User Created Maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russia4Life View Post
    There is something you don't see everyday morgan has the largest military.

How is the game running now without pods?
    It's much easier to determine base placement, since the resource specials are now known.

Petek
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

Somehow I missed this part in your post after I first read it.
      Originally posted by Petek View Post
      I observed something that I don't recall seeing before. I built a condensor. I got the message that "Our Formers have altered the rainfall patterns near $BASENAME0." Right afterwards, I saw that approx. six moist tiles with farms became arid. Is that right? I know that raising or lowering land can change the moisture content, and that condensors raise the moisture of surrounding tiles. Perhaps I just hadn't noticed this in the past.
      I have seen boreholes create rainy tiles before and got a similar message, (you can actually see this happen in the map editor by placing the borehole cluster in various places on the map they may cause rainy tiles to appear). I cannot recall the exact wording of the message at the moment. I do not recall ever getting that message for a condenser before though but I guess if you think about it you are sucking moisture out of the air to cause the surrounding area to get wetter which I guess would logically cause rainy or moist tiles east of it to become drier due to less moisture reach it.

Were the tiles to the east of the condenser by chance? I am curious about this.
      I got scolded in Bold letters by Iluminatus.
      That makes me sad. :(

I can't use smilies in my signature that makes me even more sad. :(

Comment

In regular games, I frequently get "[some faction's] Formers have altered the rainfall patterns near $BASENAME0.", with the base named usually being my youngest. I also get "Our formers" when I build condensors, boreholes, or raise/lower, which I do a lot late-game.

For both, it never seems to have anything to do with my base that is named in the message, and, outside the effects supposed to occur, I rarely notice any effect anywhere, let alone the vicinity of my named base- though it's hard to keep track even on the small maps I favor. Seems buggy. Will copy to scient.
        AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
        JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

I don't think it's a bug. The message that rainfall patterns were altered is a helpful feature, and terraforming does not always have to be followed by the moisture of tiles changing - that is, aside from the normal effects condensors and boreholes have on their neighboring tiles.
          Having another faction mess with your rainfall patterns can be annoying, sometimes enough to go over there and do something about it. Being made aware that your terraforming may be causing your own faction some grief is definitely helpful information.
          I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Somehow I missed this part in your post after I first read it.

Were the tiles to the east of the condenser by chance? I am curious about this.
            The "formerly moist, now arid" tiles were on all sides of the condenser. Other tiles may also have been affected, but I only noticed the ones that had been farmed.

Petek
            -- Kosh

Comment

I am completely puzzled. Am I having a disconnect with everyone over this? The pop-ups are giving me wrong informtion. How is that not a bug?

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Buster's Uncle View Post
                I am completely puzzled. Am I having a disconnect with everyone over this? The pop-ups are giving me wrong informtion. How is that not a bug?
                I think this is a case of you, me and gwillybj reading the same words, but having different interpretations. In my last status report, I referred to a pop-up message regarding the effect of terraforming. I didn't remember the base name, and so I used the variable $BASENAME0 instead. I was concentrating on the effect of building a condenser. You observed that the base name in the pop-up doesn't correspond to what happens in the game (not my game, but in general) and that that seemed buggy. Then, it appears to me, that gwillybj thought that you considered the pop-up message itself to be a bug.

Vyeh has confirmed in the "Fixing SMAX bugs" thread that the base name in the pop-up message is incorrect. However, it was not my intent to raise this issue.

Petek
                -- Kosh

Comment

Whoops. Sorry to add to or create confusion. I should have paid attention to "buggy" vs "a bug". Buster's Uncle is correct that the basename given is not always the base directly affected, if any, and therefor the subroutine that identifies the basename bears at least a looking-into.
                  Being one who micromanages land use (terraforming and resource-gathering), I make a mental note of the basename given then go about my regular routine, noticing moisture changes as I make my rounds.
                  So for me the pop-up is an alert that bears acknowledgement generally, but not necessarily literally.
                  I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Yes. Getting the message is great- or would be, if the effect reported was ever observable or the pop-up even generated the right basenames.

No pasarán

Comment

Russia4Life,

I'm involved with a new SMAC MP forum. The link is:

Could I upload your 5 star map there?
                      Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Status report on game played on the 1024x2048 map:

Faction: University
                        MY: 2200
                        Research status -- Since last report, researched Social Psych and Ethical Calculus
                        Currently researching: Gene Splicing (will be discovered in 2 turns)
                        Research rate: Breakthroughs every 15 turns.
                        Number of Bases: 51
                        SE choices: Free Market, Wealth
                        Running Econ: 50%, Psych: 0%, Labs: 50%
                        ECs on hand: 1811
                        SP status: Built WP, VW and HGP. Currently building PTS. Morgan built the ME.
                        No commlinks yet.

Who's who

Tech: Provost Petek
                        Mil: Lady Deidre
                        Pop: Provost Petek
                        Wealth: Provost Petek
                        Territory: Provost Petek
                        Overall: Provost Petek

Big surprise when University Base experienced an industrial collapse (-1 minerals in each square for the next 10 years). Thought I had random events turned off.
                        -- Kosh

Comment

Originally posted by vyeh View Post
                          Russia4Life,

I'm involved with a new SMAC MP forum. The link is:

Could I upload your 5 star map there?
                          I made it at your request consider, so go ahead and do what you want with it.

How do you think it turned out by the way?

Comment

Russ, you should totally check that link out- it's jumpin' over there.

No pasarán

Comment

I made it at your request consider, so go ahead and do what you want with it.

How do you think it turned out by the way?
                              Thanks.

I like it.

I'm organizing a game. I may have 5 players, mostly beginners, interested, so I am going to suggest your map so I have a chance to work with it.

You are very welcome to join!
                              Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Originally posted by Buster's Uncle View Post
                                Russ, you should totally check that link out- it's jumpin' over there.
                                I went there earlier when I first responded to the post I was just short on time so I didn't sign up there or anything then. I have just now registered there with the same name as here.
                                Originally posted by vyeh View Post
                                Thanks.

I like it.

I'm organizing a game. I may have 5 players, mostly beginners, interested, so I am going to suggest your map so I have a chance to work with it.

You are very welcome to join!
                                Glad you liked it.
                                I replied on one of the threads there I think it was the one you are referring to. Just hoping I do not get pwnd to hard if I get in, beating silly AI's on transcend is one thing playing humans will be something totally different. Especially since I expect the game rules to be totally different from what I normally play.

Comment

Working...
                                X