• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Planet's Love

A Planet’s Love
    By Cotroneo
    Part 1

Welcome……Deir…dre…

Lady Deirdre Skye awoke to a freezing cold wind, which seemed to make her feel naked, in her bed. The orbital probes they had sent down from the Unity, never told them about the vast night winds that came from the ocean. The tents, which were packed in the Unity Pod, weren’t designed to be constantly batered by this vast wind. Knowing that she would never get to sleep in this cold brisk wind, she decided to take a walk.
    She seemed to be the only one awake, which was no surprise, because of the hard work all her people were putting forth during the day. It was hard to believe that just a few days ago, she had been on the cutting edge of technology, in space, yet now, she and her colonists were stuck in tents and barely a piece of advanced technology in sight. Yet, as she walked through her few remaining Unity agricultural pods, she seemed to feel secure and relieved. She almost felt jealous of the earth vegetation, which flourished in this strong nitrogen environment, while she was stuck wearing a breather. These unity breathers never were quite good, which was probably do to the cheapness of some earth company trying to save a dollar or two. She could feel her mouth being stretched and given a rash by the breathers rough mouthpiece. As she walked closer to a white pine, which was one of the larger species she had brought down from the Unity, Deirdre heard the sudden roughly of vegetation behind her. A sudden urge of fright and fear came over her, which started her heart to pump violently. But, she had learned long ago on Earth that fear only made her stronger and quicker.

“Lady, is their a problem with the pine…..can I help?” a young technician whispered as she walked closer to Skye.

Deirdre thought to herself, how foolish she felt, being scared in her own new-fashioned home. She turned to see Sarita, who was a young biologist no older than twenty years. Sarita had been a student apprentice of Deirdre, back on earth, and one of Deirdre’s closest friends.

“Why are you up so late, we have such a hard day ahead of us”, Deirdre had whispered back so that no one else would wake.

“I couldn’t sleep with the breather on, my lady”, Sarita murmur quietly to Deirdre, as if they were strangers.

“Sarita, must we be strangers on this alien world, for we have known each other far to long.” Deirdre stepped closer as she spoke; “Come, let’s take a walk outside, near the beach.

Their had only been several hundred people on Deirdre’s unity pod, when they had left the Unity, yet the little settlement of these biologists and farmers spanned a quarter of a kilometer. Deirdre had managed to get both agricultural modules on the Unity, so she new she had an advantage in this hard environment. Although, she was very worried that her small population would ever get off the ground with so few people and so many unknowns about this planet. Her unity pod had made a controlled landing on the western most continent near an inlet to the ocean, which seemed to be very fertile from the probe readings sent before they landed. The past several days had been dedicated to unloading the pod and scouting out the initial landing site.

“Will you being going on the expedition tomorrow Sarita?”, asked Deirdre, which had broke the silence of the night.

“Yes, my lady, ill be heading out in the morning with the scout patrol”

“Are you still planning on searching that northern mountain range?” questioned Deirdre, who thought to herself how much she wished that she was going with her. Yet she knew her place was here, where should could direct and control many of the free-minded individuals of the camp.

“Yes, what I have seen from early data, is that the local vegetation around the ridges of the mountains, is something to see.” Answered Sarita, almost understanding what Deirdre was thinking about.

“Sarita do you think we are the only humans left, do you think the other pods made the reentry?” Deirdre asked, which startled Sarita about the different line of questioning, and her sudden thinking about how Deirdre may be right.

“Perhaps a better question would be, if it’s right for this planet that we do exist.”
    Sarita question seemed to not sit well with Deirdre, and she new that Deirdre had thought of this before also. They both retired for the night, and it seemed that Sarita had grown accustom enough to the breather that she could get some rest.

The sun glared off the top of the rover, producing a beautiful rainbow of colors on the windshield. Sarita had not fully recovered from her lack of sleep, yet she was thrilled that she was going to be able to get out into the openness of this world. Although she was excited she still had the lingering feeling of regret for the planet.

“Sarita, were ready to go.” said a man, no older than Sarita, named Link.

The expedition would consist of two unity rovers traveling for a few days to the north of their base. Deirdre wanted to know what vegetation and native life was around her little colony, so she had assigned Link, a very intelligent biologist to survey the area. Sarita and a few others went along to help and cover more distance that Link could not do by himself.

“Sorry, I was just thinking”, exclaimed Sarita as she entered the unity rover, trying not to hit her head on the low ceiling.

“Were pressurized, you can take off your breather”, Link said, with a feeling of relief and freedom. It had been several days since Link or Sarita had taken off their breather, which could be easily seen by the face marks around their lips. Both chuckled at each other while Henry, the unity rover pilot, started his pre-check. It wasn’t every day that two biologists were strapped to a nuclear reactor, which was quite an exicement for both of them. It seemed that the United Nation’s unity council decided to put nuclear reactors on all their equipment because they were afraid they would not have any or enough fossil fuels on hand. It actually seems that they chose correctly for once. The fresh oxygen produced within the rover was a welcome change to the over used oxygen within their masks. Of course any scientist would say that there was no difference in the freshness of the oxygen. The breathers were designed to reuse the individual’s carbon dioxide and produce oxygen in its place.

The countryside was in full bloom, which looked magnificent with the sun shining down on it, while the reds and oranges seemed to glitter off into the sky. The vast diversity of the ecosystem was simple a biologists dream but an ecoligist nightmare. They had noticed quickly that if they wanted to survive, they would need to cut and strip some of the land of its vegetation. Perhaps Deirdre had another wish for this survey, maybe to find some land that was already cleared and no vegetation growing there. The first day of the landing, before any of the colonists had stepped on the planet, Deirdre had agreed with the rest of the crew, that they would live a society that learned to live and thrive with the environment. All colonists signed their own version of the Mayflower compact, as they exited the pod.
    The vegetation was mostly made up of vines and tubules of all colors of the rainbow. Yet, their seemed to be a predominant red tubuler plant, which seemed to grow in vaster numbers than anything she seemed to locate. At certain times, they were unfortunately forced to ride over these vines due to the fact that there was no obvious way around these kilometer long patches. She also noticed that there was a vast difference in the amount of sentient animals on this planet compared to Earth. She could remember visiting the few remaining forests on Earth and seeing dozens of different animals crawling and feeding all over the forest bed, yet she hardly saw anything beside the casual frog-like creature.

“Deirdre would love this”, exclaimed Link over the loud noise of the rover’s engine in the back.

“Your right, she loves to get out in the open, away from human civilization”

Sarita had by now set up thermo-binoculars on her side of the cockpit, and was scanning the surrounding area for any small hint of animal life. To her surprise, the weird vegetation mentioned before was admitting an enormous amount of heat energy. It was almost futile to look for anything in thermo scan, because the whole surroundings were lighting up like a Christmas tree on the scanners. She would have to remember to include these strange findings in her personal report back to Deirdre. It was common that Sarita would write her own report to Deirdre, because Deirdre was always displeased about people who tried to hide there mistakes that made them look bad and put false information in its place. She relied on Sarita to tell her the truth.

“Were coming up on a massive amount of red foliage, it will take quite a while to pass through this stuff, and its getting late”

“I think we should call it a day, and start fresh in the morning. I think it would be nice to get out of this vehicle and get some specimens for research back home.” Responded Link to old Henry’s inquiry.

Henry Zorban had been a college professor at MIT, teaching engineering, before the unity council had asked him to lead the rover unit on pod 3. Deirdre was very lucky to have such an experienced pilot and navigator at these times when searching and surveying the new land was of the utmost importance. Yet, Henry never really fit in well with these “green fanatics” as he called, Deirdre and her pack of followers. Yet he had earned the communities respect and admiration through his hard work. To bad the colonists would always call him old, or grandpa, due to his back problems while doing work or driving.

“What do you think of my idea, Lady?”

“I’m sorry William, can you repeat that again, I was abit daydreaming” Deirdre had been taking stim pills all week, and it seemed to be wearing her down. She couldn’t seem to concentrate more than a few minutes at time.

“Deirdre, get some rest, we can talk about the building plans in the morning” replied William. Although they had just met during the last hours onboard the Unity, Kevin always was able to tell the slightest changes and alterations in someone’s mind and body.

“That is a good idea Kevin, and I’ll take it under consideration, but to get back to what we were talking about before. What materials will we be using for permanent infrastructure, and why the green tint?” Deirdre was glad that she had chose Kevin for the unity project back on earth, his engineering skills were so needed at this time. At only twenty-five, Kevin Sorbio had taken control of all her engineering and construction projects within the community and was proposing some interesting ideas.

“The strange dirt and water give off greenish tint when combined. These, I hope, will be our initial building blocks for the new buildings I'm proposing. Although, I'm not sure how well these strange materials will hold up versus this harsh wind, but I see no other choice. I only hope that Chiron dirt is similar to Earth dirt. I’ll assign a team to start work on a kiln, which we will need to mass-produce these bricks, if we can call them that. Until then, we will have to use mirrors or something useful, to induce heat while they harden.”

“Kevin, will the bricks require a lot of the dirt and water around us. Must we start ripping up this place within the first week. I would hate to see a strip mine next door to where I sleep. It would tear my heart out.”

It was very unlike Deirdre to talk about her feelings to others, except Sarita, but the stim pills had gotten to her, and she seemed a bit out of it.

“Deirdre, sometimes we must put aside our ideology if it means our survival…….boy, I can tell you need some sleep” , retorted Kevin.

Deirdre couldn’t stop thinking how we humans always give up our morals and ideas when it suits us. She retired to her own personal tent, they had set up for her, this morning.

Deirdre…We understand…..

Unity rovers were well stocked, and they were designed to survive long periods on their own. While Henry and Link set up camp, and to put some form of eatable food on the portable heater, Sarita decided to take a walk and collect some data. The sun had not fully receded, so she estimated that she still had a few good hours of visible searching.

“Is this world ready for us, rather are we ready for this planet. I wonder if we locust will be able to take control of this land without destroying it”, Sarita frequently would think to herself, and carry on conversation within her own mind.

“These vines seem to react to my presence, I wonder if the sentient life on this planet is in the plant form, rather than the animal form. It would be an interesting difference to study when I get back.

“Wow… it moved when I was about to step on it. I wonder how the plant has the motor reflexives to move in short bursts. I don’t even see any visible way of sensing me, or knowing that I’m here. It must be the sandwich in my backpack, I could always smell bad eggplant from a good distance too. Perhaps I was wrong, maybe we two species are closer related then I thought.

Part 2

“Link, this world is amazing, sentient life in plants, who would have thought.”

“What are you talking about? Sentient life? Where?”

“The red vegetation we were riding over this morning, it moved when I approached it. I don’t know how it sensed me, but it would jerk its vines in the opposite direction if I approached it.” Sarita felt invigerated by her new discovery as she rushed to talk to Link.

“Your not making any sense, we had to ride over the cursed stuff, and it took forever to cross. It wasn’t moving for us then, so why for you now.”

“I don’t understand it fully, I could only stay for a few minutes because I was worried I wouldn’t find my way back. Just wait till morning…I’ll prove it to you”

“Well if you two green children are done, I got some grub ready and I need help with the portable tent.” Blurted in Henry. He always hated being near people who he didn’t understand or comprehend what they were talking about.

Henry had used a flare to start a fire and had flipped a few pans on a tripod, which he was cooking with. It reminded Sarita of the times she had gone camping, although even her equipment was more advanced than the stuff Henry was using. Its seems Henry had gotten this stuff as a child, back in Toronto, and refused to use anything else to cook his food.

The fire even had a different color, due to that fact that Henry had used some native loose vines to keep it burning. He seemed quite the rugged mountain man, and although they had different views, Sarita felt quite secure with him there. The group of them just sat staring at the cheap beans baking in the fire which seemed to bounce its reflection against every one’s breather, which provided an atmosphere, few experience within their lives.

“Wow, look at that sky…its magnificent.” Link commented as he was starring at Nessus.

“True, its quite something, you can really make out the stars.” Sarita had by now joined with Link, who was still looking at the moon.

Henry just laughed and mumbled something under his breath, as he went to talk to the other rover team that had accompanied them.

“How goes the construction this morning, Kevin, have you found the right mixture for the bricks yet” asked Deirdre as they joined each other in their usually meeting spot. It seemed to be tradition now, that they meet in front of the kitchen tent, and would talk about their plans for the day.

“Well, a matter of fact, we just found this morning, that we devised a good mixture that was able to stand up to last night’s winds. Lucky number seven, our last mix, worked the best. Its almost funny, that we almost didn’t bother with trying out the mixture, because it was so late last night when we finished six. Deirdre, before I forget to tell you, I got a good idea for our headquarters last night, while I was trying to get to bed.”

They had both just turned the corner within the maze of tents they called home, when Kevin suddenly stopped.

“What’s on your mind, you’ve never held back before Kevin”

“Well Skye, I think we should use the colony pod for the base of our headquarters.”

“Sorry, but if you haven’t noticed, we have half our people living in the pod, and we don’t have enough tents for all of them to leave while you work on it. Anyway, the thing looks like Swiss cheese, with all the skin damage it took from the burn reentry.”

“Don’t you see my lady, that’s the beauty of the thing, we can use our new bricks, if you can call them that, to cover up the holes and build around it. It would take a lot less time building over the pod, then stripping all its special electronics and computers and put them into a new building. I’m not sure if anyone around here even knows how to do it either.”

“And how about my people Kevin, unless you want to have someone sleep in your hammock, we don’t have the tents or cleared area to add more to this little outpost we call home.”

“Well I suggest that we work sections at a time, so only portions have to leave at a time. And by the time we are done adding to the facility, we will have twice as much room as before to put our people. Like you said earlier this week, we need strong permanent buildings to live in.”

“Ok, I give in, just make sure you run some more tests on that new brick material, we don’t want to mess up our only good pod.” Deirdre turned as she finished speaking, and took a glare at the behemoth unity pod, sitting immobile at the center of the tent maze.

One of the reasons she had liked Kevin so much was that he spoke his mind and wasn’t afraid to yell or question her. Her choice of chief engineer hat seemed to be paying off. She seemed to be finally feeling a glimmer of hope, that maybe, if they were lucky they could survive this world.

“Hurry up you slow poke, we don’t got all day.” Sarita yelled to Link and Henry as they slowly walked to where she had spotted the interesting vegetation yesterday evening. They had both not fully woken up from their sleep, and had been ticked off about having to walk to this “special” place as Sarita called it.

“This better be worth it, my butt doesn’t belong anywhere else but in my bed before noontime.” Henry repeated over and over as they ascended a small hill where Sarita was looking down at the reddish vegetation.

By the time they had come within sight distance, Sarita had already set up a small camp of materials, such as a heat sensor and an array of other chemistry and biochemical devices. Link and Henry dropped to the floor, when they reached the summit of the hill, which showed how in bad shape they both were.

“Watch this Link” Sarita said as she attempted to touch one piece of the strange vegetation.

“Holy, mother of …. it moved, it must be some natural reflex, may I have a look”

Sarita, almost being pushed aside, moved away from the species of plant, as Link took a closer look at it. Henry had by now, wondered several meters a way from them. Link was totally focused on the plant by now, and Sarita could tell he was quite good at his job. He seemed to be able to feel and notice the subtle differences in the plant’s reactions and feelings.

Sarita and Link turned as they heard the sudden noise of power, shredder power, being turned on. As they turned their heads, they saw Henry going crazy, turning in every direction, looking for something with his gleaming shredder pistol in-hand.

“What the hell you doing man, put the gun down…. what in sakes are you looking for…” blurted Link, almost tripping over every word he said, as a flow of blood rushed to his head waking his senses up.

“Someone’s here, I can feel them, I don’t know where or how far, but I know there their. Get out your shredder, we may have some trouble and Sarita get on the horn to the other rover, I want them here ASSAP.” Henry blurted out orders, as he looked the landscape over for anyone or anything.

Link, had turned to see if Sarita knew where his shredder was, but he couldn’t find her. He called to Henry, as he rushed over.

“Sarita’s gone, I don’t know where she is, she was here a second ago.”

“Lets stay together, whoever’s out their, its like a could feel them in my mind, it was the strangest feeling I’ve ever had. Almost as if I was being probed.”

“Hello little one…. where do you think your going.” Both men turned around in one fluid motion to see Sarita on her knees looking down at something.

“Link, come on over here, I think it wants to say hi.” Sarita clamored from several meters away from both of them.

Something that looked like the vegetation, but moving, was almost playing with Sarita and fooling around with her rolled up in her hands.

“Henry, you better get the rover ready, I think were going to cut this patrol a little short, I want Deirdre to see my new friend.” Sarita said, as she turned to look at both men who had the look of fright on their eyes.

Comment

Part 3

“Message for you, Lady, its Sarita eight clicks incoming” said the nervous young ensign, who had been manning the long-range coms in the control center of the pod.

“Is their trouble… why are they coming back so early?” Deirdre called to the ensign as she ran to her personal room flanking the control center. Not, even giving time for the ensign to respond before closing the door.

Deirdre had moved into these quarters, as Kevin had suggested. Even though she was discouraged about being away from her people and friends, she needed the technology in the pod, to direct the various patrols and units outside her camp. Although, it did have its other advantages, she didn’t need to wear her breather, and her room was somewhat resistant to the cold breeze and winds at night.

Deirdre stopped in front of a screen and fiddled with several touch screens as they appeared, which connected her to Sarita’s rover.

“What’s wrong Sarita, you guys ok?” spoke Deirdre into her screen, which was transmitting to a screen on top of the dashboard, in Sarita’s rover.

“Well were ok, of course you can never tell if Henry is ok, but the reason I called was not about us. To put it simply, its about my new friend.” said Sarita as she singled to Link to bring over the specimen.

But before Link could go to grab it, the specimen instinctively slivered over to Sarita, onto her back. Deirdre had a look of fright, but at the same time amazement over her face.

“It seems to do whatever I’m thinking about, Deirdre, its almost as if it can read my mind. I have never seen or known a species that could use any form of telepathy, if that’s what you call it.” exclaimed Sarita over the comlink.

“Sarita, we need to bring it back here, I have several workers working on a permanent lab inside the pod.”

“I’m already one step ahead of you, Lady, we are about a day out from you, this fungus slows down our travel quite a bit. And by the way, how are you feeling, you seem invigorated since the last time I saw you, something I don’t know?”

“Well, Sarita, Kevin Sorbio has just started work on our headquarters, you’ll have to see it for yourselves. He seems to have become quite the engineer over the past few days. I’ll see you soon?”

“Yes, I’ll be back before you know it, and I’ll bring my friend to meet you too.” Said Sarita as she closed the communication line.

Deirdre couldn’t stop thinking about all that had happened in such a short period. She knew that her people’s first real test would be coming soon.

“Why actually are we doing this again, Tony?” asked Sam Patel, a maintenance worker that had been cut off from the rest of the ship during the final hours onboard the Unity. The hallways connecting the various pods had been destroyed, so he was forced into Deirdre’s pod to his regret.

“Like I said last time, because Sorbio wants us to unload the terraforming robot. We need it for the construction and he’ll kill us if we don’t get it out before noon.” Responded Tony Swerdlo, an original engineer under Zak, that had chose Deirdre over his fellow engineer, for unknown reasons.

“Oh yea, the bum, he gets to stay with Deirdre all day, and order us bums around. What a bum…”

“You must really like that word, maybe you should start reading a dictionary, it might be enlightening.” Retorted Tony, half-disgusted by being forced to work this incompetent worker.

It seems Patel, had an uncle on the unity council, and was able to bribe his way onto the mission. A perfect example why this mission had gone so wrong, right from the beginning. Tony couldn’t stop thinking about how his race could have degenerated to make this good-for-nothing piece of meat.

“Hello, gentlemen, how goes the work.”

Both turned around to see Link, standing in the doorway. He was wearing one of those grins only a genius or a madman wears.

“What can I do for you sir, we almost have the robot, ready for deployment. Although its going to be hell to try to get it out of this storage area.” Acknowledged Tony, to his superior officer. Sam, just gave a corrupt smile back to Link.

“Tony if I’m not mistaken, you are a rated pilot, are you not?”

“Yes sir” exclaimed Link, having an idea where this conversation might lead. “I was a pilot in the Trinity wars of 52.”

“Well, if you could give me some of your time, I would like to show you something. Your friend, is welcome if he likes. This should put a smile on your face Tony.”

“No thank-you, Sir” Sam cut in as he walked closer to both of them. “My place is hear, within the caverns of boxes.”

“Ok, if you want to stay here, your welcome, and I’ll send down a few more people to help you out, till Tony returns with me.”

Sam walked away, disgusted at having to follow orders, from this peace-loving bum.

Message incoming . . . .

0101010011 0101

01010101 1001011101 011010 100101011 01 01001 00001 11101
      1010 110111101 0010001 0100100 10 1010 1010 0000010101011

Ending transmission . . . .

Message decoding . . . .

To : Pod 8 : Yang

Deirdre is up to something … a unit is incoming … short of its patrol

Will send information as it becomes available … Cobra ball in place

Comment

Working...
      X