Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tech tree, and which techs show up in a mod...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech tree, and which techs show up in a mod...

So, regarding the stupid hardcoded rules that make some of the techs not show up, even if you have the prerequisites, I was just reading About Beelining to Industrial Automation..., and someone said (post #10) that this has something to do with the slot # in alpha(x).txt that the tech uses. Has this been verified, and does it apply the same to SMAX, or just vanilla?

I'm reworking the tech tree for a mod, so does this mean that if I cut+paste a tech to a different row, I can make it show up when it normally wouldn't?

For example, if I have Techs A, B, C, and D researched, then tech E should show up because its prereqs are C and D, but it doesn't -- only F, G, and H show up. If I have E and F swich places, would that make it available instead of F?

I tried using the scenario editor to experiment, but to my dismay I discovered the editor makes all available techs show up all the time. I guess the only way to test this is to play a whole bunch of games

Ah, the tedium...

In short, the game divides techs into three baskets, e.g.

Tech 0 --> basket 0
    Tech 1 --> basket 1
    Tech 2 --> basket 2
    Tech 3 --> basket 0
    Tech 4 --> basket 1
    Tech 5 --> basket 2
    Tech 6 --> basket 0

Any time you have a chance to choose a tech, one of the three baskets will not be available. Which basket can be predicted based on the factions slot # in the .ini file, the number of techs discovered and the number of starting techs.

If you switch places, then E would show up in some cases where it normally would not but it would not show up in other cases where it had previously shown up.

This has been verified and it applies to SMAX as well as SMAC.

I explained it further here and in the following posts.
    Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Alright, thanks. I had trouble understanding the post in the thread I linked to, because I didn't know what "mod 3" means. Your "basket" explanation makes it all clear now.

My usuall University early game involves a beeline to Secrets of the Human Brain, trying to be the first to get it for the free tech, but I usually end up having to get something on the side like Applied Physics first before it'll show up. So if I just trade faction slots with someone, then I'll be able to get Secrets sooner. Good to know.

Comment

You're welcome.

Just make sure the other faction slot isn't three or six slots away, or else the excluded basket remains the same.
        Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Working...
        X