A retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A retirement

I just wanted to make it official that I won't be back to any of my PBEMs. For a couple of month's I thought my situation would be temporary and I could get back into my games but it was not to be. A combination of my son and my new job mean I just do not have the time . .. I have opened one game turn on 4 different occasions without getting to finish. I do wish to opponents that I left hanging as I really thought I would get back into this.

I find that I don't enjoy the game when outside factors mean turns are played hastily with almost none of the note-taking and planning that is necessary to play a good game. I looked at some of the notes from my early games with wonder compared to sitting down to a turn thinking "didn't I spot a unit here last turn?"---

To all those I played and discussed stuff with, thanks for everything. I really enjoyed this game and I will pop into the discussion forum from time to time. To those of you that don't know who I am . .. . NEWBIE !! NO seriously, enjoy the game and the community.

Its a fun place. My only Smacing will probably be the occasional single player game . .. . Maybe a one city challenge with no crawlers/trawlers or I could see if I could manage to switch sides 3 times and win-- Thats the beauty of this game, there is always a new challenge.

Take care all.
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Cheers. You will be missed but at least you said you will be back from time to time? I've always enjoyed reading your postings. But I understand that there are priorities in your life. Best wishes.
    Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Have fun Flubber, you were a big asset to poly
      Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

I understand Flubber. And I look back with pleasure and awe at some of the games I played in with you.

Take care and I know you will pop in from time to time.
        On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

With that, is anyone interested in taking over for Flubber in a 2x3 I was playing against him? He has the Gaians, Angels, and Morganites, and the game is nearly even, despite being well into the midgame. He has the Empath Guild, and I've posted some of my notes on the game, so anyone who takes over should be able to get up to speed pretty quickly.
          "Cutlery confused Stalin"
          -BBC news

Comment

Sorry to see you go. Thanks for the games & good luck.

Hobbes
            If you want to kiss the sky/Better learn how to kneel/On your knees boy - U2, Mysterious Ways

http://zanature.wordpress.com

Comment

Hey Flubber - you could always spend quality time with your son and teach him the game ........

........... oh, he's only 2 (ah well, just tell the wife you're starting him early!!)

Take care, and drop by from time to time

Googlie

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules
                I understand Flubber. And I look back with pleasure and awe at some of the games I played in with you.

Take care and I know you will pop in from time to time.

THanks Hercules-- I did get some good luck in a couple of them. Plus I looked at the copious notes and plans I had for those games and shake my head head when I compare it to the end-the-turn-because-baby-is -crying method of my last months playing. It was frustrating not having the time to play properly.
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I want to thank EVERYONE for their good wishes. I will be around and Smax remains my very favorite game. I think I enjoyed the military aspects most although I still remember feeling bad when I dropped my first Planet Buster. ( I think it was against archaic and took out 4 or 5 special projects including Cloudbase).

I do have a lot of good memories and a long long list of people that I enjoyed playing in PBEMs.

Good luck all.

Comment

Best of luck, maybe someday it will all settle out and you can start some kids games for the children of the Apolyton SMAC community. "Daddy, why won't Sim City let me build a Planet Buster?"
                    The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                    And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                    Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                    Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Heah Flubber,

sorry to see you go!

Originally posted by Flubber
                      I think I enjoyed the military aspects most
                      If your interested you can playtest one of my next CGN Challenges for me: its the Spartans, and the "starting game" will be significantly different than just falling haphazzardly onto a planet's surface.....

D

Comment

Shawnmmcc, we're waiting for your turn in TCDD.

Comment

I do have a lot of good memories and a long long list of people that I enjoyed playing in PBEMs.
                          Too bad Im not in that list..

Best wishes anyway and Merry Christmas and a Happy withoutsmac New Year!
                          -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                            I want to thank EVERYONE for their good wishes. I will be around and Smax remains my very favorite game. I think I enjoyed the military aspects most although I still remember feeling bad when I dropped my first Planet Buster. ( I think it was against archaic and took out 4 or 5 special projects including Cloudbase).

Good luck all.
                            Ah yes, I remember that. Damn buggy game though. ^^;; I don't know if you remember, since you came into that one late, but for some reason, none of the factions had their SE bonuses or penalties. You just ended up out popping and out teching myself and Darsnan in the end. It was a wonder we kept up with you until the Planet Buster as it was.

As I recall BTW, it was Cloudbase AND Empath AND Virtual World. Probably had a few others too. You took out...what? 5 cities with that thing? One of the downsides of such tight base placement.

It's a shame we never got to finish that old 1 on 1 we started ages back, I would've liked to beat you just once. ^^;; Maybe I'll be lucky enough to still be around if/when you have enough time to PBEM again. It's just not going to be the same without you.
                            Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic

It's a shame we never got to finish that old 1 on 1 we started ages back, I would've liked to beat you just once. ^^;; Maybe I'll be lucky enough to still be around if/when you have enough time to PBEM again. It's just not going to be the same without you.
                              I seem to remember that vaguely-- I don't even remember my faction. That was a while back but IIRC you moved or disappeared or something. Oh well .. . .

The game I remember was one on the battlefield earth map which I think was one of your very first PBEMs. I learned a lot in that one as well since my first attacks on Mongoose were decimated by his use of the self-destruct tactic. Thankfully I had enough of an advantage to overcome the initial reverse

As for the PB game-- ya I inherited a great position since it seemed my believers had their good stuff ( attack bonus) but no research penalty. My predecessor also left me in a weird situation as he had massive numbers of crawlers but bad terraforming for crawlers (forests)-- a few condensors, boreholes and mines and we were soon rocking. tech wise my recollection is that you and someone else had teamed up and were just keeping up with me BUT I managed to get PBs and a bunch of ODPs rushed in a single turn such that I could control the PB aspect. IIRC that single PB was enough to get you folks to capitulate since I had more plus enough ODPs to keep you from mounting a defense

I will be around . .. I played some fun single games over Christmas but the reality is that I can't commit to my old PBEMing ways. If I joined a PBEM now I might be able to play a turn now and another in a month. That's just not acceptable

Comment

Working...
                              X