No announcement yet.

Heart of Fire Tracking Thread #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're saying it's 5.25 times the time to get across the disc? Venus took almost 6 hours to get across, meaning somewhere around 30 hours no?

Meh, I don't really care for astrophysics anyway...

I have the turn, but need the password. I'm emailing Jamski & Barinthus (the CMN yes?) now.
    Play hangman.

Comment

• I'll let Geomodder argue with you. I'm going to have a nap while Chaunk gets the password.

Comment

• defn.
        Ko'dys-nap n.
        An excuse for Kody to spam forums other than apolyton, while making it look like he's simply recharging his spam batteries.

And yeah, minutes = hours. I was sort of fantasising about the turn, and I read 'hours' as 'minutes'.

Comment

• Chaunk: Getting a password of Barinthus won't be easy, I haven't seen him posting in 'Poly in about 5 days now. A PBEM I'm participating with him has stalled by this. Your best shot is Jamski.

And about this eclipsing thing: Firstly, Enigma, B can simply NEVER cross between A and Chiron, since Chiron is orbiting closer around A then B (the latter is technically not correct, but never mind for now). Secondly, even at it's closest distance between Chiron and B, B is never more then a bright dot in the sky. You can't look at it, but it ain't big either at that distance.
          Thirdly, Venus took 4-5 hours to transit the sun on the latter attitudes of the sun, something about 70-80° south. Over the equador it would take Venus at least twice that time. Venus also moves a lot faster around the sun at a distance of about 110 million km then B would perspective to A at a distance of 750 million km.
          He who knows others is wise.
          He who knows himself is enlightened.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• O yes, if you want to try seeing Alpha Centauri A and B eclipsing, try downloading Celestia, a space simulator. Forgot the URL, but it has 'shatters/net' or something alike in it.
            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Then factor that all in, save for the transit time thing.
              I'm measuring B's transit of A's disc, since Chiron orbits A.
              Yes, B will be behind A, but it will still transit behind the disc.

Comment

• A misuse of terms here.

Transit is passing over, eclips technically a literal covering of both bodies...

Need to go now, have a shift coming...
                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• EDIT: Doublepost, Lag

Comment

• The transit of venus was a partial eclipse of the sun by venus.

And I have a Shift coming too1111111111111!

Comment

• Technically venus's transit would be an annular eclipse, rather than a partial eclipse. An annular eclipse is when the eclipsing body appears entirely inside the eclisped body, and does not completely cover it. In a partial eclipse, the eclipsing body never appears entirely within the eclipsed body, and never completely eclipses it.

I would expect the distinction between a transit and a normal annular eclipse is one of degree. A normal annular eclipse substantially blocks out the eclipsed body, whereas a transit is just a speck.
                      "Cutlery confused Stalin"
                      -BBC news

Comment

• Alright alright guys. Those scientific articulations are fine. Notheless, it has nothing to do with whether there are nights in part of or the entire planet. I'd agree that there will be sunshines somewhere all the time ok?

Now the question is, do we have any moons?
                        Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

• Well actually one thing that geomodder mentioned was that Alpha Centuari B would only be a bright dot. Which kindof suggested that if Alpha Centauri A was set B would be only the equalivant of a moon in brightness?

Also just because there's two suns doesn't mean that both can't set.

Comment

• YOU guys are just INSANE
                            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Hercules's brother moons for Honghu; Nessus and Pholus
                              On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

• Originally posted by Kody
                                Well actually one thing that geomodder mentioned was that Alpha Centuari B would only be a bright dot. Which kindof suggested that if Alpha Centauri A was set B would be only the equalivant of a moon in brightness?
                                No, you would get blind by staring at it. I just didn't know a stronger phrasing in english. Not as bright as our sun, perhaps a tenth of it's brightness, but concentrated in a point rather then a disc.
                                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Working...
                                X