a stupid move, as Ted was already poised to fire. Without a change of expression Ted fired and hit abraham dead in the center of his head. Parts of his skull cracked open and brain matter spashed onto the walls. Abraham was dead before his body hit the floor.

“Excommunication complete.” Ted said dryly.

Fergus didn’t move. He still sat in his chair and raised his hands. “Hey, I’m a Morganite! I don’t have to Confess. Just send me to the Morganite Embassy.”

“Negative, Fergus MacDougal....” Ted levelled his weapon at Fergus as several Believer Enforcement Police rushed in the front and back doors. “You have been accused of peddling illegal software on Believer territory. You’ve also used illegal scanning shields to bypass security....yes, we know about that. We let you believe you were fooling us to see how deep your sins ran. Will you confess your sins?”

“You can’t kill me! I’m not a Believer citizen!” Fergus yelled as a policewoman came over and removed his weapon. Another policeman picked up the case and put in a vacuum evidence bag. Yet a third one bound his hands in plasma steel cuffs.

“You won’t be killed.” Ted assured him, holstering his shredder. “We let you go on for months while we tracked all of your contacts and Abraham’s buyers. You will confess your crimes to the Marshal Archbishop and then you will be sentenced here, since you were apprehended in a Believer Base. I believe in your case 2 days in a punishment sphere and fifteen years in the Uranium Mining Prison Facility is standard.”

“What!? You can’t be serious!” Fergus screamed and wet his pants. Ted looked down at the disgusting trickle with a sickened look.

“Its better than being nerve stapled.” Ted said. “Take him away.”

The female officer led Fergus outside, the whole time he protested and demanded to speak with the Morganite ambassador.

“Good job, Confessor Drake.” The leader odf the Enforcement team walked obver to Ted and congratulated him. “It took a long time but we’ve rounded up Abraham’s other confederates and caught the Morganite trader to boot. God be praised.”

“Yes.” Ted said blandly. “Sergeant I need a few of your men to come with me. The owner of this bar is in violation fpr allowing Abraham to use it to conduct his crimes. I have his address. Its time for him to confess his sins.”

LATE EVENING

As night fell where we began, UN HQ, Scientists were working on breeding the perfect vermin killing cat. Lal was not pleased to have used his probe teams on the UoP when they were supposedly allies, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Jeff Smith recieved a letter of commendation for his idea. John Killian was awarded the UN Superior Service pin for his involvement.

Sebastian Leer’s wife was upset but understanding of his new assignment. She had complained when he came home about the rising prices of Planet Melons, which were Sebastian Junior’s favorite treat. When Leer told her the news she realized how important it was. Leer gave his son his birthday present early. A complete collection of Recon Rover Rick’s adventure on holovid disk.

Corazon Santiago appointed General Shore to replace General Loomis. Then she had a steak dinner.

Lady Skye made a pact of sisterhood with Aki-Zeta five. The cyborgs were eager for allies, since they feared the hive...at least as much as the cyborgs felt fear. But Aki-Zeta asked Diedre for more time before launching an assualt as her forces were not ready. Chairman Yang so far, has not learned of the conspiracy against him and Domai certainly hasn’t either.

Nwabudike Morgan increased the budget to his probe teams and police forces. When he heard that a Morganite citizen was selling illegal software to the believers he wrote a letter of apology to Miriam. He also informed the Believers that when Fergus MacDougal’s sentence was done there, he would be retried by Morganite law. Fergus is looking at another twenty years in Prison Waste Reclamation at Morgan Industries.

Sister Miriam Godwinson visited the family of Beck the Artisan. She returned to her private apartments, prayed and went to bed.

Comment

Working...
                X