How to prevent seacolonies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to prevent seacolonies?

I don’t like sea colonisation very much and I assume the easiest way to prevent it would be by disallowing colony pod to be placed on ships but I haven’t found out how to do that.

Help would be much appreciated.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Simplest way is to disable colony module in Weapons section of alpha.txt (replace "None" in final column with "Disable"). That's it. There is already a Colony Pod unit available to all factions (in the Units section), so as long as you don't need a Speeder Colony Pod you're already set.

This prevents the AI from building sea colonies. However, human players can get around the restriction by going to the Unit Workshop, loading the Colony Pod unit, and making adjustments. If you want to play multi-player and go past a simple house rule, you can make the Colony module insanely expensive to build (I don't know how many digits the computer reads from that column, you could experiment with a number like 9999 and see). If you do that, you have to then go back and change what a Colony Pod unit costs. I forget how many rows of minerals it takes off hand, 4 I believe. Change the Cost column in Units to 4.

I don't like sea colonies much either. In my mod Harsh Planet (available from me at fgallag105@aol.com ) I lessened their effect by having the computer make most of the ocean deep water, with very little ocean shelf. This makes most sea bases worthless since you can't terraform the surrounding sea. Then, in starting a new game, I create custom worlds with 30-50% Ocean, so there's a lot more land to colonize. I think the AI handles land bases better than sea bases anyway. For more info on the Harsh Planet mod, see the thread of the same name in this part of the forums.

Comment

Gallagher, that’s great, thanks for your help.

I’ve checked your mod, it seems interesting but I’m currently satisfied with most of the standard settings. (I’m in blissfully ignorant about cunning tricks to exploit game imbalances )

Although... wouldn’t there happen to be a mod with an expanded list of standard units so that I can ignore the unit workshop? (that’s another aspect I don’t like very much)
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Working...
      X