Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still here

Comment

• Ok, I load the turn, but then I'm loaded as a seemingly random other faction. I've loaded with my faction as Morgan, Deidre, The Usurpers and the Pirates. What's going wrong? I've reinstalled, patched, SManiaC'd and then tried to load it and every time it's a random other faction.

E: Actually, I'm pretty sure it's just a graphics bug, since I can go into my SE table and see the usual bonuses for my faction, and also the bases names etc. are all the normal aswell.
      Last edited by The_Reckoning; July 26, 2006, 04:48.

Comment

• for Trotsky
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Reckoning

E: Actually, I'm pretty sure it's just a graphics bug
          Yup - it's well known in PBEM's.

The game loads with the last settings you had when you last saved a game (it's stored in the alphacentauri.ini file)

If playing morgan with a usurepr face bothers you, then before loading, go into the .ini file and change the 7 factions there to the seven in the PBEM game (you'll need to know the turn order, of course, otherwise you might have changed one graphics set for, say, the Believers, or something)

Alternatively, start a new SP game with the PBEM factions (in order) then save at turn 1 as "rubbish" or whatever. Then when you load the PBEM, the graphics will be OK

Someone some time ago wrote a batch file command that he then used to automatically edit the .ini file for every PBEM he was in. beyond my capabilities, though, but you should be able to find his post somewhere in the archives, if you are technically mnore "ept" than I (versus my inept - prolly apt is the counter to inept, both from the same latin root)

Comment

• Here is the factions part of the ini file:

Faction 1=ATLANTIS
            Faction 2=TEMPLAR
            Faction 3=GHOST
            Faction 4=PEACE
            Faction 5=SPARTANS
            Faction 6=EMPATH
            Faction 7=FUNGBOY

Copy these 7 lines and replace the existing in the ini file.
            Be careful not to erase any end line characters, as this may render file not usable.

Some time ago I wrote Iniswap for replacing the ini file before each smax game. here is the link:

place the exe in the main game folder and when it is used for the first time, it creates a separate folder for storing ini files for each game you wish.
            Presently I work on more complex one that will allow also to create more challenging games without need for manual editing game files. The swapping of ini file would be improved too.

You may also consider copying the whole game folder and renaming it to "SMAniaC" for example, if you have enough hard drive space. Then link to exe in this new folder as to Smaniac version of the game. You thus may have both vanila smax and the mod without need for swapping many files.
            Mart
            Map creation contest
            WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

• Yeah that's what I've done, I have my customized SMAniaC in a directroy somewhere, then I have the fresh install with SMAniaC which I'm using to play this PBEM. I've just modded the ini to have those factions in that order aswell, since I'm not in any other PBEMs and if I play single I go on my version.

Comment

• That is Humphrey's turn. Besides, I may have lost my password... ouch.

Comment

• Oops, I saved the end of my turn instead of clicking end turn and saving at your password prompt screen...
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Is there any way to reset a password? I'll keep trying to remember it though... it will be a long night.

Comment

• check private message, it's there
                      Mart
                      Map creation contest
                      WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

• Thanks! I thought I had picked the password, and my head was about to explode as I tried to remember it. It's good to have a CM...

Comment

• Who has the turn?
                          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

• Where' the turn now?

Comment

• I guess this email thing is broken.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Sorry - was waiting for an e-mail

2115 sent to Erkuther

I'll be gone without smac/x access from August 30 to September 30 (too much of a hassle to lug a laptop thru Heathrow with all the hubub there)

Do y'all want me to find a replacement, or are you happy to let the turn percolate round and stall for the time needed?

(My guess is, with it being so early in the game, and replacement will likely need to be permanent, as there's no-one I can think of who'd be happy to play just a couple of turns and then give it up again, but I'll try if that's the concensus)

Comment

Working...
                                X