• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer Support Service

User Support Service

Frequently Asked Questions

*What are Chiron Archives?

With the advent of aquisition of amazing technology about networks of information, technological future of our faction indeed seems bright. But before we start connecting computers on a faction-wide scale, we will need to test it.
    Several talents have recently been petitioning to create an institution that would preserve and archive relevant works from fields of arts and present them in accessible way to general public. Our group has decided to honour their request by showing intiative and starting the creation of Chiron Archives.
    In theory, Chiron Archives are a centralized database preserving location and information about thousands of art accomplishments since the Planetfall that will be possible to use via computer. However, a lot of work needs to be done to complete this project. Several base governors have already prepared to build network nodes in their bases as points of access for general population. While infrastucture is on the way, software is already available. Recently aquired technology already provides us with means needed to link all computers into a single, Information Network (additional networks can be created if need arises). However adapting University software for this purpose is not an easy way. Before Chiron Networks are fully operational we will need a lot of testing. Once complete, we may even ask our faction leader to give it a somewhat top priority status.

*What system are Chiron Archives currently running?

Chiron Archives are currently using Planetary Networks v2.0021 (Chiron Planetary Archives v2.0021).

*Will there be patches and updates for Chiron Archives?

Most certainly yes. We will try to revisit the archives on a daily basis. Our first patch is already being worked on, and should solve dead links in the database. Our second patch will adress the problem of formatting. If you spot any bugs, please report them here.

*Do you plan on adding any new features in future?

Once again, most certainly yes. We are already researching the possiblity of applying Planetary Networks (which are in possesion of some factions) to Chiron Information Archives, thus creating Chiron Planetary Archives. We believe that Planetary Networks would have enormous benefits on database grouping and overall formatting and interface. It will take some time to aquire and apply that technology to Chiron Information Archives.
    However, if we listen to some of our scientists which claim that it is possible to develop Polymorphic Software, there might be even more updates in future. Polymorphic Software would be able to search and add even new databases, including reviews and comments on all fiction already contained in Chiron Archives. Chiron Polymorphic Archives is near future.
    But then, some are already planning to develop software that will enable us to add even more features to Chiron Information Archives, like short descriptions, links to writer profiles and more. Hope that our wise and benevolent faction leader will dedicate as much energy as possible to research or energy credits and agents to “research”, in order for us to aquire means to upgrade the database and add new features.

*How long will it take you to upgrade Chiron Archives?

Due to constraints on our resources and time limits, we are afraid that it will take entire years before we can apply any newly discovered technology to Chiron Archives. We presume once every seven Chiron cycles.

*Why do you use so much of Planet Operational Server Terminals (commonly abbreviated to POST) for your archives?

Our beta version already contains around 26, 000 megabytes of information. When we add all new planned features in near future, it will have at least thrice that amount of data. We also need the free capacity for databases of future fiction. To ensure sufficent amount of space for future, 200, 000 megabytes will be required, or 10 POSTs.

*Why do you insist on not asking any questions or making any comments in Chiron Archives ?

To keep Chiron Archives clean of unneccesary System Processor Abnormal Matrixes (commonly abbreviated as SPAM). We don’t know how many POST we may need, and Archives look nicer if they are free of SPAM. We would also like to keep Archives as low on POST Assembled General Archives (commonly abbreviated as PAGE) as possible, to make it easier to access and load. Comments and suggestions can go into this thread, where they fit nicely.

*How will entries be divided?

Currently they are only clumsy divided by authors. In future, when we upgrade to Planetary Datalinks, we plan a more detailed organisation of entires – not only by author, but spacing special projects and cooperative efforts in individual subsections. Authors will also be sorted alphabetically. If we ever discover Polymorphic Software, comment or review entries will probably be added below the entry to which they refer to. In theoretical future incarnations of software, even more progress on organisation is possible.

*I have a suggestion, question or a comment

Then give/ask it here – this si the right place for this.

*Something is not here and it should be in the list

Either we missed it (more likely), or the thread is defunct (empty) now, thus deeming it useless to our project (as Alynzia seems to edited out her stories). Third possible answer is that it may not be deemed as fiction related at all. For instance, Spartan Chronicles Volume Two entry has been temporarily lost.

*Something is wrongly attributed..

Report it here and it will be corrected.

Disclaimer: Chiron Archives staff reserve the right to roll eyes at anyone who suggests something that is already mentioned as planned in near feature or who asks something that is already explained above. If someone also does that in the Chiron Information Archives thread, we also reserve the right to call them worthless ignorant drones too.

UPDATE LOG:
    ##START
    -started integrating early beta version at MY2101.12.02
    -started betatesting beta version at MY2101.12.18
    -link verification 89 percent complete. errors corrected
    -updated v0.89043 to v0.9067beta
    -end first beta test at MY2101.13.04
    -second beta test started MY2101.15.22.
    -end first beta test at MY2102.17.55
    -updated v0.9067beta to v1.0000
    -upgraded to Planetary Networks software, version 2.0021, MY2115.bbh3 at MY2115.17.04
    -sent request to main computer for adding important status to project at MY2115.17.08
    -request approved at MY2115.19.47

##END
    Last edited by Illuminatus; November 8, 2005, 11:26.
    SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Great!
    Will you ask a mod to sticky it?

Comment for improvement of the beta:
    Better turn off smilies in this post to prevent the in Beyond Alpha Centauri.
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Wow, he's back!
      -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
      -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

I had never read any of those, but the story about velociryx is very nice. If it ever continues, I'll surely read it :-D
        no sig

Comment

If it ever continues, I'll surely read it
          You better read it now because Vel was one of the best wirters if not the best.

And he's away from SMACX, he has his own project now (you can go there by clicking a link in his sig IIRC), so there won't be any sequels until SMACX 2..
          -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Originally posted by binTravkin
            You better read it now because Vel was one of the best wirters if not the best.
            Well, I've already read all that was there. I meant I would surely read the rest of the story if he ever continues it.
            no sig

Comment

The group is proud to inform that beta tests have ended and Chiron Information Archives have been deemed as full pledged 1.0000 version. We thank to M@ni@c for its beta support.
              We do not plan to ask faction leader to deem this as an important institution, but if more people ask we will. Our priority is upgrade to Planetary Networks in six years.
              Seeing that new people are reading old things is definitely a sign of success.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Maintenance report:

Upgraded to Planetary Networks Software, making Chiron Archives easier to browse. Asked faction leader to award this project important status. UPDATE: Status has been awarded.
                Last edited by Illuminatus; June 5, 2005, 14:34.

Comment

So- Amusing!

great work with the guide to literature- it certainly brought back fond memories-

ah, to dream about the old Chiron Chronicle and my unfinished University of Planet epic ... *sigh* good times all...
                  -->Visit CGN!
                  -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Might be nice to have a section where they are organized by faction say all the stories where the university takes a leading role in one section ect. Anyway thanks will provide days of reading joy I am sure!
                    A university faculty is 500 egoists with a common parking problem

Comment

Originally posted by dacole
                      Might be nice to have a section where they are organized by faction say all the stories where the university takes a leading role in one section ect. Anyway thanks will provide days of reading joy I am sure!
                      Hmm, you'll need to wait until we upgrade to Digital Sentience for that.
                      Although it should be noted that apolyton directory section is going to be reorganised and updated.

Comment

-/> DarkCloud

Short Stories
                        The Chiron Chronicle
                        University Saga
                        University Saga: Book II
                        University reports
                        Zakharov's Cloning Vats
                        University Saga
                        That's odd- I didn't even remember that I started Zakharov's Cloning Vats- I don't even have any idea where I was going with it.

If you ever revise the directory on apolyton's main page, please don't add the Cloning Vats tale or the "Short Stories"... since the "Short Stories" are, on later reading, terrible, and the Cloning Vats isn't even a full story. I think I might even delete them- they're slightly embarrassing works considering my later works elsewhere on this forum and in real life.

Also- the 3rd University Saga citing is the correct one- that's the one that has the entire tale in one place.

As for the Chiron chronicle thread, you may want to relocate it to the Shared World Stories sections.

thanks!
                        -->Visit CGN!
                        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud

That's odd- I didn't even remember that I started Zakharov's Cloning Vats- I don't even have any idea where I was going with it.

If you ever revise the directory on apolyton's main page, please don't add the Cloning Vats tale or the "Short Stories"... since the "Short Stories" are, on later reading, terrible, and the Cloning Vats isn't even a full story. I think I might even delete them- they're slightly embarrassing works considering my later works elsewhere on this forum and in real life.

Also- the 3rd University Saga citing is the correct one- that's the one that has the entire tale in one place.

As for the Chiron chronicle thread, you may want to relocate it to the Shared World Stories sections.

thanks!
                          Isn't deleting a bit drastic? A writer, Alynzia deleted almost all her stories. This is quite sad. I would prefer having other people judge on your quality.

And it is not if "ever ". I've taken some notes so far, but due to RL pressure, it will most likely be revised some time after July 15th.

Comment

There is some dross here, and a good share of it is mine! There are more than a few half formed idea and unfinished stories. **sigh**

Anyway, it does bring back memories. Thanks for doing all the work for this in-depth compilation! This saves a lot of time wading through years of threads.

Hydro

Comment

I just have a question : did every story have a seperate "feedback" thread? Because now most stories are just a monologue of the writer. This is ofcourse a lot easier to read the story, but where do you generally put comments to tell the writer you liked the story ?
                              no sig

Comment

Working...
                              X