New ability for formers? (Canals)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ability for formers? (Canals)

Is there a way to add functionality to existing units? If so, I think one good idea would be to make it possible for formers to build canals. There are some points on the map where a canal would be VERY useful. That long peninsula on the eastern continent, and along the Freshwater Sea are two examples. An aquatic faction would probably find this function very useful for using land squares. As would a faction that is largely landlocked. Canals would also open other options for commerce. For example, a landlocked city that is serviced by a canal can build and utilize supply trawlers to exploit ocean squares that would otherwise be inaccessible. Rivers would also become more valuable, because rivers that are supplemented by canals can support both ground and sea units. Read on.

Visually, I'm picturing a canal as looking like a road, blue-gray in color. Canals can co-exist with roads, transit tubes, and farms, though they may be hard to see. I was thinking that the presence of a major enhancement like solar panels, a mirror, or a mine, would prevent building a canal. But that may be hard to program.

For construction, canals can be constructed by any type of former unit. However, a canal must be built on a tile that is adjacent to a body of water at least one tile in size, or a tile that already contains a canal. Base construction time should be 6 turns. The presence of a river will reduce this construction time by 2 turns, while moist conditions and steady rainfall will reduce construction by 1 turn, cumulatively.

Functionally, any sea unit can travel through a canal. However, movement will be reduced to 1-2 tiles per turn. This reflects the need for precision sailing in a very tight space, and the use of locks to deal with elevation changes. If a sea unit is a transport, any ground units it carries can be deployed in any tile the unit stops in.

If canals can co-exist in tiles with mines, they could increase the yield of a mine by one mineral unit, as is done with roads.

There are other options that could be included with canals. For example, farms in a canal tile may have an increased yield. Or, arid tiles that have a canal may be "upgraded" to moist. Both of these cases simulate the presence of increased irrigation. However, they may be unbalancing.

One thing that should not be possible is for a sea colony pod to establish a base on a land tile with a canal. Using a canal to let a sea colony pod reach an inland sea or lake, however, would be fine. Land colony pods can build a base in the same tile as a canal. This wouldn't be much different from building a base on a road. If an ocean transport moves a land colony pod into position using canals, that's OK, but not very efficient.

Anyway, how does this idea sound? If only as a mental exercise? Has this every been considered or discussed before? I'll be flabbergasted if I'm the first person to think of this.

You want Yitzi for that. http://alphacentauri2.info/index.php?board=23.0
    AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
    JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

I've not heard of canals like that being discussed.
      The idea of a sea former being allowed to cut a sea path but only one tile wide has been raised.
      I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Working...
      X