X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• update on the IP game #9:

second IP session finished (turn 2244)
    i will restart the PBEM from my save.

@ L.C.: you left Hamachi just before we restarted the game. It would have been nice to have a 5 players game.
    alphacentauri2.info * Alpha Centauri players group * IRC channel #smac

Comment

• UPDATE ON IP GAME #9

IP GAME #9 (started January,18 9pm GMT)
      First IP session: January,18 - 91 turns.
      PBEM: turn 2192->2204
      Second IP session: January, 25 - 40 turns.

Players:
      uselesses - PKs
      bDanv - Data Angels
      Andijvie - Gaians
      Hercules - Hive
      AI - Morganites
      AI - Drones - Eliminated
      AI - University - Eliminated

Settings: 40*80map, with medium everything. No tech trading between players.

Current situation:

Tracking thread is here

Comment

• Yeah, I couldn't stay, just wanted to check in with you guys.
        I'm now back online

Comment

• FRIDAY - February 1st, 2008 - NEW IP SESSION

Who will be there?

Please post also your preferences for the starting hour!

Somebody still interested in the League, standings, points etc?

Comment

• Not continue the old game?

I'll be there but could be a bit later than 9 pm GMT, maybe 10 pm

Comment

• Originally posted by Andijvie
              Not continue the old game?
              Of course, we can continue, if everybody will be there.

@everybody interested:
              Are you interested in some kind of a League/Tournament? We have a points system for our games here, but never manage to put some points into the standings because we never finished a League game. My question is: someone interested? or we will continue playing it just for fun?

Comment

• Ah okay. Well if we start a new game these are the things I would prefer in a new game, based on my experiences with our current game.

Only seven original factions can be played. Just my personal preference because to me the original factions all make sense. The seven crossfire factions dont really fit into the game.

Play on large default map (map of planet). This map is highely balanced and I thought we were too much on eachother lips right from the start in this game. A large map allows for much more freedom.

Tech trading on. Researching and probing factions have a way too big advantage with tech trading not allowed. On a large map researching and probing factions will still have an advantage in science over others, as long as they make enough effort for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andijvie Only seven original factions can be played.
                  That can be done. But who will choose Miriam or the Hive, knowing that the University will be in the game. Also I don't think that Gaia is worth playing on a map with medium to no fungus.

Originally posted by Andijvie
                  Play on large default map (map of planet). This map is highely balanced and I thought we were too much on eachother lips right from the start in this game. A large map allows for much more freedom.
                  I agree on the map issue, but, of course, there will be some detractors saying that random map is more fun

Tech trading on
                  Yes, but what can you do when you land alone on the Island of Deianeira with no Unity foil to reach the others.
                  This means that we must play a scenario with fixed starting positions, etc.
                  Last edited by bdanv; January 30, 2008, 09:24.

Comment

• I`d prefer a large random map to be honest.
                    I`ve hardly played the default maps and dont know where all the goodies are

Comment

• Originally posted by uselesses
                      I`d prefer a large random map to be honest.
                      I`ve hardly played the default maps and dont know where all the goodies are
                      @Andijvie: You see: it's so hard to obtain a consensus on this matter that it's almost not worth the effort. No offence uselesses I just knew it!

Comment

• I have a map with fair starting positions, but it's only for 4 players. It's called the Veterans map and has been posted on this thread some weeks ago. The only problem seem to be that we are heading for a 7 players game.

My suggestion is to build a new map with 7 land masses and try to make them as balanced as possible. This means of course, that the one who builds it won't play that game or that the map will be posted here so that everyone can study it.

Comment

• Yeah yeah lol. I was just stating my preferences. I can always try to convice you guys, which I will:

Large standard map issue:
                          You can explore the island using single player mode/scenario mode. Random maps sound good at start, but is just a too big chance players will land on a very small piece of land (like uselesess did in our game).

The large standard map has three main island, one smaller island but still very good as a starting point. I've never seen a player land on any of the very small islands.

The only big unbalance i can see is when only one player lands on one island, but this will be compensated by the other players having early contact with eachother and ganging up against that player

Factions issue:
                          If we actually get seven factions the believers thing might start to cause a problem, but even then the believers might be prefered by some player who has a crazy playing style. I'd like to see seven players first.

Tech trading stuff
                          What if you land on deaneira island. That's a big what if. Even then techt tradign would be better than non, since landing on a small island gives you almost no research capabilities. I will hold my ground on this subject, tech trading is a good part of the game.

Scenario's: i really dont like scenarios. I like to have a somewhat balanced map with fair starting positions, but there should still be a big landcape variety. I like it if a game feels natural, not artificial.

Conclusion: tech trading is the only thing I really want, the other things are just preferences I hope you can see the benefit of.

Comment

• I prefer balanced map.

We might try asking Mart7x5 to create a number of balanced maps and starting positions or use old ones that he has created but which no one of us has played on.

To play a league we need everyone up to speed on some basics.

I prefer Smax ie able to any of 14 factions.

I am used to tech trading so I guess I prefer that.
                            Last edited by Hercules; January 30, 2008, 10:35.
                            On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

• Originally posted by Andijvie
                              Large standard map issue:
                              You can explore the island using single player mode/scenario mode. Random maps sound good at start, but is just a too big chance players will land on a very small piece of land (like uselesess did in our game).
                              True. But a '7 factions optimized random map' can also be explored in the scenario editor if posted here for all of us.

The large standard map has three main island, one smaller island but still very good as a starting point. I've never seen a player land on any of the very small islands.
                              Still, it is possible, as well as 2 factions landing nearby.

The only big unbalance i can see is when only one player lands on one island, but this will be compensated by the other players having early contact with eachother and ganging up against that player.
                              Other important issue on a large map is having also a large jungle.

Factions issue:
                              If we actually get seven factions the believers thing might start to cause a problem, but even then the believers might be prefered by some player who has a crazy playing style. I'd like to see seven players first.
                              We don't really have a momentum player in our group. The only player close to that was Qloos, but he disappeared after being defeated in IP game #1.
                              I really think we can be 7 next time: Eldramatico and Florin79c are waiting for us to finish game #9, L.C. is back online, and SmacxVeteran said sometime ago that he only needs 1-2 more weeks to get back online, so... we'll see.

Tech trading stuff
                              What if you land on deaneira island. That's a big what if. Even then techt tradign would be better than non, since landing on a small island gives you almost no research capabilities. I will hold my ground on this subject, tech trading is a good part of the game.
                              Well, I was stuck on that island in the first IP game, and I really didn't like it at all.
                              I also hate tech trading, and I must explain why:
                              I always try and get a tech advantage in the first turns, and then, after everybody make contact with eachother, when the 'calling fever' ends, not only I loose that advantage, but almost sure i find myself behind most of the players. It just stinks

Originally posted by Hercules
                              We might try asking Mart75 to create a number of balanced maps and starting positions or use old ones that he has created but which no one of us has played on.
                              Good idea.

Scenario's: i really dont like scenarios. I like to have a somewhat balanced map with fair starting positions, but there should still be a big landcape variety. I like it if a game feels natural, not artificial.
                              Even scenarios can have such a diversity. Mart is a very good CMN.

Comment

• Tech trading/research:
                                if you find yourself behind all others even with tech trading on this has multiple possible reasons.
                                - you are disliked by everyone so no-one wants to share tech with you.
                                - you do not invest enough in research. Build more science stuff and spend more money on science.
                                - sometimes it looks like you are falling behind but you are actually way ahead in one of the four disciplines.

Dont criple the others for being bad at researching yourself... and ive seen you playing now, you aint bad at researching

The rest sounds good to me. the map thing isnt a huge issue for me, if you can make someone make a good large one. very fine to me! Using all 12 factions also fine. maybe we'll see some aliens this friday

Comment

Working...
                                X