I'd like to play as the University.

So we have 4 player, no AI:

BlueTemplar: University
        JustinSane: Drones
        Corvi #6 : PeaceKeepers
        Player99: Hive

MAP:
        Size: Standart (40,80)
        Geography: map with LOTS of land, and only few seas/lakes (cf WORLDBUILDER settings before).
        Tidal Forces: map with LOTS of mountains.
        Native life: Average
        Cloud Cover: Dense
        no Monsoon Jungle

Starting Parameters:
        100 ec's each
        4 colony pods
        4 scouts
        2 formers
        (all units will be Commando)
        All players start on the same continent.(It's really likely that there will be only ONE continent)

How do I make the map:
        I make a new scenario
        I press Y so I can't see the map.
        I randomly generate the map
        I randomly generate 2 numbers for each player => starting coordinates.
        On these coordinates I create one "Unity crash Pod" : Unity Transport Foil with X transport capability.
        The I add all X units to the same square!

RULES:

Bugs/Features:

Default rules + :
        no Do or Die
        Random events
        Non-Blind Research
        Look First

-Starting positions communicated to all players.
        -No governorship, Empath Guild banned.
        -Hunter-Seeker authorised (the beeline to H-S is not really rich in useful techs, is should diversify the game a little bit...)
        -No turn restarting
        -No commlink before contact
        -Only one SE change/turn/line

I think we should AUTHORISE these bugs/features:

-18 (Reverse Engineering)

-21 (Unload in Flight)

-26 (no Vendetta after Stealing) : as Dreifeils wrote:
        quote:
        A probe team operation is a secret service operation and it's just the character of a secret service operation that the victim doesn't see / know it and has no possibility to act at once.

44/45 (Stockpile Energy Bug): It is still unclear to me WHEN exactly this bug appears:
        -after a military unit?
        -after a building?

63-(Upgrades in Workshop): OK, but without attacking the same turn!

Upgrade crawlers for SP's.

And FORBID these:

1-(Extra growth w/ColonyPod)

2-(Multiple AirDrop)

16-(Editor Cheating)

19-(Probe to Rover Reverse Engineering)

22-(Terraformer Move-Again Trick)

25-(AI Withdrawal)

27-(Erase Vendetta Trick)

50-(Facilities in Queue trick)

65-(Air Defense with Vendetta only): It should be also for Nothing/Truce/Treaty without the approval of the other side!

71-(Terraforming Credit Up)

72-(Spying on Commlink Communications)

74-(Instant Patrol Upgrade Cheat)

75-(Opponent's Citizens Remote Control)

ABOUT PEOPLE UNAVAILABLE TO PLAY THEIR TURN:
        At the start of the game, everyone sends their passwords to smacpbem@archives.civgaming.net under the mail subject of "Keep Your Secrets - FactionName(PlayerName) - password"
        cf http://www.civgaming.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5542
        If a player didn't play his turn for a certain amount of time (I would say 48 hours), if he isn't joinable, if he hasn't advertised the other players about it, (or if he's unable to play the game for a cerain amount of time : I would say a week), and if all of the 3 other players agree on it, then they can ask a CMN who has access to the archive to skip this player's turn (of course the CMN could refuse to do it).
        It would of course be kind of the other players to do not abuse of this turn to for instance launch a massive invasion in the player's territory...

Replacement limit:
        If one player is unjoinable for a certain amount of time (I would say 1 week), and he didn't advertise any of the other players, then a replacement for this player will be sought.
        If a player is unable to play his turns for a certain amount of time (I would say 3 weeks), then a replacement player will be sought.

What do you think of all this?
        Last edited by bluetemplar; March 25, 2006, 01:01.

Comment

Many of those bugs are new to me! Still, I dont see how you can effectively forbid some of them, such as the multi-airdrop and terraformer charge-up. Im not even sure the last one is a bug, and not a feature. Maybe it would be easier to simply disable the air-drop ability?
          Its all just zeroes and ones.

Comment

Disallowing Do or Die on a map with no AIs makes conquest victory impossible, no?

Other than that it looks pretty good

Comment

The problem is Smacx is that you can't REALLY forbid most of the exploits, even in some cases it will be clear that a player is using them... (if you see that a drop unit has travelled half of the map in one turn without orbital insertion, you might have a strong suspicion)

That's why these rules are in fact for the most based on honor: If you win by cheating, will it not take a large part of the sweetness of the victory?

We simply agree not using them in order to make the game more fun, more balanced and sometimes more realistic.

About the terraformer credit-up: imagine that during 23 turns you former is drilling a huge borehole in Chiron's crust. Then after that you change your mind and drop this former on the other side of the continent and you "finish" the borehole! Doesn't it seems weird to you? Definitely a bug. But corrected now AFAIK.

I'm trying to find a way to create the starting units without knowing the starting positions. Maybe simply forgetting them will be enough, but I fear I have a good enough memory for numbers...

Comment

The other possibility would be to release the coordinates to everyone. As long as the information is equal, it is by definition fair.

Comment

Fair, yes, but I really appreciate finding out by myself the location of other players... it adds some of the thrill to the game when you might "bump" in a faction at any turn...

About do or die, I selected it "by default" because it's more fun vs the cpu... but it might be annoying when a player don't want to continue the game where he will clearly lose, even if in some cases you don't get restarted though...
                  Yes, I think Do or Die ON might be better...

Comment

In order to compensate a bug I wasn't aware of (tech cost gets updated when i give the techs using scenario editor "Edit Technology" function) I could give to all factions a bonus tech of your choice.
                    (This bug means that every faction will basically be X tech behind, with X being the number of their starting techs)

This is particulary important for the factions that have 2 starting techs : all those of SMACX minus the drones (i think it must be a
                    really awful malus for the Aliens) and the factions that have a research penalty : drones and believers, since for them one tech more or less is a tremendous difference at the start of the game.

P.S.: If i use Shift + F2 : Technological breakthrough, to give techs, it still updates so that the first tech counts in the tech cost... (with yang at least)

P.P.S.: I've found a way to have random locations AND so that not even me will know of the starting position.
                    (But you can't end up closer than 4 tiles to the poles)

PPPS: I'm against disabling the airdrop ability since IIRC it would require alphax.txt swappings, and don't really want to do it if it's the ONLY ONE thing to change in alphax.txt...
                    Last edited by bluetemplar; March 29, 2006, 02:53.

Comment

Those rules sound fine to me. Lets play!

Comment

Ok, I'm making the game...
                        Since I don't know what bonus tech do you want, I'll give "tech for formers" (centauri ecology IIRC) to everyone...

Comment

Ok, at last, here we go!
                          WARNING : the first turn you're at 100% economy, you should change it in social engineering!

(ttt when i'll have the time...)
                          Attached Files

Comment

Corvi, I do not have your e-mail address, so here is the turn:

Comment

oops, did that wrong. Trying again!
                              Attached Files

Comment

EDIT: Couldn't remove Monsoon jungle without looking at the map in fact...

Comment

Working...
                                X