Edited Technology Shortnames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edited Technology Shortnames

I've done a lot of editing in my alphax.txt and one thing I have is four stages of rockets inspired by some of Vel's ideas.
    "Basic Rocketry" - named "Mercury" - gives the Missile chassis and Conventional Payload.
    "Advanced Rocketry" - "Gemini" - gives the Planet Buster.
    "Orbital Spaceflight" - "Apollo" - gives Geosynchronous Survey Pod, Sky Hydroponics Lab, and Orbital Power Transmitter, also the Salvage Unity Fusion Core proposal. It seems like a lot but works well in-game.
    Finally, there is "Advanced Spaceflight" - "Odyssey" - which gives The Living Refinery, Plasma Shard, and Launch/Increase Solar Shade. Do you think Odyssey is a good choice for its name, or is there something better that has only 7 or 8 letters?
    I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

These are good; they have resonance.

Some might say the change would be confusing, but we all had to learn which one "Advanced Rocketry" was once, too. It'll sort itself out.

For the last, in better keeping with the NASA progress theme, how about "Orion"?
    (A name I wish they hadn't chosen for the vehicle in development as the next step, 'cause Orion is an oldish term for something else entirely- a hypothetical nuke-propelled vehicle. Surely the engineering nerds at NASA totally knew that, so the name had to have been chosen by politicians and/or managment suits.)
    AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
    JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

The name for the new manned program to the moon is Constellation. But that's too long for a shortname. I chose Odyssey from one of the Mars programs, before I knew the moon program name. I still use the longnames for when the techs are mentioned in the game, as when discovering or trading. The shortnames are the placeholders used behind the scenes in the program, such as when giving techs to factions or identifying prerequisites.

I have fun with this stuff, and have another tech - "Inspector Gadget" - which gives The Nano Factory
      I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Well the others are names of vehicles as well as their exploration programs-- that was the part that struck me. I still like Orion.

No pasarán

Comment

"Orion is part of the Constellation Program to send human explorers back to the moon, and then onward to Mars and other destinations in the solar system." (NASA - Orion Crew Exploration Vehicle)
          Looks like it might be being considered as an interplanetary vehicle. Good choice for Advanced Spaceflight I think I'll change it.

Comment

Yay!

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by gwillybj View Post
              I have fun with this stuff, and have another tech - "Inspector Gadget" - which gives The Nano Factory

“They preachers dread the advance of science as witches do the approach of daylight and scowl on the fatal harbinger announcing the subversions of the duperies on which they live” - Jefferson

Comment

Working...
              X