Comments: Alpha Centauri - Tides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments: Alpha Centauri - Tides

(Only have time to post this, gonna go play SMAC )
    (Comment away! The thread's somewhere down there, give it a read!)
    Venom: Hey! Where's Spider-Wuss? Spider-Wuss! Spider-Wuss! Come out and plaaayyyy!
    (Spider-Man conks Venom on the head)
    Spidey: Tag!
    -- Spider-Man, PSX

You can count me out of this story for the meantime, because I can't get a feel for it. I have never claimed to be able to write well, but my prose always lacks 'the zest' common to most AC fiction.

I'd prefer to write a popular science version of Nonlinear Genetics, like the version without the fractal geometry. Nice. (I hope that's allowed on the Apolyton forum.)

Will still be reading 'Tides' though.

Alynzia.

Comment

Can I make a sugestion? Let's reduce inter faction relations to the limit, at least in the beginning and at least with factions writers control.

Not trying to control this thread, just sugesting.
      Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their laws, we lie.

Comment

Suggestion: Approved

Agreement: Aktarian. Suggestion: No mingling for long time. Reason: possibility to develop characters and pure simplicity. Reaction: near applause. Progenitor communications style: not difficult to use, but easier to misuse. I: Believers. Start: I have mine already made. Read. Writer control: Nazism Remember: Chiron Chronicles earlier parts. New part: going to rule! No offence: earlier CC writers.
        Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

With this no faction mingling rule, I need to know what killed Parrot's Landing? Mind Worms are out of the question, and I haven't defined anything specific yet, but it must be human. Or maybe this mystery could be resolved later on. Anyway, now to background check the Pirates. Be back soon.
          "There are two kinds of scientific progress: the methodical experimentation and categorization which gradually extend the boundaries of knowledge, and the revolutionary leap of genius which redefines and trandscends these boundaries. Acknowledging our debt to the former, we yearn nonetheless to the latter."-Academician Prokhor Zakhrov, "Address to the Faculty"

Comment

I've decided to use the Usurpers as those who killed the base. I won't give too much away yet, but basically there is no real contact, so the anti-contact rule will still be in place. And if you're wondering why I won't use direction in my writing, I am waiting for more exploration to be done before I can definitely say what is north/south/east/west so i am using the compas at Safe Haven that has fore/aft/starboard/port (for the time being)
            "There are two kinds of scientific progress: the methodical experimentation and categorization which gradually extend the boundaries of knowledge, and the revolutionary leap of genius which redefines and trandscends these boundaries. Acknowledging our debt to the former, we yearn nonetheless to the latter."-Academician Prokhor Zakhrov, "Address to the Faculty"

Comment

Few things.

I think we need some more activity. I know my story started quite advanced compared to everyone else's, but I couldn't find any background info on the Pirates, or at least any relating to planetfall or the unity. However, I have been online a few tmes in the last two days, and all the time there have been no more additions from people other than me. I could write a full post about the Crestrider, but i want to see the other threads develop a bit first (don't want to seem like i'm bragging, just a bit bored).

Secondly, I think we need a plan. We should probably get thorugh planetfall quickly, and do some exploring, maybe set up one or two more bases. I'm going to take Isle of Deianira for my land bases, as it's out of the way, and close to where I think Parrot Landing should have been. But what happens after Planetfall and the exploring? And how will the factions relate?

Comment

I think faction relations should be agreed upon between those writers controlling them (private message or something). PM if you want to make contact with Spartans. Maybe wes hould decide where each faction is on the map. Original map, right?
                Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their laws, we lie.

Comment

I'm not sure how the Pirates should relate. Maybe they could ally with Santiago-the Spartans have a large ground army, and the Pirates have a large naval fleet. They bith choose Power,so it could make sense. They'd leave most of the others alone, as the University, Morganites, Gaians and Consciousness wouldn't interest them. They wouldn't like the PK, Hive or aliens. The others I'm not so sure about

Comment

I always considered Gaians and Spartans close and sort of natural allies. I don't know about new factions though. Haven't played SMAX yet. But if you want to befriend Spartans and Pirates PM me so we can work something out.

Comment

Not yet. It depends on a lot of factors, the Pirates being erratic, however I definitely won't like the Believers or Yang 9sorry to those controlling them, but there's nothing i can really do)

Comment

We'll Sealurk, I don't care much about Pirates

I have so far concentrated only on internal Believer matters. Where are the others? Others then Aktarian and Lurk?
                        Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Well I've been reading and would like to do a bit more Morgan, but I'll warn you I'm not going put much effort in. Just a few facts and stuff, it's not as if anybody else wants to get their dirty hands on Nwabudike. I merely want to write some impossibly demented characters and see what the Morganites get up to running their empire because whenever they're in a game, and I'm not playing them, they always seem to get their butts whipped! Actually it's when I'm playing them too. Sob!

As for where is everybody... there are only six of us playing/writing right?

Can I make a suggestion, that we date our work precisely from Planetfall (in Mission Years) because we are all writing on different time scales and it's monster confusing to read.

I agree about the contact rule, and it's not as if Sealurk had diplomatic relations with the Usurpers because, to my knowledge, the Pirates do not have Progenitor Psych and the Usurpers do not have Social Psych.

I, on the other hand, would not be adverse to finding a Unity pod with say someone's comm frequency in. This can be more useful than a pod containing data because you can exchange maps, technology and perhaps even sign a treaty, which is good for me because of my commerce driven society.

Just thoughts, feel free to ignore me, I have only written once.

[[BTW, kassiopeia, your The Homeworld story is really innovative]]

Comment

(Thanks Aly! Two Houses was really good!)

I'm running currently on MY 2101, so it seems that I need to do some editing
                            And what comes to contacts, I wouldn't mind finding out someones comm freq.
                            Should we have a map, to agree on bases, amounts of them, locations and such?

Comment

Currently in late MY 2101, but once that transport's gone down (in about an hour) things should slow down.

As to the Comm frequencies and communication, I shouldn't have any contacts until around MY 2108 (as no other interesting factions should have sea units)

Comment

Working...
                              X