Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the New Server!

Apolyton.net is now pointing to the new server. Please let us know if you spot any oddities or have any suggestions for what to add to the site!
See more
See less

Marky's Excellent Adventure (MEA) - TTT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2108 to monty

Comment

2109 to Dan

I think Monty must have some lag in posting, because I sometimes get his turn before he posts, and can post my turn before he gets around to it.

Comment

2109 to florin
        alphacentauri2.info * Alpha Centauri players group * IRC channel #smac

Comment

2108 to monty

Comment

2109 to Marky.

Actually sent quite awhile ago. Marky's right. I am much faster at playing than I am posting, but I usually get around to it unless I see that someone has posted past my turn, then my posting would just confuse the issue, so I don't post at all in that case.

Comment

2110 to Dan

Comment

2110 to florin

Comment

2110 to monty

Comment

2110 to Marky

Comment

2111 received from Marky and sent to florin

Comment

2111 to monty

Comment

2112 to Dan

I have a question about reloading. On 2110, I made a user interface mistake that cost me all of my research points. Basically I was checking on how research was going, at looked at other things I could have researched, and meant to cancel, but somehow changed to a different research topic. Well, I needed to go back to Centauri Ecology, so I changed back. End result, 0 research points left. I only had 3 research point at the time, so it was no big loss. There was no way I was going to reload over 3 research points, which is only a 1 turn research loss.

But since I am new to PBEM, I wanted to understand the reload policy. If I had made a critical user interface mistake, is a reload allowed with an explanation? Now I am not talking about reloading after a bad pod pop, or because a fungus square I was trying to enter had a mind worm. I am talking about if I made the same mistake, but it was after my research was just about done, costing me 7-8 turns on my research. Would a reload be permitted in that circumstance, or would I just have to suck it up?

Comment

We currently use this rule:
                            * A player may not restart a turn without good reason. The player should specify the reason in the game thread if he was not able to avoid reloading the turn. (Obviously, if a player has suffered some sort of crash during a turn, such a reload is unavoidable)

In extreme cases a reload is permitted even if it is avoidable. Always a reload should be explained in the forum. In a case of avoidable reload other players should agree.

Thinking of it, this can be a difficult decision. For example you decided to let go 3 research points. Someone else would reload in such case already. I think it all depends on the situation. Sometimes players can do a mistake, suffer its consequences and not tell anything. Later another player does some similar mistake and asks for a reload. Then the first player will be in a disadvantage if that other player is allowed to reload. On the other hand, other players may not want to have advantage over someone who made a bad move of a hand over keyboard or game freaked out but did not crash. But I think it is good to discuss these things right when they happen.

I know there is a lot of possibilities the interface can give troubles, like units go where you do not want them to cause of selecting problems with a mouse on a laptop, transports load/unload poor commands etc. It's good to know these things, sometimes open a single player game and test stuff.
                            Mart
                            Map creation contest
                            WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

2112 to florin

rule:
                              * A player may not restart a turn without good reason. The player should specify the reason in the game thread if he was not able to avoid reloading the turn. (Obviously, if a player has suffered some sort of crash during a turn, such a reload is unavoidable)

i only do reloads when i have a crash

Comment

2112 to monty

Comment

Working...
                                X