Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Map editing: how to set faction starting locations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map editing: how to set faction starting locations?

I D/L'd an earth map for smac from here at polly and I wanted to change the player starting locations. I can't find any sort of option to allow this. Is it available?
    Remember kids: The higher your post count or the faster your computer, the larger your penis!

AFAIK, you can't change the starting location. This is a shame since the game is really rubbish at chosing them
    ... This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality...
    ... Pain is an illusion...

Comment

no prob if you activate the scenario editor. there you can place the starting units (patrols, colony pods or whole cities) like u want.

Comment

Originally posted by TresXF
        no prob if you activate the scenario editor. there you can place the starting units (patrols, colony pods or whole cities) like u want.
        I don't think he means that, or do you? I think what he means is that whenever you play the Earth map, downloadable here at 'Poly, you almost ALWAYS seem to land in Thailand/Malaysia. Only once have I landed in Saudi Arabia (as human) and only once, as aliens, in Australia (after landing like a hundred times in Malasya ). Not saying that I have anything against Thai/Malay people that is!
        ... This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality...
        ... Pain is an illusion...

Comment

the only thing I found was something called "Random Start Location". steps:

a. load the game and Ctrl-K to activate Scenario Editor.
          b. select unit in question, then right-click for menu.
          c. select "Random Start Location"
          d. save scenario from Scenario Menu
          e. Crtl-Shift-Q to quit and restart.
          f. Scenario->Play->scenario name

the random start places me on differing continents, etc. try it and let me know.
          TeknoMerc

Comment

Hmm - just opened a smac game on 'Poly's earth map and started just east of Tibet (Southwest of lake Ariel). Never used it in a game before, just built scenarios around it, but so far I've avoided the Malaysian jungle 100% of the time.

One way to get the 'puter to select different start positions is to load the map thru the scenario editor, then make some other locations more attractive by adding a couple of nutrient squares, a monolith or 2, etc. then save the map. In its next search for a randomn location there will be others to rival the jungle.

G.

Comment

Working...
            X