Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presetting landing sites on maps?

Greetings!

Is there any way of presetting each faction's landing site on custom Alpha Centauri map (not in scenario - we just want to play vanilla PBEM SMAC)?
    Last edited by Brumec; August 24, 2009, 09:20. Reason: Clarification

Smac has some algorithm when choosing starting locations. As I understand, you would like to start a game where no one would see the map before the game and at the same time starting locations would be spread, not concentrated?

No really good solution to this, the only way I can think of is having worldbuilder parameters in alpha/x.txt file made such, that later smac algorithm would place factions in acceptable for you manner.
    Mart
    Map creation contest
    WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Originally posted by Mart View Post
      Smac has some algorithm when choosing starting locations. As I understand, you would like to start a game where no one would see the map before the game and at the same time starting locations would be spread, not concentrated?

No really good solution to this, the only way I can think of is having worldbuilder parameters in alpha/x.txt file made such, that later smac algorithm would place factions in acceptable for you manner.
      I'd like to have landing sites as far apart as possible, yes. Not seeing the map is not the prerequisite.

I've found landing algorithm very strange. On transcend and standard Map of Planet, there are very often 4 factions on western L-shaped continent, 3 of them (!) around Freshwater Sea, only two faction on eastern continent, and only one that has all of the central continent for itself.

Situation is usually not better on random-generated maps and, beside that, those maps are usually too fractured and overall quite...unnatural.

I've even tried to modify standard Map of Planet using guidance for Ultimate Builder Map, but without success.

Only Rich Map of Planet from SNAC mod is somewhat better.

I'm specifically interested in standard (or large) maps, not huge, because in multiplayers in which I'm participating and single player games huge maps are too overwhelming and time consuming.

However, Ultimate Builder Map is quite good and I'd like to have more such standard and large maps.
      Last edited by Brumec; August 31, 2009, 07:51.

Comment

Check this map, that I made some time ago with special attention to how game places starting locations.
        This is unfortunately 30x60 map, a small one, but might still be good for several human multiplayer.

After I made complete map as a first attempt, then I repeated many times:
        - test how game starts factions
        - do correction to terrain, mostly moisture distribution, rivers, fungus, minor landmarks
        It was a bit time consuming but finally I got some acceptable result. I think.
        Mart
        Map creation contest
        WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Working...
        X