The Immortal Crawlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Immortal Crawlers

I'm trying to kill crawlers, because I find them to be a game breaking factor, especially against the A.I., but there's just a problem: SMAC doesn't want to let me do it!

Here's the 2 relevent entries for crawlers in alpha.txt:

#WEAPONS:
    Supply Transport, Supply, 0,10, 8, -1, IndAuto,

#UNITS
    Supply Crawler, Infantry, Supply, Scout, 10, 0, 0, IndAuto, -1, 000000000000000000000000

Now, one would be led to believe that the #UNITS entries are the one controling the arrival of those new * prototypes into the unit workshop, right?

Wrong. When Industrial Automation (IndAuto) is discovered, SMAC ignores whatever is contained in the Supply crawler line of the #UNITS subsection and instead creates a new * prototype unit with an Infantry chassis and whatever weapon is contained in the Supply Transport line of the #WEAPONS subsection, regardless of the actual technology prerequisite of that line.

Example:
    Let's say I change the Supply Transport line of the #WEAPONS subsection from:

to:

Hand Weapons, Gun, 1, 0, 1, -1, None,

What will happen when IndAuto is discovered? SMAC will create a new * prototype with an infantry chassis and a Gun weapon, effectively making a Scout Infantry. But, there's just one problem: the damn thing can still crawl!!!. That's right, even without a Supply weapon module, the unit still is a crawler!

Am I doing something wrong here? Or should I just give up and simply don't build the unit, since the A.I. doesn't build them anyway?

Slightly confused,
    -Hutak

Placing None as the preq would make the weapon available without any tech! To totally disable crawlers, type in Disable.

Hope it's clear now!
    ... This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality...
    ... Pain is an illusion...

Comment

Not really any more clear, no...

As I pointed out, I really doesn't matter what you put in that field, whether it is None, Disable, IndAuto or whatever. It was just an example; SMAC simply doesn't look at that field and puts the unit in anyway.

Comment

Well then you'll just have to put Disable in all fields regarding crawlers. Both in #WEAPONS and #UNITS. Oh yeah and start a new game

I didn't quite get what you were doing (your 1st post)?

Comment

Bump

Comment

clarification

Please forgive me for butting in here , but, as informative as this thread is, it could be unclear what the solution is . You need change only the prerequisite tech (IndAuto) to "Disable". All other items can remain as-is. Here are the two simple changes needed to prevent crawlers from appearing in the game (the examples are from the unedited original (v4.0) alpha.txt).

(1) under
            #WEAPONS
            change
            to
            Supply Transport, Supply, 0,10, 8, -1, Disable,

(2) under
            #UNITS
            change
            Supply Crawler, Infantry, Supply, Scout, 10, 0, 0, IndAuto, -1, 000000000000000000000000
            to
            Supply Crawler, Infantry, Supply, Scout, 10, 0, 0, Disable, -1, 000000000000000000000000
            I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

That's exactly it!

Comment

Hmm......no. That doesn't work. I think Hutek is right. I would love to be proved wrong as I am trying to delay or eliminate crawlers for a mod I am working on.

Disable doesn't work. I tried to change the req tech to Matter Transmisson. That didn't work either. Still came in at Ind. Auto.

Need some help here folks.

Comment

This is a kludge but if you really want to eliminate Supply Crawlers, try setting the prerequisite tech to Transcendent Thought.
                  ACOL owner/administrator

Comment

If Matter didn't take why should any other tech?

Comment

Or better yet, one of the unused User Technologies.
                      Last edited by AnnC; April 5, 2002, 03:48.
                      ACOL owner/administrator

Comment

How baout editing the cost so it becomes uneconomical?
                        Visit First Cultural Industries
                        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

That would cripple the AI when it tries to build them, though.
                          I guess I'm odd amongst SMAC players in that I rarely use crawlers. Sometimes I stick them on squares that're just producing one kind of resource within a base grid (e.g. nutrient-crawling condensers) or send them out to crawl a bonus tile not far away, but other than that I only use them for speeding SPs and prototypes. I guess it's 'cause I don't play multiplayer (or at least, rarely) and I find the AI enough of a pushover as it is.

Still, it'd be nice to have a game or two without them for once. Isn't it possible to auto-retire them or something?
                          "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Working...
                          X