Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBEM, story-oriented

Hello!
    This PBEM focuses on developing an interesting story rather then achieving victory. I seek players that don't focus on game mechanics and actual in-game outcome but also consider ethical implications of their actions. One, simple rule: if this would be a REAL LIFE what would I do?

Game version: SMAC 5.0 (with WinXP patch)
    Settings: random planet with standard rules.

I will lead a Gaian faction.

Anyone interested?

On one of the internet game sessions a few weeks/months ago we we talked about role playing like this. I'm interested as it adds value to one of the strong points of this game: different factions with different ideologies. But would it involve writing stories too? Because I'm not good at that. I have to think about which faction to play, as they are all interesting when role playing is considered. But I am reserving Morganites for now

Comment

Also maybe it would be better if we ask Mart7x5 to make a special map for this game, as randomizing (=unbalanced) would possibly reduce role playing possibility

Comment

Writing a story is an interesting idea but English isn't my native language so the answer to your question is simply no. But I can imagine that one of our players would be interested in writing one, based on our game. It would be so nice!

Can you explain how random map affects RP factor?

Comment

Sounds like fun, and I may be able to churn out a "Captain's Log" (or CEO's memoirs, or Colonel's records, or what have you) for each turn I play (though some may be "not much happened this year..."). I remember getting this sort of game going years ago, though people dropping out ultimately killed it.

Anyway, I'm willing to play any faction, though my favorites are always Morgan Industries and the Spartan Federation. The ones I feel the least connection with the University of Planet and the Human Hive... though I'm sure I can come up with something if I must.

As to the map, hell, why not use the standard Map of Planet? We all know it inside and out, so there's no disadvantage to anybody, and it really is a fine map. The only problem would be the fact that we would be denied the fun of exploring the unknown, so if there is someone that wouldn't be playing that would be willing to submit a quality map (something that looks and feels natural), that'd be awesome.
          To those who understand,
          I extend my hand.
          To the doubtful I demand,
          Take me as I am.

Comment

Yes, a Captains Log would be nice. I could do it too, although not to eloquently. It would certainly spice up the story a bit.

Authyrean would there be AI? I guess not since they dont really 'role play'.

About map: standard map of planet is good, but I think we could ask Mart to make us a special map for this so that we could explore

Comment

Actually, I think that adding AI players would be fun. They won't role-play but I found interactions to be quite interesting. Still, I would select Librarian difficulty level because I hate the idea of AI getting bonuses. Of course, I prefere 7 human players

Map of the Planet? It would be interesting but I really enjoy exploring a new world. It's my favorite part of the game. Also, I don't know this map that good, so I would be disadventaged anyway.
              Last edited by Authyrean; April 4, 2008, 12:56.

Comment

Heh, I've thought of a really annoying way I could record the activities were I to head up the Believers: The Prayers of Sister Miriam. Basically, they're "year end" prayers delivered before the assembled believers, chronicling the previous year's activities. For inspiration, I'd draw from the really long, rambling speeches given by Moses and Joshua at various points in the Torah.
                To those who understand,
                I extend my hand.
                Take me as I am.

Comment

I can setup a game for you.

And if I can contribute some ideas:

- a few more starting units, maybe 3 colony pods scattered across several neighboring tiles. A story might be, that factions having more than one landing pod won't land them in the same place. Close, but not the same place. Like in civ4, units start on more than 1 tile.

- each colony pod landing from Unity would have a "unity supply droid" - a low cost crawler, that cannot be built - high tech Earth devices, that similar will be possible on Chiron only when Industrial Automation is discivered.
                  Last edited by Mart; April 7, 2008, 04:43.
                  Mart
                  Map creation contest
                  WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

I'm open to all possibilities. I was even wondering about a Game Master that would provide quests, background stories and such. Still, I will be satisfied with anything. I just love this game and its atmosphere.
                    Example of a quest: Base X has recieved a transmittion from indenpendent survivors or something like that. Head to location YYxZZ and you will find a free colony pod or something like that... but player don't know that it's located in a location crawled with mindworms.

Comment

If what you really want is an ACRP, you don't necessarily have to play it in Alpha Centauri itself. I'd be willing to GM some Alpha Centauri RP. We can pick a game system (I'd prefer either GURPS or d20 Modern... more likely d20 Modern, though GURPS has an official SMAC supplement... not a very good one though, IMO) or we can just keep it loose (diceless or make it up as we go). Then we'd need a chatroom.

Has anyone else here done this before? How'd you do it? What worked, what didn't?
                      To those who understand,
                      I extend my hand.
                      Take me as I am.

Comment

I want to play Alpha Centauri. Besides, my English isn't good enough to role-play satisfactionary. I was just throwing ideas for a fun game.

I wait for other players to present their ideas about our PBEM. Because less people participate in this discussion I'm curious who is going to play this game with me.
                        Last edited by Authyrean; April 7, 2008, 17:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Authyrean
                          ... my English isn't good enough to role-play satisfactionary. ...
                          you write very well. I'm not native English speaker myself, but after so many years in utah I feel I should encourage you.

Besides, where else than on Chiron English with accent would fit so well. Zakharov, Santiago, they never bother
                          Mart
                          Map creation contest
                          WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

It looks that other players have lost their interest in this PBEM.

Back to the RP idea. Would you consider playing via e-mail or message board? I can try play on chat but I don't have too much time and my English skills would get a bit worse then those presented in my posts.

I've always wondered about GURPS AC. I like "official" materials so it would be an adventage but if you know that it isn't a good system then maybe Action Exploits? It's free and I've founded many very interesting concepts. Plus, it's diceless.

Comment

I dident lose my interest, neither did Ironwood I think. If you want to play pbems you need to have more patience, as one turn can last a week or more, and before we could set this thing up we need to have some common understanding and agreement on the rules and how to play exactly.

The "ACRP" and GURPS etc. Ironwood suggested as an alternative is beyond my mind though, but I'm prepared to listen to how it works.

As of now I like this idea and maybe some other time it can be thought out more and played.

Comment

Working...
                              X