Spies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spies

Michael Volkas often travelled by plane. He considered himself a bit of an expert on air companies. There was Sparta Air. If all you wanted was to get from point A to point B you flew with them. They sold you a seat on the plane and that was it. Nothing more. On the opposide of the spectrum was Kozlar AirComp. It sufficet to say it was luxurious Morganite company. When you flew with them you flew in a hotel. Each passanger with it's own entertainment set, food that melted in your mouth and so on. Of course tickets costed some 15 times more than Sparta Air. This perticular Peacekeeper company was somewhere between Spartan and Morganite, altough a bit closer to Spartans than to Morganites.

»This is your pilot speaking. Please fasten your seatbelts. We will be landing at University Base in about 20 minutes. Weater is sunny and air temperature is 28 degrees. I hope you had a pleasant flight and we hope next time you travel you will choose GlobalAirComp.«

As pilot told them plane touched down 20 minutes later. Michael was sitting close to the door so he was among first ones out. He gave his passport to customs official who checked it out. Of course nothing was wrong with it. It was forged by masters of the trade. Only the best for the best was their motto. He went to »Nothing to declare« line. He smiled at himself and thought what would custom official say if he found the gun in his suitcase. Not that he would, anyway. New models were impossible to detect by any device. Not that University was really into security. Now, Hive and Sparta were something completly else. He was out of airport terminal in 20 minutes. He checked his watch. Enough time to check into hotel and do some preliminary checks. He waved for a taxi.

Hotel was what he expected. It was small, cheap and above all discrete. He unpacked and went out. Centauri A was already setting altough Centauri B was still up. It wouldn't get dark in couple of hours. He found public acess terminal and checked his messages. He noticed his contact send him message, requesting meeting in two days. Michael paid his bill to bored looking cashier an walked out.

Meeting took place in park. Michel sighed. His contact obviouslly watched too much low budget Morganite spy movies. But his employees were really interested in information that was offered so he had to indulge him. After some time a man sat next to him on a bench. »God. He even dresses up like wannabe spy. I'm surprised Uni intel service didn't pick him up« he thought to himself. They even had to exchange passwords. »I'm Richard.« Michael gave him one of his aliases, one he was currently using. »So you have disks?« Michael asked. »Not here. They are in safe place. Do you have the money?« »It was deposited in Morganite Trade Bank in anonimous account, as you requested. Account will be released after I check if disks are what you promised to be.« »Excellent. Where do you want to me to bring those disks?« »I'm staying in Red Rock hotel on 176th street. Bring them in 2 days at 4 o'clock in afternoon. I'll bring coleague who will verify contents. After that I will release the funds and we will part our ways. Now I'll get up and walk away. You wait 10 minutes and walk in opposite direction.« Michael did so thinking about amateurs playing spies. Perhaps if he wouldn't he might have noticed young couple several of benches away weren't much interested in each other. »Did you recognise who the other guy was?« asked woman. »No, but I didn't expect too. They most likely brought somebody from outside and aren't using estabished agent from here. We should check with customs to see when he entered. He isn't suspecing anything so other team will see where he is staying. Let's go.«

Back at Security and Intelligence Sercive Michael's face drew a blank. He wasn't known to University counter-intelligence service. Friendlly intel services were also contacted. Morganite Security Service Bureau found a match. They had one blurry picture of Michael taken at occupied Velvetgrass Point. They identified him as likely agent of Peacekeeper's Global Information Agency, PK's foreign intelligence service. It wasn't clear though as several other services were also operating in occupied Gaian territory at that time, including Spartan, Hiverian and Believer ones. Unfortunatlly SIS didn't know when meeting will take place so it was decided to follow Michael and his contact.

2 days later there was light knck on Michael's door. He opened them with gun in his hand, but held in such was it wasn't visible. It was Richard. »Come in. Were you followed?« »No, I checked.« Michael thought that if there was a tail this guy was likely to miss it. He again cursed amateur spies and also his superiors who put together operation with such haste. He would prefer more time and more support, but he was told it was urgent and his contact could change his mind. He was afraid something could go terriblly wrong. He firmly believed that thorough preparations and sufficient support team is only way to achieve sucess. But this will have to do. »My friend will be here in couple of minutes. Sit down and make youself comfortable.« After 10 minutes of uncomfortable silence there was another knock. Michael again opened them and let in computer expert who will verify what disks really held. Personally he would prefer trained agent for this job, but he was told Allan was good anyway. Allan inserted them in his computer and checked contents. »Yes, this is what it was promised. Probability Sheath technology and means to achieve phase adjustment. Fresh out of Reaserach Lab 19. All documents are complete, nothing is missing. I'm satisfied with it.« he removed disks from his computer and gave them to Michael. »Lal will be pleased.« Michael then pulled computer closer to him and acessed Morganite network. He entered Trade Bank terminal and entered release codes of acount. Now money was Richard's. He was all smiles. He got more money than he would earn in 10 years. There was another knock on the door. Michael and Allan exchanged worried glances and pulled out their guns. When Richard saw them he looked as he just saw mindworm boil. »SIS. Open the door now.« somebody shouted. Michael looked at Richard »You bloody moron, they followed you.« was all that he was able to say before SIS agents burst through the door. But Michael's reflexes were honed in years of dangerous undercover service. First SIS agent through the door was greeted by what was matter-of-factly called tripple tap, two rounds in the chest and one in the head. Allan dispatched second agent in same manner. This and the fact their bodies blocked following agents bought them enough time to run to the back of the hotel room, open the balcony doors and on the fire escape stairs. Michael had to admit that Allan knew his business as both of them started running up, not down. Before meeting Michael was able to scout hotel for possible escape routes and found that they could escape through the roof and that next building was almost touching this one. »This way« he pointed to Allan. They almost reached the opposide side when Michael noticed SIS agents on the roof. He quickly turned around and fired his gun. He had no idea if he hit anybody but they threw themselves on the floor, which was the idea anyway. »Jump.« And they did. Luckily SIS didn't seal of that building so they could climb down it's fire escape stairs and onto back alley. They were safe.

»Sir, we found this computer in hotel room. They used it to acess information on missing discs. They also used it to release funds in Morganite bank. Money was placed on that account 4 weeaks ago. Morganites refuse to release information about that account but we were able to determine money was placed there by InfoTech company, company often used by GIA for such matters. Richard Welck, man who met the agents confessed he was aproached by GIA to supply specific date about new developments in armor. Add to that the fact we identified one of the men as GIA operative. And several items found in hotel room clearlly indicate GIA involvement.« Zacharov leaned back and closed his eyes. Lal. He was asking for this technology for some time. He claimed that he neede it to equip his armed forces and reduce Spartan technological edge. Zacharov refused, believing this type of technology gave University unpecedented advantage as this gave them strongest armor for their vehicles. And now Paecekeepers stole it. He will pay, oh how he will pay. »Thank you. I expect you will find agents and missing disks soon.« »Yes, sir we will.«

Michael was sitting in airport lobby, waiting for his plane. In background TV station was blaring about University victories over Peacekeeprs. Michael has seen several wars and knew propaganda when he saw one. War was fresh but he knew University didn't hold such advantage to achieve so many victories so soon. With disruption of plane travel due to war he had to take several planes and fly into 3 different factions to reach his goal. At least he wasn't worried that he would be discovered. He and Allan contacted their service and were taken care of. They were operated. Hastlly and results weren't there to stay but they would alst enough to reach home. Fingerprints were also changed. New identities were given. And they travelled separatly. Michael looked up and saw his first flight was being boarded. It took him 2 days to reach his goal.

»Take a seat major.« »Thank you sir.« Finally home. After several days of debriefings he was told chief of intelligence service wants to see him. »Excellent job, I have to say. This tech is priceless. It would take us years to figure it out. It is already used by prototype units. I expect regular units to start gettin this type of armor very soon.« »Thank you sir. Can I ask how did Allan fare?« »Allan?« »Computer guy who was with me.« »Oh, right. Sometimes I forget aliases assigned to people. He's fine. Both of you were commended. And the is something else. Boss wants to see you right away. I'll phon ahead of you. Dismissed.« »thank you.« Michael whistled. Damn. If Boss wants to see him they have to be really plesed with his work. Lifa was good. Secretarry knocked on the door. »Mr. Volkas is here.« »Send him in« he heard. »Please take a sit.« »Thank you.« »Let me add to congratulations. On recomendation from Mr. Renck you are hereby promoted to rank of Lieutenant-Colonel. Congratulations. You are also granted leave as you asked. Once again, job well done.« »Thank you colonel Santiago.« He got up and left. He smiled all the way to the lobby. Outside both suns were brightlly shining on Sparta Command. Yes, life was good indeed.

Feel free to add comments and such here.
    Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their laws, we lie.

More blank spaces between sentences would make reading more quick

For the rest, it's a good text, very good considering it's not your mothertongue- keep up the good job
    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Working...
    X