No announcement yet.

Heart of Fire Tracking Thread #3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm also confused with what's exactly going on here but I'm just waiting for everything to stop spinning and see where things fall.
    Who is Barinthus?

Comment

• Just remember that the Gaians turn 2128 is posted already awaiting whoever. But I guess I can just email it to whoever.

This who ever sure is a good player.
      On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

• Kody and I have written up a piece to end our lives so that you guys can have a clean start. I'm going to post it in a minute. Just remember that if there's any sillyness in the story, Kody is the one that you should blame.
        Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

• It was dark, very dark. She was vaguely aware of her surroundings: the medical shelf, the wooden desk … A human shaped shadow approached her. An imminent sense of danger seized her heart. So heavy … She couldn’t breathe. He came closer. … She couldn’t scream out. He extended his hand toward her …

HongHu suddenly awoke and sat up. Her body slightly trembled from the shock. A man’s hand was on her shoulder. “Kody! How did you get in here?” HongHu scolded.

“Shhh.” Kody’s voice was unreadable in the darkness. “Come with me.”

They went outside of HongHu’s tent. Kody handed her a small quicklink. “Santiago got back from the north last night. I found out something disturbing about what she’s been doing the last few months.” HongHu silently finished reading the content from the LCD screen. She now realized that Kody’s face was even more solemn than ever.

“She plans to betray the Peacekeepers.” HongHu’s heart sank as she started to take in its grave implication. “I’ve got to go talk to her.”

“No. You can’t go. I just wanted you to see this before I destroy it.”

“What do you mean? You propose we don’t do anything even if we know about this?” HongHu asked unbelievingly.

“The peacekeepers can take care of themselves.”

“You don’t intend to tell them.” HongHu finally came to her shocking realization. “It’s your loyalty to her isn’t it? She is the one who put you up for your current positions after all.” She hated it when Kody sounded like that. So cold, as if he didn’t care about the others. And she hated when he talked about things like it was already decided.

Somehow Kody didn’t want to explain himself. She should have known him better. But what could he do if she didn’t. Confronting Santiago too early would mean the end of the fragile relationship between the Spartans and the Peacekeepers as well as the Gaians. Everything he had been working hard for would be lost. Santiago would realize that it is better to cooperate with others rather than to be hostile against them when others had increased their powers and would give up her plans all by herself.

"She is the leader of the Spartans", he finally said.

HongHu found herself swelling with rage. “So you are willing to let the others risk the danger of being destroyed, just for your stupid loyalty to Santiago? What if the others are not strong enough to take care of themselves? Were you going to keep your loyalty to her if she plans to act tomorrow morning? She has never given you the power to control the Spartan’s military. Will it be too late when you find out that she’s already acted?”

Lady Hong jumped in her Rover and drove away before Kody had time to reply to her. Kody stared at the dust cloud left in HongHu's wake feeling events were slipping away. An endgame was approaching and he would not be able to stop it. He hurried to his own rover to follow HongHu.

At Santiago’s quarter

Kody pushed the door open and stepped into Santiago’s quarters. Santiago was sitting in a hard backed wooden chair behind a large desk. Lady Hong was already there, standing two steps away from him, her chest rising and falling from heavy breathing.

“How did you crack the security codes for the files Kody?” Santiago’s voice was cold like a metal.

“I didn’t. I bypassed them.” It was no use now. The secret was out. So be it.

“So you’ve thrown your lot in with the Gaians, now following that woman like a little puppy”, Santiago looked at Kody disgustedly. “You always were weak.”

A mixture of shame and angry passed over Kody’s face.

“Major,” Santiago waved her hand tiredly. A Spartan soldier appeared and went away with his instructions. “We’ve just captured our first mindworm. Thanks to you, Lady HongHu.” Santiago smiled maliciously. “Too bad you will be the first test subject for the Spartan’s native life studies.”

A scream was heard outside of the room. A soldier ran in to the room hastily, “It's escaped! It … it's multiplied … grown …It’s big …” His face was filled with horror. Santiago stood up sharply. “Finish them.” She gestured toward Kody and HongHu while preparing to leave the room.

“Hold it!” HongHu drew out a compact pistol and pointed it to Santiago. The soldier stopped hesitantly. “Don’t move or I’ll shoot her!” HongHu moved closer to Kody while trying to hold her gun steady.

Outside shouting mixed with the screams as soldiers started to organize. “Mindworms!” “Mindworm attacks!” “Get your flamethrower!” “Over there!”

Another soldier dashed in and reported, “Mindworms sighted at the north entrance of the base!” Nobody moved.

“It has called its companions.” HongHu reached for Kody’s hand unconsciously, but found only empty air.

Santiago could feel the adrenaline coursing through her system. It had been a long time since she had not fought from a superior position. Fighting the mindworms was exciting, but they lacked the cunning and unpredictability of humans. There were disadvantages with absolute powers, she sighed to herself.

“If you would sign a submissive pact with the Spartans I will let you go Lady HongHu.”

“No. I want you to make a promise not to betray us, as well as the Peacekeepers. I know you have the wisdom to see the right choice and the willpower to keep a promise, if you want.” HongHu put both of her hands to hold her gun, tightening her grip.

“HaHaHaHa…” Santiago laughed out loudly, “You are such a sweet soul.” She spoke with scorn. “Have you ever fired a shot at another person, my dear lady of love?”

“I have.” The near deafening crack of gunfire followed Kody’s cold and steady words. Santiago's eyes widened with surprise. A streak of black blood slowly flowed out from her right temple as she fell back into the chair behind her.

You can’t miss at point blank. Kody thought to himself while trying to suppress nervous laughter. The two soldiers ran to their leader, stunned and unable to comprehend what was happening. She was like a goddess to them. One soldier opened his mouth attempting to call for backups, and was silenced by Kody’s threatening and commanding glare.

Kody turned toward the door, grabbing HongHu’s hand with his own. “Let’s go.”

“Why did you kill her?” Lady HongHu was still astounded.

“It’s either her or us, can’t you see that?” Kody argued. This was not the time to talk about this. Santiago would never forgive them. She would loathe every single concession that she was forced to make. Her revenge would be unthinkable when she regained control. Killing her was the best option there was.

“He was a murderer before he even landed on this planet.” HongHu’s body froze, shocked to hear this coarse voice. She turned around toward the dying Santiago. “He’s betrayed Captain Garland. He’s betrayed me. One day he will betray you.” Satisfied with the effect of her statement, Santiago slouched, her body devoid of life.

A dark pall enveloped HongHu as scenes of the past flashed through her mind. Captain Garland … The endless nights she spent sitting alone in the dark missing his presence with an aching heart … She remembered when, as a child back in the earth, somebody told her that every man she loved would die. She had never believed it.

Slowly HongHu turned to Kody. “You killed him.” She whispered.

“Yes.”

She raised her pistol toward Kody. “Why?”

“I don’t know.”

“No,” HongHu pressed, “It couldn’t be you. Tell me, why?”

Kody sighed. “It was a long story. Do you want to hear it?”

Tears welled up to her eyes. HongHu slowly shake her head. “No.”

“Kill me if you want. I already have more debts than I can repay.”

Tears ran down the curves of her cheeks. Her hand trembled. She could not pull the trigger.

A sudden gunshot rang out reverberating through her bones as HongHu lowered her gun. She watched as an expression of confusion crossed Kody's face and he began to crumple. HongHu's pistol fell to the ground with a clatter as she tried to catch Kody's collapsing body. Looking up Honghu saw one of the soldiers unsteadily lowered his gun.

“Kody!” HongHu knelt down beside Kody. She tore of a piece of cloth from her green gown, trying to plug the bloody hole in Kody’s chest. “Medics! Somebody!” The green cloth turned red as HongHu pressed on Kody’s chest. “Oh god, please, don’t die, Kody, please,” She cried, “I didn’t mean it when I said no. I want you to live and tell me your story. Please, please…”

Darkness swirled over Kody’s vision. The wild screams seemed far away as if it was in another world. It was difficult to breathe. She was crying … Her hands pressing on his chest … “It’s not important, HongHu.” The pain was fading … It felt like too much effort to breathe. “The mindworms are out of control. You can still save yourself. You have the psych power.” HongHu tore another piece of cloth from her gown and wrapped it around Kody’s chest. She tried to pull him up. Why hadn’t anybody come to help her? “This won’t do,” Kody murmured, “You need to go.”

The shouting and screams were sporadic now. HongHu stopped her futile effort and gently laid Kody back on the floor. She knelt down again beside him, and wiped away a streak of blood that had smeared Kody’s face.

“Sorry for being such an emotional and unreasonable girl sometimes.” She said quietly to Kody.

The room was filled with orange colored wiggling tentacles. The two soldiers were nowhere to be found.

Kody looked at HongHu, his eyes focusing at a point beyond her face. “The Gaians need you. You are their heart.”

“They are not important. They can take care of themselves.” HongHu replied absentmindedly as she took a long last look at Kody. She gently pressed a kiss on his cheek, and turned away from him, crossed her legs, positioned her hands in front of her chest like an orchid, and closed her eyes.

The mindworms started to move around HongHu and Kody, slowly, and gradually increasing their speed. Kody watched as HongHu stood up, and slowly started dancing. A whisper echoed in his mind, “Goodbye … Please forgive me …” Kody felt a sharp pain in his heart, and the darkness took over … Beside Kody, a mindworm dropped on HongHu’s body.
          Last edited by Snowflake; July 19, 2004, 10:15.
          Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

• With this, I'll again ask for a replacement for the Gaians.

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

• Well it's a shame. Good story by the way though, very gripping

I tend to think this game is over though, as we now need to find replacements for 3/7 players. Considering the majority of players are currently replacements (I think anyway!) we'll be in a replacement only PBEM. I know from my point of view, I'd have done much differently if I'd been CEO from turn 1.

If people want to carry on, then so will I, but as I said, I think this game is more or less dead
              Play hangman.

Comment

• I tend to agree with Chaunk. A waste of effort.
                On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

• If it can help a person or two can be changed into an AI.

I suppose I can either let Barithus do the change, since he seems trustworthy, or I can do it myself.

Email me what you guys decide.

Comment

• Heart of Fire --> Trashcan

Comment

• Maybe I can take Enigma's place.

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

• That works.
                        Can I see some of your past games?
                        I'm interested to see where you are at around 2120, 2130 and 2150,
                        since I have no records of your skill level.

Comment

• I have never played as University.

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

• Oh, no prob for me, take the Gaians then...
                            He who knows others is wise.
                            He who knows himself is enlightened.
                            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• How about Enigma takes the uni, I take the Gaian, and Googlie take the Spartans.

Ok it's just a thought, please don't throw rocks at me.

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

• Why don't you just start a new game and I'll CMN it for you - that way Kody can still play in the new game:

Gaia's Stepdaughters - Lady Snowflake
                                Human Hive - Chairman GeoModder
                                University of Planet - Magi Enigma_Nova
                                Morgan Industries - CEO Chaunk
                                Spartan Federation - Colonel Kody
                                Lord's Believers - Father Chaos Theory
                                Peacekeeping Forces - Commissioner Hercules

No AI to beef up, so it'll be pretty straightforward to set up - I'll follow the original settings (except, do you still want "spoils off" and "no unity pod scattering"?)

What say ye?

G.

Comment

Working...
                                X