installing custom factions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing custom factions

so i just went to networknode.org and got some cool-looking factions for SMAX. i unzipped the files and put them in the directory with all the other factions. then i saved alphax.txt somewhere else to make sure i didn't lose the important data. in the game alphax.txt, i typed in the faction names under custom factions, like i'm supposed to. so i open the game, all excited about playing these new factions. everything seemed to go ok... i selected start game, random map, etc., and it was fine until i got to the part where you select your faction. instead of opening that screen, one of the new factions' profiles showed up with the opening quote. confused, i exited, opened alphax again, and deleted the line with that particular faction. i tried opening the game again, and the same thing happened. so i deleted every custom faction from aplhax and tried opening the game. this time the same thing happened, but with dierdre's profile and opening quote.

is there something i'm missing?!?! i finally just used my backup copy of alphax and deleted the one that had the new factions. ggggrrrrrr....

what's going on??? has this ever happened to anybody? i'd appreciate any help, thoughts or ideas anyone might have as to how to make this work.

thank you!
    drones to the left of me, spartans to the right - here i am, stuck in the middle with yang

Bella Hella,

A couple of things...Deirdre's faction comes up when there is nowhere for the program to go..that's because there is a default faction, which is a mirror of the Gaians called Faction.txt, Faction.pcx, etc...

I don't have Smax, but I know you CAN install custom factions by the method you describe...take a look at how SITS installs Aldebaran factions:
    Nope - you're not doing anything silly. This will apply to all PC users who have also installed Alien Crossfire.

As you have noticed, for some reason, Firaxis have taken the 'load' button from the bottom of the SMAC loading screen. All you need to do to get around this is go into the alpha.txt (Aldebaran version) - near the bottom there will be a list of factions that read:
    code:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #FACTIONS
    PLANETLOVERAI, PLANETLOVERAI
    SYNDICATAI, SYNDICATAI
    UNIVERSALAI, UNIVERSALAI
    AQUATICAI, AQUATICAI
    OUTLAWAI, OUTLAWAI
    GALACTICAI, GALACTICAI
    PEACENIKAI, PEACENIKAI

Quite simply, all you have to do is remove the 'AI' from the end of the faction(s) you want to play. So, for example, if you wanted to play the Peaceniks, you would change the above lines to:

code:
    #FACTIONS
    PLANETLOVERAI, PLANETLOVERAI
    SYNDICATAI, SYNDICATAI
    UNIVERSALAI, UNIVERSALAI
    AQUATICAI, AQUATICAI
    OUTLAWAI, OUTLAWAI
    GALACTICAI, GALACTICAI
    PEACENIK, PEACENIK

That's all there is to it
    Maybe that will help you. Make sure to change both instances of the name.

-Smack
    Visit Aldebaran:Aldebaranweb

Comment

Factions

I have SMAC and am wondering if altering the game (specifically the factions) is as simple as it was in Civ 2. By that I mean, can you do that by merely changing the text files? All I want to change is the faction name, leader name and their attributes. I don't care about leader portraits. Thanks in advance.
      Your ad here!

Comment

Yes, that's all there is to it. Be SURE to change the #GAIANS line to the name of the savefile as well, or it won't load properly...see the mod-makers manual for more. With Smac (not Smax) you just click the 'load faction' button and type in all-caps the name of the save-file.

-Smack
        Visit Aldebaran:Aldebaranweb

Comment

Oh yeah, I had this horrible problem before a LONG time ago, before my little brother smashed the CD

The problem here is Alpha Centauir.ini and NOT alpha.txt.

Look it up and look where there is part where it says FACTION=factionname (eg. FACTION = GAIANS) and replace the factions you want out of your next game and place in the capital name (such as REPLICNT for the Replicants from NetNode ) in their place. Otherwise, delete the whole "FACTION=..." section, but a word of warning that I haven't tried that way of getting rid of the bug.

I had it happen with seeing Roze's boring old face instead of Creator Chaue from the Genesis...
          ... This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality...
          ... Pain is an illusion...

Comment

I am also trying to install a custom faction, but no matter what I do, It always comes up as the Gaians(except with the new factions stats)
            help me please! I've tried everything suggested in this thread, and nothing works.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenoct
              With Smac (not Smax) you just click the 'load faction' button and type in all-caps the name of the save-file.
              I remember using this button, but now it's gone! Could it be that the lastest patch ditched it? And yes, I am running good old SMAC.

Comment

I cannot access the faction bonuses and penalties, either. I recall doing so. What is going on here?

Comment

Working...
                X