Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi...Been playing SMAC for ages now but never online with other people..to be honest i don't really understand how it works. anyone care to explain how to play multiplayer to me, who is obviosly being a bit of an idiot Thanks...

It's PBEM-based, basically.

First of all, you should find some other players (4 is usu ok) and together decide on the map settings, as well as the rules, a complete example of which you can find here, in one of my game threads.

Then you should find someone (called "CMN") who will prepare a map and will hold passwords. Usu it's enough to start a new game thread for someone willing to show up.

Then you just wait fot the password and your turn. Remember to always zip it before sending.

Here is the list of bugs banned from MP, there some more petty rules observed here, but you'll get them quickly.

Comment

I'd completely forget - Good luck!

Comment

thanks - do you think it matters i only have a 56k modem?

Comment

There are 2 types of multiplay - PBEM, or play-by-e-mail - which is the most common by far. You unzip your received turn, play it, then save and zip it and pass it on. Games can take from a few months to a year or so (if, for example, you have 7 human players and each plays a turn a day, you'd be a year to get to 2150 - luckily as there's not much to do those first 20 to 30 years (and only dedicated players play in a 7-player PBEM) you'll usually be around 2250 or so after a handful of months

a 56k dial-up modem is fine, as all you'll be doing is downloading and uplioading zipped files

Secondly, there's IP play, where a player hosts the game on-line and you and the others hook up live. You'll typically get 30 to 50 of the early turns done in the first couple of hours, then it slows as turns get more complicated. The game can be saved by the host and can then be played as a PBEM, or as another IP session

It can be played with a 56k modem (all the early ones were) but obviously cable or DSL is preferable - or at least with a firewall that has an "always stay connected" feature

I hope this helps

Comment

The game can be saved by the host and can then be played as a PBEM, or as another IP session
            We were playing multiplayer with my girlfriend in home LAN and saved the game. How do we now continue it? Do i (host) load it and she will join again (how?) . Do i have to save somehow differently from playing alone?

Comment

Are there any games up for the email system at the mo that are easy...for me to play as a total newbie to multiplayer? Seems everyone is launching games that seem to be for the pro's

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie13
                We were playing multiplayer with my girlfriend in home LAN and saved the game. How do we now continue it? Do i (host) load it and she will join again (how?) . Do i have to save somehow differently from playing alone?
                Open it as an IP game, and yes you should host it (if you saved it). Give it a name so that your g/f can find it.

When the screen loads (see pic below) - where I've hilited in yellow you should click on there and load your saved game

Now she should go on the net, and select IP game, but instead of hosting she should select "join" - your gamename should appear as a gamne to join. She then selects the faction she's playing, you see on your screen that she's aboard, you lock in and away you go (it'll take a few minutes to cycle thru the synchronisation of units, etc etc, but from then on it's good to go)
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X