Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finding 'canon' information on the SMAC universe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding 'canon' information on the SMAC universe?

First of all, I have to admit that I'm extremely new in the world of SMAC and started playing it only a couple of weeks ago. Surprisingly, I've became very interested in the universe the game and the novels take place in. In fact, I even feel tempted to try my hand at writing fiction set in the Alpha Centauri world, as I feel that the universe lends it extremely well to storytelling. While I plan to do it for my own enjoyment only and realize that that the results will be less than mediocre, owing to my lack of previous experience and most notably skill, I'd still like to try.

Now, writing what basically amounts to 'fan-fiction' is something that hadn't even crossed my mind in years of gaming, but I digress.

In any case, my plans thankfully aren't overly ambitious and I don't aim for fame and glory. In fact, I don't think that I'll be publishing (for a lack of better word) whatever I may eventually come up with.

What I intend to do is to continue playing SMAC and write a short AAR (after-action report) on a role playing wise interesting situation that develops during the game, then save it, only to find it a few months later and delete it in embarrassment.

I have been trying to locate information on Chiron, the various factions, their living conditions and other bits and pieces that would help me into making the story as 'realistic' as possible and it seems that Michael Ely's books are on of the main sources for this kind of information.

Unfortunately, it looks like the books have been out of print for quite a while and used copies aren't exactly cheap. (I saw the 3rd book going for $90 in some place online.)

What other sources should I look into to find at least some information on Chiron? What I had in mind was information on the planet and the factions (social/economic/military structure, base design, the applications and implications of in-game technology, etc)

Hi yellowyellow and welcome to Apolyton Civilization Site.
    The best source for information is GURPS Alpha Centauri, although it might not cover all the information you need. Ely's book recieved some criticism for one dimensional portrayal of characters and uninventiveness. You should consult some older stories like Joe or Spartan Chronicles for ideas. You could also check the link in my signature.
    Last edited by Illuminatus; November 21, 2005, 02:35.
    SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Unfortunately, it looks like the books have been out of print for quite a while and used copies aren't exactly cheap. (I saw the 3rd book going for $90 in some place online.)
      What the heck! That's insane! Have you checked Amazon- I own books 1 and 2 and purchased them in stores just 3 years ago, IIRC. It can't be that difficult to locate!

As for canon information- on Sid Meier's site I think they still have the original alpha centauri story of how the factions originated- keep in mind though that Zakharov was originally known as Sakharov in the original storyline before the game was produced.

I think the story runs 10-20 pages long- it's quite interesting and was written as a promotional item to pique interest in the game.
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
      X